Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Suspension Discussion Thread

Given that this is a suspension information thread, here's information about the OE suspension on the Corrado range (what I can remember, anyway).

OE manufacturer for shocks was Boge (a.k.a. SACHS). Early cars all came with simple oil filled shocks, later cars (maybe) and VRs (definitely) came with gas-over-oil shocks.
    GSF sell the gas-over-oil ones for good prices (though still 3x the factory cost!) and they're branded either Boge Turbogas or SACHS Advantage. You can tell the gas ones because they spring back of their own accord. Gas ones can be happily fitted to any car without issues.

Don't know too much about the VW springs, but I know there's lots of different ones, and they're distinguished by coloured dots at the base of the spring coils.
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

gradeA - you've not said what the drops are

Maybe H&R only do one drop height, I wouldn't know. You say that Lauras car on 16" rims gives the harsher ride over the 17"'s, is this because she is on lower springs?

I think that would be the best compromise, a hard spring with a 16" wheel that has enough tyre wall to soak up those pot-holes; for the road that is.

My own 2-penny: Ive got some Bilstein shocks that do a lovely job. Put the standard spings on and don't like them; lots of roll. The previous cheapo springs -40 gave a solid ride combined with the 17"/40prof' , super stable.
    Im sure the 40 drop springs gave a bigger drop to the front (ie maybe only 35 at the back), and this made the car feel much more poised - now on standard, I feel like im looking up at the sky.

Enthusiast
    . You say that Lauras car on 16" rims gives the harsher ride over the 17"'s, is this because she is on lower springs?
    mine is set up with an approx 60-70mm drop at the front on Koni Coilovers and approx 50-55mm at the back on Koni adjustable shocks and springs, I also run 9x16's all round which admittedly doesnt help with the ride quality, although I do feel the handling at speed has improved. I do however want to even the suspension out to 70mm approx all round.

Apparently the Koni front coilovers/rear shocks and springs was a proper suspension kit sold by Koni a while back - I originally thought it was just mismatched....

The Eibach ARB's are fantastic and add so much more to the handling of the car... I dont think I could own a Corrado without them now....
    Currently - Jeep Cherokee 4ltr - all the toys and enough torque to tow a small country...

...and red 16v Rado no 3... yes, my name is Laura and I am a Corrado-aholic....

CF-oholic!
    do you reckon stretched tyres makes a difference to ride quality? i suppose it could go either way really?
    does it feel any different when the tyres are stretched?
    TRAITOR!

Alfa Romeo 156 GTA 3.2 V6 - 260 bhp - Ragazzon exhaust and carbon intake - temporarily dead!

Alfa Romeo 155 2.0TS Widebody Sportpack - Loud and Black

Quote Originally Posted by scarlett
    The Eibach ARB's are fantastic and add so much more to the handling of the car... I dont think I could own a Corrado without them now....
    I'll second that!
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

CF Nutter
    hi all I had gmax springs and shocks on my golf 8v and i actually thought that handled very well that was dropped 40mm on 17's with a 40mm tyre profile! the ride was very hard thou!

on the G60 i have KONI coilovers which i think still havent been set up right but when i have got the rear shelves of to ajust the dampening etc ill let you all know! but they do react very well to differing road conditions and the dampening is very effective
    Old Rides - 1989: White mk2 GTI 8v - 1986 Blue 1300 Polo - 1991 White G60 - 1994 Magic Black MK3 VR6 -
    1992 AQUA G60 - 1999 MK4 1.9TDI - 2000 Clio 16v - 1990 Citroen AX GT - 1997 E36 Coupe - 2000 E46 330d Touring -
    2001 - Lupo Open Air 1.0L. Current Motor: 1996 MK3 VR6 Highline Cheers Andy ;-)

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by double-6s
    do you reckon stretched tyres makes a difference to ride quality? i suppose it could go either way really?
    does it feel any different when the tyres are stretched?
    from driving a few other rados with and without drops and on various wheel sizes I'd say yes, a low-profile, stretched tyre does feel harsh. However, at speed, I think the car feels more stable on the 9's... (my car was on std 15's when I got it so I do have a point of reference...) but its all personal preference at the end of the day... I am really happy with my set up and would recommend it to anyone looking for a drop of more than 40mm....

Kev - to be honest when I bought the car the ARB's didnt really mean anything to me but affter driving with them, and driving a rado without, it would be one of the first mods I'd do to any other Rado I own....
    Currently - Jeep Cherokee 4ltr - all the toys and enough torque to tow a small country...

...and red 16v Rado no 3... yes, my name is Laura and I am a Corrado-aholic....

CF-oholic!
    must feel well stable - 9 is super wide. quality
    TRAITOR!

Alfa Romeo 156 GTA 3.2 V6 - 260 bhp - Ragazzon exhaust and carbon intake - temporarily dead!

Alfa Romeo 155 2.0TS Widebody Sportpack - Loud and Black

Regular
    I have H&R coilovers and i love them! They have lowered my car a lot and the ride is still excellent!!
    17" OZ futuras, H&R coilovers, badgless grill, M3 rear lights and a VR engine that keeps me looking :-)

CF Nutter
    i run 9's only on the rear thou are you 9's upfront too scarlett?

also sorry what does ARB stand for?
    Old Rides - 1989: White mk2 GTI 8v - 1986 Blue 1300 Polo - 1991 White G60 - 1994 Magic Black MK3 VR6 -
    1992 AQUA G60 - 1999 MK4 1.9TDI - 2000 Clio 16v - 1990 Citroen AX GT - 1997 E36 Coupe - 2000 E46 330d Touring -
    2001 - Lupo Open Air 1.0L. Current Motor: 1996 MK3 VR6 Highline Cheers Andy ;-)