Thread: Corrado 1.8 16v timing belt

Corrado 1.8 16v timing belt

Last month I had my t/belt water pump and power steering pump all replaced at my local garage. My problem is I think the belt is too tight I took the car back and was told it was a noisy new power steering pump. Is it possible to release tension from removing top cover, or is it a complete top and bottom cover off with all pulleys removed. I have driven 150 miles since the change

There's an annoying whine that gives me the fear that damage is being done.

Enthusiast
    The 16v has a simple mechanical tensioner that is easy to adjust, but you will need to take the bottom cover off as it sits (iirc) approximately where the two covers meet. Slacken bolt, release a little tension and re torque.

Have you taken the top cover off and tried to rotate the belt 90 degrees as far down on the long run as you can reach? Should be reasonably obvious if it is too tight.

If there's a whine that wasn't there before they did the work, then drop it back and tell them to fix it. Incredibly easy to narrow down what is causing it as they can simply remove the aux belt to see if the noise stops.

I went out in the last few hours took the top cover off and turn the belt with two fingers on the longest run, and I can turn it to nearly 90 degrees without too much effort. Maybe I'm being a worry wart after all.

Sound about right, the 90 degree twist test was always my base setting when I did cam belt.

Just check the bottom cover isn't binding against the pulley, that used to happen a lot. Also to test if it's power steering just take the belt off and see if it still makes the noise, you can easily get that too tight or too slack with that toothed adjuster attached to alternator.

Red 16v gone and long forgotten
    Red VR32.. Always a work in progress