Thread: Air filter box explanation

Air filter box explanation

Hi sorry if this sounds a really stupid question. Iíve not long had my Corrado VR6 and itís been a good few years since I owned my previous one so Iím struggling to remember. Anyway the previous owner of this one has drilled a number of holes in the air filter box. Which ok that was his preference but itís not my sort of thing I find it too noisy at low revs and holes were on the engine side as well. Iíve looked into a new one but they are selling for stupid money so I decided to fill the holes in myself. Fiddly job but it works and thatís done. My question is the air box just floats around in the engine bay loose. And butts up to a hole behind the offside light cluster I donít remember my old VR being like this i.e loose but I may be forgetting. Iíve noticed the small insert that slides out from the front of the air filter box. I removed the plastic behind the light cluster to see if the insert slides through the hole to secure the unit but it doesnít fit through. Should there be a gasket at the front of this insert and that sticks to it? Canít see any diagrams on my service manual to show me and itís becoming frustrating any advice appreciated. Thankyou.
    Last edited by Westr; 6 Days Ago at 12:28 PM.

There is a gasket I think, but not really needed.

The airbox should be held in place by 2-4 (can't remember exactly how many) rubber loops that hook onto the casing and the engine bay area behind the headlight - you should be able to see these if you have a hunt for them. This allows the airbox to "float" a bit while being damped and also held securely in place.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Ah brilliant yes now I remember that makes sense, thanks very much I shall have a hunt online and see if i can source them.

Quote Originally Posted by Westr View Post
    Ah brilliant yes now I remember that makes sense, thanks very much I shall have a hunt online and see if i can source them.
    I've seen people use cable ties successfully, but that won't give the slight movement that's needed.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Yes could be useful temporarily but I shall try and find the right parts. Thanks

Need some rubbers like these to go on the dowels/pegs on the bottom of the box too.
    https://www.vwheritage.com/171121276...asher-vw-spare
    4th one surely the last

I’ve just bought some of the rubber hoops that hold the air box down, can’t remember where from though sorry. Sure they where from eBay.

You need 2 or 3 of these 1H0129833

Ok thanks. Weíre they just titled rubber hoops for VW Corrado? I want to try and search online.

Ok thanks very much