Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: R32 BACK AT LAST!

Re: R32 BACK AT LAST!

Not yet i will find out hopefully at the end of the week! will keep you posted

slowly but surely hey, at least your moving forward with it
    1995 MOONLIGHT BLUE VR6 TURBO

Enthusiast

That really does look the mutts nuts...

Did you get SWICT to do the complete job end to end? Did they source the components etc as well?

How much was it? May have to go this route...
    VW VR6 Corrado - Awesome noise!

The flat spot was a faulty air flow meter, however there is still a slight dip in power in 2nd so when i get it back i can explain a bit more.

Rob (Hersistes), is that the same with yours?

Its going on a rolling road / dyno next week so i will get an idea of bhp figures at that time.

I had the suspension, brakes, discs pads etc fitted elsewhere and the exhaust was a custom one from Infinity.

I also sourced the engine, got the wheels done and bought the tyres so all swict did was to take out the old and put in the new and do the rather tricky job of the wiring!!

Cost wise if i had my time again i would definately have more of a go doing it myself rather than just chucking money at it.

I would also think twice about the r32; i have a mk5 engine and they seem to be really tricky to get right.

When you put that much power into an old car the idea seems a good one, however in practice unless you get the set up spot on you have way too much power going through the wheels.

Note to self :- better tyres, better brakes, short shift gear box, 4wd.

without that lot i dont think you are doing the engine & setup justice, but hey thats just my opinion.

I am commited to this now so am just gonna have to keep on trying until i get the setup right. getting it on the rollers will give me an idea of where i am now with it.

Oh and by the way; i dont know if this strut brace will fit under the bonnet yet what with the size of the engine!

will keep you all posted

rgds James

Hmm that's interesting, mine didn't throw any errors for the MAF so don't think it's faulty. We noticed mine went flat when my inlet manifold switched which has led us to believe it could be something to do with that. We couldn't see any issues with the barrel. It's a weird one. I'm going back to Stealth soon to test with a new manifold to see if that cures the problem.

I have to say I am in the same mind set as you. I didn't spend as much as I did all the engine work etc myself, all I got done for me was the wiring but mine's also the MK5 and has had problems etc. That's not bothering me as problems can be sorted easily enough. My issues are with it not being suited for the car like you say, I think it needs the full setup to be appreciated. It's not very refined at all, which I think is down to the throttle response and the fact it's only using a single mass flywheel so it's jerky coming on and off part throttle through town. The R32 with the correct gearbox etc has the dual mass flywheel which I think takes that all away and gives it much smoother delivery. When going through the gears on an open smooth road it's spot on, nice and quick (could be quicker for me personally ) and good delivery.
    Blackberry R32 278bhp - Gone but not forgotten

Conmpletely agree, town is hard work but on the open road its fantastic

I am having the throttle response 'de sensitised' again so hopefully that will help!

Quote Originally Posted by jboyslick
    Conmpletely agree, town is hard work but on the open road its fantastic

I am having the throttle response 'de sensitised' again so hopefully that will help!
    Yeah 'Hard Work' is how I have been describing it for town driving. I am even tempted to downgrade my engine mounts as I have solid ones now and I don't think they're helping with the jerky on-off throttle and are certainly the cause of the vibrations when coming off idle!
    Blackberry R32 278bhp - Gone but not forgotten

Enthusiast

What the hell, do you guys do R32 swaps for fun over there? There is one R32 corrado in north america that is known of.
    Spending money on my car every chance I Get
    My gallery------> http://www.hostdub.com/ToffeeRado
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ ... DOSIG2.jpg

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ToffeeRado
    What the hell, do you guys do R32 swaps for fun over there? There is one R32 corrado in north america that is known of.
    your right there my friend i think soon there will be more r32 corrados in the uk than 12v vr6's

If possible, you need to remap the throttle to be a 1:1 linear opening.

I think the aggressive throttle mapping works best with DSG as it marries up with the instantaneous gearchanges perfectly. Neil's MK5 (Pat McCrotch) has a Revo map and it drives absolutely c0ck on, but as you mentioned Rob, it's part of the whole MK5 Golf package! I always said if you take an engine out of it's natural environment and stick it in something else, it's never the same

Rob, your jerking when taking up drive is to do with your uprated mounts. The DM flywheel does the same job as a solid flywheel and sprung friction plate, but slightly 'sloppier'. DM clutches have solid friction discs and the sprung flywheel soaks up drivetrain shock instead.....plus they're a lot heavier than a 12V wheel, so you'll never get the same shifting refinement when installed in a Corrado with an 02A box! DM flywheels are prone to failure and expensive, so you're better off without it.

Try using a stock rear mount and MK2 TDI gearbox mount, that will take the edge off the jerking, so to speak

As for the MAF, they don't always shown on the fault codes. Unless you know exactly what gramms/sec they're SUPPOSED to flow and set rpm points, there's no way of telling if it's good or bad. Vince knows that info though and no doubt would have mentioned it.
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32