Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2.0l 16v problems when hot

Some more info here if needed from the Bentley manual for the 9A eng code.

Spark plugs (normally tripple electrode)
    can cause none start or rough running.

HT leads (cause misfire under load)

Distributor (none start & misfire)
    Also you could check your hall sensor.
    The hall sensor has a 3 terminal/pin plug on side of distributor.

1 is earth (-)
    2 is possibly the trigger/signal
    3 is live (+)

Using your multimeter again set at 20v DC check across/between terminals 1 & 3 ideally you should have 9v to 12v here with ignition on.
    If no voltage is found then do continuity test below.

Looks like terminal 3 of hall sensor is partially linked to terminal 30 of ECU,
    as it says check for continuity with ignition off between these two terminal/pins.

Terminal 1 of hall sensor is earth connection goes back in ECU main wiring loom

Terminal 2 of hall sensor is trigger/signal is linked to terminal 30 of ECU

Terminal 3 of hall sensor is linked to terminal 21 of ECU
    i.e as live feed to hall sensor.

Distributor cap (none start & rough running)

Rotor arm (none start & rough running)

Pickup sensor (normally on HT lead n.o 4)

Ignition timing = affects idle & rough running if set wrong.
    Should be set at 6° +or- 1°
    idle speed 800rpm to 1000rpm
    1990 onwards

Knock sensors = engine can be down slightly on power or slight misfire.
    Terminal 27 and 29 when using multimeter should see 1.5 ohms according to Bentley manual, I think with knock sensor connector plugs still plugged in.
    If no readings or don't match 1.5 ohms possible there's a break in wiring from ECU or sensor/s are dead.

Ignition coil/coil pack.
    so on the coil at the live end you should see where the HT King lead is attached.
    Each side of this there should be two terminal contacts.
    1 = - (minus)
    15 = + (positive)
    With a multimeter set to 20v DC put the meter across/between these two, you should see 2v for a few seconds with ignition on.

Ignition module control unit.
    I think this has a 7 terminal/pin connector plug.
    This unit is normally close to coil but on the back of bulkhead same side as wipers, possibly under plastic tray.
    Or it could be right beside coil on a alloy heat plate.

Terminal 2 (-) earth
    and
    terminal 4 (+) I think goes to terminal 15 on coil.
    check with multimeter pins 2 & 4 you should have 12v DC with ignition on.

If showing no power to coil or ignition module then could be a broken wire / wiring fault somewhere.

Si
    Last edited by vw rule; 3 Weeks Ago at 1:11 AM.
    Had MK2 1.8 Scirocco Scarla 1998 to 2002
    had it lowered on original wheels,
    K&N air fitler and Janspeed exhaust system.

Now have 94 M reg Corrado 2.0 16v since 2002 still got it, been off the road now since early 2015
    hoping to get it finished this year.

Also have a 2015 Seat Ibiza TSI i-tech as my daily driver. Plus I'm on The SEAT Forum.

Link to 16v torque settings & ECU pin locations.
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...fuel-pressures

Fuel system according to the Bentley manual

Coolant temperature switch = can cause none start & rough running when cold or hot.
    Check terminals 3 and 35 on ECU for coolant temp switch with plug attached to sensor,
    cold 8000ohms + or -
    hot 200ohms + or -
    According to Bentley manual

Air flow meter/sensor = cause none start & rough running.
    Check terminals 26 & 23 on ECU = air flow sensor plate at rest position = should see 5000ohms + or -
    If no readings then possible break in wiring to air flow sensor.

Also check terminals 26 & 35 on ECU = air flow sensor plate at rest position = should see 4000ohms + or -
    If no readings then possible break in wiring to air flow sensor pin 3 or break in earth wire from ECU i.e terminal 35

Air flow meter sensor.
    This sensor has a 3 terminal/pin connector plug.

1 = live (+)
    2 = possibly the trigger/signal
    3 = earth (-)

Again check you have power to this sensor.

Terminal 1 of air flow sensor is linked to
    terminal 26 of ECU.

Looks like terminal 2 of air flow sensor is linked to terminal 23 of ECU.

Terminal 3 of above sensor says is earth connection goes back in ECU main wiring loom.

