Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2.0l 16v problems when hot

Excellent info. Will start with coolant sensor. I know that just unplugging it makes no difference.

Confused by these sensors. I'm reading that the 2 pin one is the radiator fan switch. The fan comes on correctly when hot so I'm assuming its giving the correct reading. Is it also communicating with the ecu?

Quote Originally Posted by Dandan62 View Post
    Confused by these sensors. I'm reading that the 2 pin one is the radiator fan switch. The fan comes on correctly when hot so I'm assuming its giving the correct reading. Is it also communicating with the ecu?
    There's a 4 pin fan sensor in bottom left of radiator that's the main fan sensor, then the over run temp fan sensor with one wire, is attached to front left of valve cover.

The coolant temperature switch is the one with the 2 pins, this is the one that should communicate with the ECU.
    I'm not aware of the coolant temp switch being partly connected to the radiator fan, they're usually independent I suppose it's possible it could send a trigger signal.
    I'll have to check the wiring diagrams this evening after work.

Q: What are you reading from another manual ?

Si
    Had MK2 1.8 Scirocco Scarla 1998 to 2002
    had it lowered on original wheels,
    K&N air fitler and Janspeed exhaust system.

Now have 94 M reg Corrado 2.0 16v since 2002 still got it, been off the road now since early 2015
    hoping to get it finished this year.

Also have a 2015 Seat Ibiza TSI i-tech as my daily driver. Plus I'm on The SEAT Forum.

Link to 16v torque settings & ECU pin locations.
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...fuel-pressures

That makes sense. I've read so many threads elsewhere on this. Your reply answers this perfectly. Many thanks. First thing I'll check next weekend. Cheap part at least! Will check resistance first.

That makes sense. I've read so many threads elsewhere on this. Your reply answers this perfectly. Many thanks. First thing I'll check next weekend. Cheap part at least! Will check resistance first.
    The resistance reading should be high when temperature is cold, then drop down as temperature increases.

All the Bentley manual says is at 50°c should read approx between 700 & 900 ohms,
    then at 90°C should read approx 200 to 300 ohms.
    If the coolant temp switch is cold or temperature is 0°C then ohms reading will be a lot higher.

The Bentley manual says if readings are different i.e not in above range at 50°C and 87-90°C then coolant temp switch is faulty.

Si
    Last edited by vw rule; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:34 AM.

Now have 94 M reg Corrado 2.0 16v since 2002 still got it, been off the road now since early 2015

Also have a 2015 Seat Ibiza TSI i-tech as my daily driver. Plus I'm on The SEAT Forum.

Thanks. I've only ever tested single pin ones before. Body of sensor to either pin to get resistance? Sorry. Probably a basic question!

Thanks. I've only ever tested single pin ones before. Body of sensor to either pin to get resistance? Sorry. Probably a basic question!
    Normally check across/between the 2 pins.

Si

Q: is there plenty of water in the coolant expansion bottle, is your oil level ok ?
    Only asking as the head gasket can sometimes fail across two cylinders, but you won't have any problems untill it's up to running temperature.

You can check/test compressions with compression tester, first when engine is cold, then when it's hot.
    I've had this before on a VW Passat years ago.

Have you checked the valve timing ?
    As that can cause weird running issues.

Are the exhaust fumes popping/banging when exiting exhaust tail pipe, is it smoking at all ?

Is there a strong rich smell of fuel ?

Si

Hi. Head gasket good. Was my first thought. Timing all good too. Runs beautifully cold. No fumes when rough.

Hi. Head gasket good. Was my first thought. Timing all good too. Runs beautifully cold. No fumes when rough.
    Ok so possibly could be electrical,
    you could like I say try a replacement coolant temperature switch, or have you tested it ?

Test values should be I think:

Cold = 0°C to 3°C
    9000ohms to 8000ohms but should start dropping down once temperature increases.

Hot = 80°C to 87°C
    250ohms to 175ohms

Si