Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: headlamp reflector removal???

Enthusiast

headlamp reflector removal???

Any tips on how I remove the headlamp reflector from the headlamp?

CF Nutter
    1. Take the lens off.
    2. look down the sides of the reflector around where the adjusters attachand you will see the clips that hold it on.
    3. Pop the clips...
    Moonlight Blue VR6 209.4bhp - Gone
    Black 1.8 16v 154.8bhp - Gone
    Black VR6 - Gone
    Inca Blue G60 - Gone
    Moonlight Blue G60 project - Gone
    Hyper Blue Mini Cooper S Works 233.5bhp
    Blue MGF
    Carbonio Black Alfa Romeo Brera S
    Speed Triple

Enthusiast
    nice one, cheers m8 sorted it now

Bringing this back alive.

Sick of the candles have changed to Osram laser halogens and also have uprated loom, problem is the reflectors have lost there shine.

Will get a price off these guys tomorrow. In my home city.

http://www.dual-metallising.co.uk/gallery-reflectors/

Yes, loom and bulbs will buy you lots of lumens but it's still going to look bad (and fail MOTs) if the reflectors are useless.

I used Dual Metallising last year, they provide a great service with really amazing results. The issue you will have however is that the adjuster screw mechanism will collapse due to the crappy non-heat-stable plastics if you're not ultra-ultra- careful when removing the reflector from its retaining ball-and-socket mount points behind the reflector.

I trashed both of mine and wound up fabricating something out of some similar (but smaller) parts off a Scirocco headlamp (still available for a couple of quid), and some large penny washers and self-locking nuts. It's a pain to adjust now ..
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mat View Post
    Yes, loom and bulbs will buy you lots of lumens but it's still going to look bad (and fail MOTs) if the reflectors are useless.

I used Dual Metallising last year, they provide a great service with really amazing results. The issue you will have however is that the adjuster screw mechanism will collapse due to the crappy non-heat-stable plastics if you're not ultra-ultra- careful when removing the reflector from its retaining ball-and-socket mount points behind the reflector.

I trashed both of mine and wound up fabricating something out of some similar (but smaller) parts off a Scirocco headlamp (still available for a couple of quid), and some large penny washers and self-locking nuts. It's a pain to adjust now ..
    It's funny you mention this - I've dismantled my headlamps - reflector fine on one side, dull on the other, so need it remetallised. Re: the adjuster, I was thinking it was me being ham fisted when the plastics started to snap, but @easypops advised me otherwise. Anyway - I'm on half a mind seeing if I can get one 3D printed. Got a friend who is good with CAD and could model it and see how it turns out on a printer...
    1988 T25 1.7d
    1993 Corrado VR6
    2004 Mini Cooper

I just looked at the adjuster and a bit fell off the handle ha. My adjusters will no longer adjust as to fragile but are intact enough to to secure the reflector to the headlight. Just wish you could buy them new to finish off the refurbishment ! You don't actually have to touch the adjuster to remove the reflector, just unlip the internal whaite clips. Strangely enough my passenger side was dull as dishwater but drivers not to bad although showing some wear.

Dropped them in this morning and will collect in a few days. £125.00 + Vat But I always take a walking stick with me when getting a price face to face - joke !

I imagine easypops has 10 sets of the adjusters under his pillow
    Last edited by Keyo; 1 Week Ago at 4:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mat View Post

Good to hear a good reference - he mentioned the problem with the factory ones is they have no lacquer but thankfully Dual put an additional lacquer on them so should last a long time.

Is it the knurled knob of the adjuster that breaks, or the white plastic clamp thing that sits on the end of the ball joint/screw?

I have a nice set of electric adjusters stashed away, and they have a manual dial for adjustment as a backup.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

The handle and the internal sleeve are fragile it is a very poor quality plastic. The white bits on the end that house the reflector are better quality and were still very strong.

Looks different then the Corrado one but seen these and says fits.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGE...97.m4902.l9144

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGO...cAAOSwbtVZS8FN
    Last edited by Keyo; 1 Week Ago at 4:06 PM.