Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded light loom

Quote Originally Posted by fendervg View Post
    I think the best bet is to get your reflectors re-coated and use a loom. Even with perfect reflectors, the voltage at the headlight will still be lower than it should be and cause a drop in the light output - this is simply a design flaw and facto of life for early VAG cars because of the way the loom is run and the current is routed through the headlight switch.
    If you go and measure yours at the headlight connector, you'll be luck to see 11V there, more 9-10V
    Yeah, very aware of this too. At least the beam pattern is now clearly discernable after the reflectors are fixed though. There's no amount of bulb power can fix this if the reflector is failing.
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    Any follow up on this?
    I'm curious to know what you think of your purchase.

Cheers!

To be honest it looks well made but it is not yet fitted and tested, it was purchased as a spare. I'm far from been knowledgeable about electrics to make a review, I would post some pictures on here for you guys to examine but unfortunately this site is not functioning to allow that.
    Last edited by Keyo; 27th November 2019 at 10:11 AM.

Anyone on here that is clued up on upgraded light looms, I can whatsap/text you some photos of the loom and you can post on the thread your opinions ?? Send me a private pm on here with your contact details and ill send them over.

Cheers.

I reckon re-coated reflectors, Osram Nightbreakers and an uprated loom will give you the best of all worlds.

If the lens is cracked even slightly or not sealed properly then you'll end up with corrosion on the reflector unfortunately.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

I think the best bet is to get your reflectors re-coated and use a loom. Even with perfect reflectors, the voltage at the headlight will still be lower than it should be and cause a drop in the light output - this is simply a design flaw and facto of life for early VAG cars because of the way the loom is run and the current is routed through the headlight switch.
    Yep. I ended making my own loom using heavy gauge wire, did all the joins using heat shrink crimp connectors and sourced waterproof fuse holders and relays. Ideally you want a set-up that has separate relays and fuses for each headlight, so if one relay or fuse goes, you're not plunged into instant darkness.

I've been through about four aftermarket looms on my Mk2 and they all fail eventually because: the wires are just crimped with no sealing / the relays are not waterproof and get soaked under the bonnet and fail - ideally you want either waterproof relays or a sealed box - and always carry a spare in the car - it''s a pretty hostile environment under the bonnet and eventually the water just gets to them and things corrode and die. There was an American site doing what looked like really good quality aftermarket looms for the Corrado, erm, Eurowires I think, but they don't seem to exist any more. The Rayne Automotive ones are okay, but the relays are exposed and one of mine on the Golf just corroded to death, to be fair, they sold me a replacement block of relays quite promptly. Bottom line: making a bombproof wiring loom is actually quite time consuming, which is why the decent ones are expensive.

With the Corrado, you ideally want to use a loom with the OE headlight connectors which adds another layer of expense and complexity, especially as it's a shrinking market.

A bit of a curve ball. I fitted a set of the Philips X-treme Ultinon H4 bulbs to my Mk 2 and they are brilliant. They're not road legal, but the beam pattern is spot on and they are super bright in the standard Golf headlights. These things, they always have a 20% or 25% off code at the top of the site, so more like £120, which is a lot, but they are supposed to last for years:

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/x...-bulbs-h4-twin

We also fitted a set in the legendarily awful headlights of the missus' T5 and though they're not as good as they are in the Golf, they're a lot better than anything halogen we've used - really that thing needs new headlights. I haven't tried them in the Corrado and it's off the road for winter, but I'm planning on sticking a set in come spring time. Expensive, but supposed to last for years. Super simple to install too. I'm not sure that's much use, but it might help someone. They were a total revelation in the GTi, I've tried all sorts in there and they're far and away the best thing I've used and like I said, the beam pattern is as good or better than the halogens. I guess Philips know what they're doing.
    Last edited by Mystic Rado; 27th November 2019 at 1:22 PM.
    Mystic Blue Storm - H&R coilovers - Rear Neuspeed Anti-roll Bar - Magnex - Dieselgeek quick shift and Gruvenparts travel reducer - Few or no functioning brain cells - And a red Mk2 GTi 8v with a TSR-tuned motor.

Good points - I ended up making my own (2 relays) using OEM headlight connectors and spliced in a fourth wire each side for the sidelights. Then I got an old headlight casings and cut out the matching plug socket for the original loom to connect in to. Wrapped everything in heatshrink and OEM exterior loom tape and mounted the relays in a small waterproof box which sits in front of the battery. The two fuse holders were replaced with ones from Posi-Lock and left within easy access. The only failure I've had was when the top radiator hose burst and one of the fuses burnt out. But it takes time and money.

For comparison, the very expensive German loom uses 4 relays, heavy duty sealed quality wiring, a relay box with the fuses mounted in the die and most importantly OEM connectors for the lights, and also OEM sockets each side (so you plug in both sides of your factory loom) to power the sidelights without any extra wiring. The one and only minor fault to this loom, and I've only seen one in the flesh, is that the relay box does not seem to be perfectly water tight and has a poor seal at the join - this can be fixed with some sealant and tape, but should not be needed for the money they cost.

Once again, lack of pictures makes it difficult to explain, but you get the idea.

Holy jeebus - those Philips LED jobbies are dear! They'd want to last a lifetime - I thought £120 was a typo :lol
    Last edited by fendervg; 27th November 2019 at 3:42 PM.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by fendervg View Post
    Good points - I ended up making my own (2 relays) using OEM headlight connectors and spliced in a fourth wire each side for the sidelights. Then I got an old headlight casings and cut out the matching plug socket for the original loom to connect in to. Wrapped everything in heatshrink and OEM exterior loom tape and mounted the relays in a small waterproof box which sits in front of the battery. The two fuse holders were replaced with ones from Posi-Lock and left within easy access. The only failure I've had was when the top radiator hose burst and one of the fuses burnt out. But it takes time and money.

For comparison, the very expensive German loom uses 4 relays, heavy duty sealed quality wiring, a relay box with the fuses mounted in the die and most importantly OEM connectors for the lights, and also OEM sockets each side (so you plug in both sides of your factory loom) to power the sidelights without any extra wiring. The one and only minor fault to this loom, and I've only seen one in the flesh, is that the relay box does not seem to be perfectly water tight and has a poor seal at the join - this can be fixed with some sealant and tape, but should not be needed for the money they cost.

Once again, lack of pictures makes it difficult to explain, but you get the idea.

Holy jeebus - those Philips LED jobbies are dear! They'd want to last a lifetime - I thought £120 was a typo :lol
    Holy light bulb that is expensive.
    Last edited by Keyo; 27th November 2019 at 7:44 PM.

Would these even fit into a Corrado headlight housing? I'm not sure they would, but I'm not buying a set to find out - maybe someone else on here has tried them?

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Keyo View Post
    Thanks Fen , my budget does not cover for that much but Im sure you have found the best one on the market! Anyone else come up with anything ? Im sure I read on here that a member was making them ?

Found this as well off ebay ???
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Corrad...97.m4902.l9144
    I bought this one, the kit looks good and decent quality but I haven't fitted it yet. I'll send you some pictures when I am in my shed next.
    1995 White VR6 CCGB Member 4303
    263 Cams & head refurb | 220 BHP Stealth remap| Miltek non res | Bilstein B12 | R32 Wishbone bushes | VT Mount