Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Respray/Bodywork

Quote Originally Posted by robrado974 View Post
    I paid 3k for the roof to be cut 4” back from the screen .
    The usual rust by the rear wiper .
    Bubbles on the screen edge of the boot lid going up towards the roof on both sides
    The body work was cut out of both rear windows .
    There was other stuff as well but without looking at the receipt I can’t remember. The price for removing all the glass removal and refitting and new front screen seals was inc .
    Edit. The car had a full detail as well .
    Is that 3k in total, was that restoshack in Devon? Sounds really good!
    1995 White VR6 CCGB Member 4303
    263 Cams & head refurb | 220 BHP Stealth remap| Miltek non res | Bilstein B12 | R32 Wishbone bushes | VT Mount

Yes it was mate . Things are slowly coming back to me now (I’m getting on )lol. The rear bumper had spidering in the paint so that was done as well.

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

That is really good, their facebook page and documented progress looks awesome. Well worth the trip by the looks of things.

Found yours in their picture gallery - lots of work done and looks bloody great. I love your alloys. What suspension setup are you running, looks perfect.

https://www.facebook.com/RestoShack/...type=3&theater
    1995 White VR6 CCGB Member 4303
    263 Cams & head refurb | 220 BHP Stealth remap| Miltek non res | Bilstein B12 | R32 Wishbone bushes | VT Mount

Yeah the pics are on here too, but probably can’t be viewed at the moment. She’s currently on Koni’s . I like the ride height and they are not rock hard . I’m too old for hugging the weeds and feeling stones under the wheels lol . The alloys are compomotive’s , bought in a forum group buy in 2012 . Thanks for the compliments.

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

i paid £2700 for a complete respray 3 years ago (flash red) i stripped the car completely, the body shop removed the rear side windows the tail gate screen remained just removed the seal. i removed the windscreen myself as it had been a badly fitted replacement with so much sealant it was stuck to the A pillar trims.i carried out some minor welding repairs to the rear sill / wheel arch joint. There was the usual shopping trolley dents and a crease in the rear bumper which were all repaired
    The level of finish was excellent and still looks as good today although the car does not get much use.
    At the time when he delivered the car back the bodyshop owner had under priced the work a little as the car took longer to prep as the old paint kept clogging up his sanders. This guy knew his stuff a quick walk around my car and he could tell which panels had seen paint in the past .

Crap me do you think the front windscreen was replaced at some point and the fitter didn't bond it that well and let water in, glad to see you sorted it though, this is a famous problem in Porsche 993 + 964.
    Last edited by Keyo; 20th November 2019 at 8:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ger040 View Post
    i paid £2700 for a complete respray 3 years ago (flash red) i stripped the car completely, the body shop removed the rear side windows the tail gate screen remained just removed the seal. i removed the windscreen myself as it had been a badly fitted replacement with so much sealant it was stuck to the A pillar trims.i carried out some minor welding repairs to the rear sill / wheel arch joint. There was the usual shopping trolley dents and a crease in the rear bumper which were all repaired
    The level of finish was excellent and still looks as good today although the car does not get much use.
    At the time when he delivered the car back the bodyshop owner had under priced the work a little as the car took longer to prep as the old paint kept clogging up his sanders. This guy knew his stuff a quick walk around my car and he could tell which panels had seen paint in the past .
    That's the price I would like to hear ! I got quoted up to 3 k on my car for x2 sides. kept going back to the body shop and ended up building the guy some racks out of scaffolding and parting with 1.1k.
    Last edited by Keyo; 20th November 2019 at 7:24 PM.

I paid a little under £3k (no VAT) for a glass out respray albeit 11 years ago! Wasn't much rust to resolve. Was great for a time but the job lasted about 8 years (it wasn't garaged much and was left parked up for 2 years) Renewed a few bits of trim at the same time.
    I'm undertaking a full resto now, I'm stripping the shell and rebuilding. Welding and Spray work will be circa £8k/£9k. New panels about £1500. Two visits to a dip will be 2-3k I'd expect.
    My Storm HERE | 17" BBS RCs | Aero Wipers | BMC CDA | 19 Row Mocal | KWs | 312 Fronts | 263 cams | EVO Featured
    AM V12V | SQ5 | Caterham R400R | Clio 197 Cup | Series 1 Landy | Standard Corrado VR6 spare with no plans |

Quote Originally Posted by Keyo View Post
    That's the price I would like to hear ! I got quoted up to 3 k on my car for x2 sides. kept going back to the body shop and ended up building the guy some racks out of scaffolding and parting with 1.1k.
    i find that trying to find someone who carries out good welding work is what is difficult now. the last car that needed quite a bit of welding was carried out by a local elderly gentleman who has since passed away and his work was first class and took a great deal of pride in his work and did not charge excessive amounts of money. he even did work for a local german prestige dealership who look after older cars for long term customers who would not trust their own bodyshops to carry out repairs. A lot just cover up the rust!

That price you got quoted is what i would expect going through insurance which we all know is a racket!
    Last edited by ger040; 21st November 2019 at 11:05 AM.

My car was repainted in 2012. I paid £2,500 with no vat . As said I’ve spent another 3k two years ago because of the damage caused by the body shop removing the windows . They scratched the metal cutting them out , but did not treat these areas . Therefore 5 years later the body had rusted from the inside out .