Also in the Bentley manual it says it's possible to check condition of the air flow sensor, with a multimeter set at 20 Volts DC

Switch ignition on and check voltage between terminals 1 (+) and terminal 3 (-)
    reading should be 4.35v to 5.35v for input voltage if the voltage is not in above range or no readings then possible wiring fault.

NEXT switch ignition off and connect the multimeter between terminal 2 (signal pin) and terminal 3 (-) now start engine and allow to idle for at least 2 to 3 minutes, the output voltage should drop to 0.7v to 0.9v if not in range this can cause running issues.

The Bentley manual states the output range can be adjusted, BUT ONLY IF OUT OF RANGE as the air flow sensor/metering head is set up at the factory when car was new.

differential fuel pressure governor/regulator.
    This item is on the fuel metering head, attached to the front side facing the alternator pulley of air filter box,
    it's normally got a thick plastic cover protecting it.
    It says the pressure regulator is held in place by two ANTI MAGNETIC BOLTS, so I presume not to cause any interference,
    as this sensor receives variations in resistance flow, from ECU via throttle response and air flow meter sensor plate,
    plus signal from coolant temp switch.

Again you need to check this pressure regulator is working,
    looks like you do this by checking the resistance flow via the 2 terminal/pin connector plug.

Or by terminal/pin 4 and terminal/pin 5 of the main 35 pin ECU harness lead.

Resistance readings should be 15 to 20 ohms

Also it says the pressure regulator/governor if found to be faulty CAN NOT BE REPAIRED as it's a sealed unit.

Si
    Last edited by vw rule; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:48 AM.

Now have 94 M reg Corrado 2.0 16v since 2002 still got it, been off the road now since early 2015

Also have a 2015 Seat Ibiza TSI i-tech as my daily driver. Plus I'm on The SEAT Forum.

9A ECU has 35 terminal pins on ECU and wiring harness plug.

(Main power to ECU is terminal/pin 19) 1.5mm red wire,
    you should have 12v DC here when ignition is switched on,
    and still when key is turned to crank engine.
    If no power then check fuses, just in case.

(Earth points for ECU is
    terminal/pin 35)
    1mm brown wire,
    looks like this is the main earth for unit. This earth goes through ECU wiring harness/loom possibly to fuse box.
    This wire changes colour in harness/loom or from fuse box, (changes to 1mm brown/white wire) and goes to valve cover at the back on the right in engine bay,
    close to where the distributor is. Should be a small rectangle bracket with 1 or 2 threaded stud/s, there are several earth wire's bolted to it to ground.

Si

Lots of great info from everyone. Looks like its a weekend with a multimeter. Will report back. Many thanks everyone.

Did a check on the coolant temp sensor ( 2 pin connector to left of dizzy. 2300 ohms at room temp. 400 ohms sitting in freshly boiled water. So its working but a bit out of range maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Dandan62 View Post
    Did a check on the coolant temp sensor ( 2 pin connector to left of dizzy. 2300 ohms at room temp. 400 ohms sitting in freshly boiled water. So its working but a bit out of range maybe?
    Yes it's out of specified range according to the Bentley manual, the 16v engine's heat up to a running temperature of 87°C to 90°C max, and the sensor should read between 200 and 300 ohms, if you've boiled water which is basically 100°C it should have reached a lower reading then 250ish ohms, as it's only got to 400ohms in hot boiling water, it looks like the sensor is on the weak side, which can effect signals sent to air flow sensor and fuel governor pressure regulator, as they need the correct readings from ECU.

You've mentioned your son's Corrado run's smooth from cold, but plays up once up to running temperature.

Si

The Bentley manual says you can check the voltage input and output readings, from the air flow sensor with multimeter, but states the engine has to be at running temperature, and ideally has correct readings from throttle position switch, coolant temperature switch, and fuel governor pressure regulator via ECU, otherwise you could be seeing false readings.

Si

Not had much time between rain to get at the car. New temp sensor read the same ohms as the old one. Must be my meter! Sadly didn't solve the problem. At least it is ruled out cheaply.

Hello mate,

I've seen you've posted up on your other thread about not needing another (9A) fuel metering head, have you had any joy in tracing the hot running issue.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...ad-2-0l-16v-9a

Si

Sadly this car has been sold to an enthusiast who knows about the problem. We are glad its going to a good home and not being sold for parts. Hopefully a Corrado on the road for many more years.
    Thanks for everyone's help and time taken to try and help.