Thread: Corrado VR6 auto

Corrado VR6 auto

Hi everyone, picked up my auto VR6 about a week ago, had a manual many years ago and have always wanted another. I decided to go for this one as it had really low mileage and was in great condition with service history. I was a little apprehensive about an auto but the sport mode works really well in my opinion, I know not everyone is a fan of autos but Iím really enjoying it and itís putting a big smile on my face every time I drive it.
    I do have a question, specifically about the auto. The shifter is not lit. I find it a little difficult driving at night, Iím sure over time I will become accustomed to where to place the shifter but should it be illuminated? I donít want to take it apart unnecessarily if itís functioning as intended?
    My heater controls are not lighting properly and itís a job on my list to rectify, could this be linked. Thanks for any help.
    Ray

Ray,
    Welcome and glad to hear you are enjoying the car. The heater controls are notoriously dimly lit. It is possible to sort this and Im sure someone else will be along to tell you exactly how. I previously owned an Auto VR6 and as far as I remember the gear numbers did light up at night. I seem to remember in white with the engaged gear in green or red. It was a few years ago so not too sure of exact colours. Again, I am sure somebody who has owned an Auto more recently will be able to tell you definitively.
    94 16v Classic Green M447BLE, 95 VR6 Aqua Blue N585BUA, 95 VR6 Storm Mystic Blue M200DAN, 94 VR6 Classic Green M159LYF, 96 VR6 Moonlight Blue N866XSX, 94 VR6 Classic Green M803 XMB, 95 VR6 Storm Classic Green M964XSX, 94 VR6 Aqua Blue M420BOY, 95 VR6 Blackberry N320MRN, 95 VR6 Storm Classic Green N804FLM, 95 VR6 Storm Classic Green N479WAN

Welcome along and congrats on another corrado. I would check the fuse for the gear shift light , then check the bulb . I presume it has a strip of polarised film like the dash does . This could be worn . You can buy the film in small strips and cut to size . As Bill said though someone with an auto will be able to advise you more .

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

There is a small bulb just below the shifter. If you remove the cover you'll see it - when mine was an auto i swopped this out for a red led. Easy job, just a bit fiddly. Once you remove the shifter cover you'll see what i mean.
    There is also a plastic diffuser cover on the light whoch clips over each side. Remove this carefully - easy to break when the plastic is cold! Its quite useful as otherwise you get a spot of light on the selector which invariably doesn't point to the right gear.
    Last edited by fla; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:14 AM.
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

If you need another plastic diffuser strip i have some, my ex-girlfriend had an auto few years ago, I got the strip with P,D,N etc reprinted because her's was cracked/broken. Cost a fortune! sold a few on here couple of years ago, guys were pleased with them as far aware, thread on here somewhere......
    1995 VR6 "Black Magic Pearl"
    1995 VR6 "Mystic blue" Storm edition
    CCGB 4302

1995 VR6 "Black Magic Pearl"
    1995 VR6 "Mystic blue" Storm edition
    CCGB 4302

Thanks for the reply guys. All really helpful. The strip looks in good condition but if it breaks when I open it up I shall let you know thanks. At least I know now all is not as it should be and I can do something about it.

Thanks for the replyís. All really helpful. At least I know now thereís a problem.