Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: gear linkage adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bacon View Post
    OK, here's the deal people.... and I'm going to stick it.

Backward and forward travel

This is adjusted on the gearbox selector. There are two cables. An upper and a lower. The lower one is fixed and the upper one is adjustable. 13mm spanner.

Left and right travel

This is adjusted at the gearstick end under the gaiter.

The object of the adjustment is to get the left, right, forward and backward planes all equal in travel.

A common issue is when the lever has more travel to the left, which makes engaging 5th difficult, or has more travel to the right, making 1st and reverse difficult to engage. Make sense?

9 times out of 10, the backward and forward planes are OK, but to check, just make sure you can select all the gears to start with. If you can, it's the left / right planes that need adjusting.

So....

1) Pop the shift into neutral and slacken the aforementioned 13mm nut on the top cable on the gearbox.

2) Lift up the gaiter and look at the sprung mechanism in front of the OBD port. Flick the stick left to right to see it in action. It has a 13mm nut on it and stiff spring, it's pretty easy to spot tbh.

3) Hold the stick firmly and slacken the nut.

4) Now....this is the critical part.....you need to make sure the gear stick travel is the same in both directions (left and right) and then retighten the nut.
    In other words, the 'day light' gap between the moving parts should be equal at the limit of the stick's travel - on both sides. It's difficult to explain and I can't take pics (yet) as my car is at Stealth.
    You should see what I mean when you start playing with it.

On David's picture above, parts 7, 8, 13 and 17 are the fellas I'm on about.

5) When you're happy the left and right planes are equal in travel, retighten the 13mm nut on the gearbox.

Job done. Take out and road test.

If it's still bad, check the shift lever isn't missing it's hinge circlip.
    Awesome post!!! Thank you kev.
    95 Mystic Blue Storm - It's bound to cause disappointment.

Enthusiast
    Done this yesterday. 1st and reverse were reluctant to work. It took a bit of adjustment inside the car and at the gearbox end, but now all the gears are perfect. Thank you.

Fraser
    Classic Green Storm Turbocharged

I will be trying this!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bacon View Post
    OK, here's the deal people.... and I'm going to stick it.

Backward and forward travel

This is adjusted on the gearbox selector. There are two cables. An upper and a lower. The lower one is fixed and the upper one is adjustable. 13mm spanner.

Left and right travel

This is adjusted at the gearstick end under the gaiter.

The object of the adjustment is to get the left, right, forward and backward planes all equal in travel.

A common issue is when the lever has more travel to the left, which makes engaging 5th difficult, or has more travel to the right, making 1st and reverse difficult to engage. Make sense?

9 times out of 10, the backward and forward planes are OK, but to check, just make sure you can select all the gears to start with. If you can, it's the left / right planes that need adjusting.

So....

1) Pop the shift into neutral and slacken the aforementioned 13mm nut on the top cable on the gearbox.

2) Lift up the gaiter and look at the sprung mechanism in front of the OBD port. Flick the stick left to right to see it in action. It has a 13mm nut on it and stiff spring, it's pretty easy to spot tbh.

3) Hold the stick firmly and slacken the nut.

4) Now....this is the critical part.....you need to make sure the gear stick travel is the same in both directions (left and right) and then retighten the nut.
    In other words, the 'day light' gap between the moving parts should be equal at the limit of the stick's travel - on both sides. It's difficult to explain and I can't take pics (yet) as my car is at Stealth.
    You should see what I mean when you start playing with it.

On David's picture above, parts 7, 8, 13 and 17 are the fellas I'm on about.

5) When you're happy the left and right planes are equal in travel, retighten the 13mm nut on the gearbox.

Job done. Take out and road test.

If it's still bad, check the shift lever isn't missing it's hinge circlip.

great guide, mines an ass to find 1st and reverse so will be trying this tomorrow if it stops raining

Quote Originally Posted by slider View Post
    great guide, mines an ass to find 1st and reverse so will be trying this tomorrow if it stops raining
    Change the oil in the gearbox as well... it may well of been in there 20 years.
    Corrado VR6 - Aqua Blue LC5U - 96 'N' Plate
    Black Leather - Heated Seats - Air Con
    Totally Standard and intend to keep it that way !

Hibernation for Winter ! SORN

Quote Originally Posted by delfinis38 View Post
    Change the oil in the gearbox as well... it may well of been in there 20 years.
    highly likely, might chuck some moly slip in as well

another happy customer here

cheers guys,

only issue now is it crunches going into 5th if i go too far to the right

weird this car

CF Nutter
    hi been reading this do I still need to undo the bolt on the gearbox to adjust the side to side on gear lever.cheers
    1990 1.8 16v white