Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The definitive "what exhaust?" discussion thread!

great thread

car: 92 g60.

exhaust: standard except for motek cat bypass.

opinion: i fitted the cat bypass and was well impressed,little more go low down the rev range,and the sound is superb,burbles and pops a little backing off throttle.

plenty loud enough for me too.

car: mk1 16v on 45 webbers.

exhaust: supersprint 4 branch leading into full magnex system.

opinion: all superb,the sound was quiet yet meaningfull enough,and the build quality of both was superb.

neil.

CF Nutter
    This should have been a poll to illustrate the findings or this definitive thread!

Chris
    CF #292
    Corrado VR6nos Vortech-charged. Fast not Furious
    | Satin Silver VR6 | RS bumper | Sat-Nav | Apex | Momo Race | 165mph max out | S3 288mm brakes cross drilled | Rear grooved & drilled discs | 17" Fox VI | Short-Shift | Mongoose with DTM's | VF mount | Nos | VF Stage I S/C | FMIC | CC Calc |

Don't think it should. After all, the exhaust issue has always been and will always be a matter of personal preference.

Those that believe the light-weight alloy pipes will improve performance will always prefer those. Those that want trick tail pipes will obviously go nowhere near the OEM pipe. Those that want Chavvy-Nova sounds will have other priorities. And so on ..

A poll would just show what type of exhaust MOST people who replied had. Unless there were 3938 votes (*) it wouldn't even come close to being representative of the forum's opinion anyway.

This thread was created for people to give them opinions on the massive number of different exhausts out there, so that those looking to choose can make their own minds up.

And so we don't have to go through the same routine once every week or two..

(** - There are currently 3938 members.)
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

CF Nutter
    drivle
    I think i depends upon how you ask the question, but that's fine.
    I'd vote for a Supersprint as a top zorst though i have a Mongoose!
    Mine sounds fine, a bit grunt without the boom but it clatters off theings under the car.

Chris
    CF #292
    | Satin Silver VR6 | RS bumper | Sat-Nav | Apex | Momo Race | 165mph max out | S3 288mm brakes cross drilled | Rear grooved & drilled discs | 17" Fox VI | Short-Shift | Mongoose with DTM's | VF mount | Nos | VF Stage I S/C | FMIC | CC Calc |

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mat
    Those that believe the light-weight alloy pipes will improve performance will always prefer those.
    Not aluminium alloy I hope?

An exhaust will only improve performance if there is a major restriction along the gas path, such as the deliberately restricted front pipes on Subaru Imprezas for example....otherwise it's all Jedi mind tricks.

I saw with my own eyes a set of Scoob decat front pipes liberate 40bhp during a before/after dyno run on his Impy WRX.... but they were stupidly expensive Haywire & Scott pipes but it goes to show what can be done with a bit pipe trickery....

A VR6 would find 1 or 2hp from a zorst....if that. Vince rollered a VR with a Milltek and there was no gain at all. It's all marketing Horsesh1t.
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

yeah,fair point.

i think im right in saying that vw systems tend to flow pretty well anyway...?

neil.

I never said *I* believed they improved performance... Some people do though...
    Many people *have* claimed that the reduced weight is good, which it no doubt is, but given how heavy a Corrado is anyway I don't see the point myself..
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhaywire
    ....otherwise it's all Jedi mind tricks.
    [email protected]@kin' love the analogy kevhaywire Spot on! Take a bow!

CF Nutter
    I have to say that when i swapped my engine over to my current car which had a full std system as opposed to the cat pass & Mongoose system it used in the previous car the difference was amazing!

I raced my VR against one of the skylines and it out accellerated it at any speed, Chrishill ws in the car to verify!

The std zorst set up and the same skyline racing against me with the same driver etc and he was sitting beside me gesturing me to go for it but i was to the floor, he wasn't!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huge difference, i think what i'm saying here is that the std zorst is good for a std VR but that's it, if you are producing a higher CFM of exhaust gasses then you need zorst that can handle that greater CFM adequately IMO

Chris
    CF #292

Supersprint Cat back system with Stainless steel oval OE style back box. Superb quality , fit, sound and performance.