Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: gear linkage adjustment

Cheer's for that, I'll put this on my to do list.

Regular

Re: gear linkage adjustment

mines ok, just sometimes it feals abit stiff going into first, like if im sitting at the lights go to put it in first to pull of and ill have to give it more force then i usally do to get it in, but othertimes its not a problem,

simon
    1992 - Corrad- 1800 16v KR engine,
    lowerd, borbet A's and a few subtle mods...... nothing special but looks clean and does the job

Well i've been reading and reading...

Left and right travel is fine, it's putting it into 2nd and 3rd that seems stiff. Is this something that i need to adjust at the gearbox end (from reading the above article) or am I looking at a completely different problem?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by cheesewire
    4) Now....this is the critical part.....you need to make sure the gear stick travel is the same in both directions (left and right) and then retighten the nut.
    In other words, the 'day light' gap between the moving parts should be equal at the limit of the stick's travel - on both sides. It's difficult to explain and I can't take pics (yet) as my car is at Stealth.
    You should see what I mean when you start playing with it.
    Any pics of this , Kev? My 1st, 2nd and reverse are a little sticky occasionally- I'm pretty sure they just need a slight 'tweek' to smooth them out.
    'ave it!

Corrado Club of Great Britain

Gone, but not forgotten: Mystic Blue VR6 Storm
    Now: Avus Silver Audi S3 :: 1.8 20v Turbo :: BAM :: Recaro Leathers :: Bose :: Badger 5 v2 TIP :: Forge 007p :: 18" BBS RS2

Gallery

"Look Sir, Dubs,"

Regular

My gear box is really vague (although all gears can be found correctly - theres just a lot of play)

The linkage on top of the gear box is all very rusty and all the joins have a lot of play, is there a kit you can buy to replace the worn washers & bolts etc? or is it a case of trying to get all the little bits seperately? if so any ideas what the part numbers may be?
    1990 full VR6 conversion, Miltek exhaust, cat by-pass and 6-2-1 Manifold. BMC CDA, FK Konigsports, 312mm brakes & braided lines, lupo wipers...... and a BEAST of an overdraft!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by adamukcorrado
    My gear box is really vague (although all gears can be found correctly - theres just a lot of play) The linkage on top of the gear box is all very rusty and all the joins have a lot of play,
    Hi
    Can you put up a picture of the linkages on top of the gearbox.
    1.8 16v

Regular

will do tomorrow if it ever stops raining!
    1990 full VR6 conversion, Miltek exhaust, cat by-pass and 6-2-1 Manifold. BMC CDA, FK Konigsports, 312mm brakes & braided lines, lupo wipers...... and a BEAST of an overdraft!!!!

Regular

i have the same problem with lots of play (front & back), i stripped mine down and there is a plastic/rubber bush that fits in the end of the cable that attaches to the gear stick shaft, mine has fell to bits, vw can not replace this on its own but you have to replace the cable £90 which includes the new bushes
    jay

CF Nutter

i might have a used bush if you want to cover posty....i replaced mine with a nylon one

Regular

Yeah i'll take your spare bush, certainly worth a try, PM me your details and i'll paypal you the money.