Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: gear linkage adjustment

Re: gear linkage adjustment

Some pics of what actually needs to be adjusted would be much appreciated- just can't get my head around it really, and absolutely don't want to balls it up
    'ave it!

Corrado Club of Great Britain

Gone, but not forgotten: Mystic Blue VR6 Storm
    Now: Avus Silver Audi S3 :: 1.8 20v Turbo :: BAM :: Recaro Leathers :: Bose :: Badger 5 v2 TIP :: Forge 007p :: 18" BBS RS2

Gallery

"Look Sir, Dubs,"

CF Nutter

davids post on page one with the pics explains it ...you wont louse it up its pretty easy tbh

CF Nutter

right a couple of members asked about my nylon bush for the cable end

i had it made by a guy on some other forum to my drawings...it needed a slight fettle with a dremel to make it fit and improved the feel no end

who else is intrested ?

ive asked for a price ..not sure if he will deal with individuals or i can be the middle man

CF Nutter

okay they guy that made the cable end has agreed to make some more...you can deal with him direct

ive started a thread here with contact info and some fitting tips from david

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=66959

Regular

I have sorted my gear box by greasing the linkages on the top of the box (should of thought of doing that sooner really!) and tightening the bolt at the end of the cable- it had come loose - hence the vague feeling previously,

I have also fitted a nylon bush made by a chap on here, which has greatly improved the whole feel of the box.

All really cheap / free fixes!
    1990 full VR6 conversion, Miltek exhaust, cat by-pass and 6-2-1 Manifold. BMC CDA, FK Konigsports, 312mm brakes & braided lines, lupo wipers...... and a BEAST of an overdraft!!!!

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by RamG60
    At present I have no reverse and acidently parked in a space today to grab something from the shop and had to get help from locals to push me back!
    Hi
    Next time open the bonnet, push the tower down/up(cannot remember), then slide the lever to get into reverse, jump into the car, press the clutch down, start the car and away you go.
    1.8 16v

hmmm

Regular

Now....this is the critical part.....you need to make sure the gear stick travel is the same in both directions (left and right) and then retighten the nut.
    In other words, the 'day light' gap between the moving parts should be equal at the limit of the stick's travel - on both sides. It's difficult to explain and I can't take pics (yet) as my car is at Stealth.
    You should see what I mean when you start playing with it.

On David's picture above, parts 7, 8, 13 and 17 are the fellas I'm on about.

5) When you're happy the left and right planes are equal in travel, retighten the 13mm nut on the gearbox.

Job done. Take out and road test.
    Just what I was looking for..My 5th gear can be a little hard to engage, not all the time but hopefully this little adjustment will sort it..Cheers

Regular

ok what i want to know is why they changed the shift mechanism on the later cars and added a host of other parts. They put the cables ontop of each other the shift relays and throw lever were changed and a carrier added. My g60 is nice and smooth and shifts better without the weight on. All i want to do is shorten the throw now.

Hey,

Does this look wrong to anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0-IxA1DwyM

The gearstick has a lot of side to side and a bit of front-back movement when in gears. I guess this is down to an actual worn mechanism. Does anyone know of any way to tighten this up/fix it or does it require a complete new mech to sort out?

Andy
    Poll

C63 AMG Coupé +
    Corrado VR6 Turbo

GONE: Porsche Cayman S / E46 M3

Aqua-Blue Pearl | Stealth Turbo | Custom Exhaust | 17" BBS RCs| Wavetrac LSD |Racelogic TC | 262s | ARPs | Cream Leather | Weitec Hicon GTs + Rear Arb | 312 Brembos + Mk4 rears | Aero Wipers | DDI | Momo | Mocal | S3 Shifter |Fixed Column...