Page 1 of 116 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Suspension Discussion Thread

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆

The Suspension Discussion Thread

Quite surprised to find that there isn't a definitive thread on suspension discussion like there is with tyres -opinions on suspension seem to crop up on a daily basis and would it not be worth having a single thread of opinions?

Mods, feel free to delete/lock this if there's already a definitive thread that isn't stickied...

Anyhoo, here's my experiences/opinions:

On my VR - Koni TA/H&R springs, 17" wheels, 40-profile tyres
    Opinion - not a lot of body roll, very comfortable on ordinary everyday driving, responsive without being harsh, bit of "wince factor" on big potholes

On Laura's valver - Koni coilovers, Eibach ARBs, 16" wheels, stretched 40-profile tyres
    Opinion - no body roll, bit harsh for daily driving, very responsive, lots of wince factor on big potholes

On NickRStorm's VR - Standard suspension, 16" wheels, 45-profile tyres (at a guess)
    Opinion - comfortable, very wallowy, lots of body roll
    ::'96 A4 TDi Avant::'09 Giant Trance X4::'92 Marin Eldridge Grade::'97 16.1hh Thoroughbred::

CF Nutter
    Good Idea,

I've got Koni TA/H&R springs as well on 15's. Lowered 30-40mm.

I think they are a great setup, really responsive when needed, have a much better overall feel of the road. Can be a little crashy over bad bumps. I go over speed humps daily and have no problem with them at all, car always feels nice and solid when I go over the humps. I've found since getting this kit fitted that I can go twice as fast round roundabouts!

Only complaint is i'd like to be another 10-20mm lower..

EDIT: Oooh and could you capitalise the S, D & T in the thread title please? Looks better IMO
    My Blog ::
    00 Audi S3 Ebony Black

CF-oholic!
    Stuck.

Although, you should re-name it 'The Koni TA and H&R thread'

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆

actually, i'll be getting rid of mine as the car's too practical (ie. not low enough) and am interested to know what coilovers will give me the same ride quality - whether the FK Konigsports will be as good, or if i'm going to have to save for H&R or KW coilies...

though I think this will be a good thread of people list all the different suspensions they've experienced in a C, irrespective of whether it was their car or not, as it gives people a frame of reference - eg. i think that Konis/H&R are comfortable enough for daily driving and are less wallowy than standard, but some people might not think that the standard setup is that soft or wallowy, and so wouldn't like the uprated setup.
    ::'96 A4 TDi Avant::'09 Giant Trance X4::'92 Marin Eldridge Grade::'97 16.1hh Thoroughbred::

CF Nutter
    I was on standard and thought it was pretty good unitl I got my above setup. A lot less bouncy now, there used to be quite a bit of roll around the tight corners.
    My Blog ::
    00 Audi S3 Ebony Black

CF-oholic!
    I can say unreservedly that G-Max shocks and springs were bloody awfull on my last g60, I put them on as a quick and cheap fix, but regretted it.

I think the next set up i'll buy will be FK's

Enthusiast
    FK highsports were a budget option for me as my standard shocks were fubar.
    However I am really happy with the ride even running 17s. Can recommend them for those with rapidly emptying corrado funds "CC" or GF
    Maintained by http://www.rk-engineering.co.uk
    Code: Select all
    [donate:2gh52fyn][/donate:2gh52fyn]

I will watch with interest - my personal debate is whether or not to go for FK highsports or pay the extra 70 quid for konigsports? The silverline option just compounds the matter further.....
    More a Final Edition
    1995 VR6 Storm

I've bought 2nd hand H&R coilies for mine, but they're still being refurbed. Will post up here when they're on.

From general experience though i've heard

Konis/H&R's is a good combo
    or with coilovers buy FK Konigsports on a budget, and KW's or H&R's if you can! Anything less than Konigs will feel terrible.

CF-oholic!
    (on the old valver) bilstien 'sport' kit from ECP - comprises bilstien shocks and ventura springs. AVOID! cheap but nasty, -40mm springs with standard length shocks made for a bloody bouncy ride, better than 15 year old stock items, but not by much.

(on the old VR) Koni non-adjustables with koni 60mm springs. lovely, bit harsh over big bumps but nothing to worry about, great cornering, solid feel, good for everyday driving too.
    Roses are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF
    No longer using public transport like a hippy