Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mondys Nugget Yellow G60 - 1.9 Rebuild

Regular

Mondys Nugget Yellow G60 - 1.9 Rebuild

Hi,

I've been a member on here for a while now and owned a couple of G60's so thought it was about time I put a few pictures up.

Here's a couple of pictures I took when I first bought it:

Unfortunately a problem with my car meant the pistons melted This was even more annoying as I'd only just replaced all the exhaust valves (200 miles ago) after the crankshaft pulley came loose!

Anyway there was a slight bit of damage to the bores so I've decided to get some oversized pistons to take it up to 1.9L.

I'm hopefully going to use this gallery so I've got a record of what I've done and provide a bit of motivation to myself as I go along!

Here's a few pictures as I took the engine out:

My brothers dogs inspecting the engine bay

Engine removed ready for stripdown

Block all stripped down ready for cleaning

Block steam cleaned

Now I've just got to get the engine bay cleaned up a little bit - maybe get it painted although I can't decide yet.

All the replacement parts are ordered from Bahnbrenner so all being well they should arrive by next weekend.

I'm hoping to get it all running ready for edition 38 but we'll see how realistic that is in a couple of weeks.

Anyway that's enough of my ramblings for now!

Re: Mondys Nugget Yellow G60 - 1.9 Rebuild

MMMMmmmmmm BBM Charger! Ain't Really a G60 anymore though
    Nugget Yellow Corrado 1.8T - A bit Crispy & Black around the Bonnet at mo

Blue Graphite Jetta 2.0 TDi Sport - The New Daily

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by rado-steve
    Ain't Really a G60 anymore though
    Yeah good point!I think the title is long enough already though

Regular

I've cleaned a bit of the passenger inner wing now. It looks loads better but unfortunately there's damage to the paint where the airbox has rubbed it.

Before:

After:

Regular

Well I've finally made a bit of progress at last!

Got a couple of bits sand blasted:

Unfortunately the sand blasting showed up a couple of repeairs that need doing to the radiator support and radiator fan cowling as they've rusted through in a couple of places. Once that's done they've got to go back to be powder coated - been quoted £45 for those 3 pieces (including the sand blasting!) so I've decided I'm going to get all the suspension parts done now!

I also received all of the engine bits I ordered - just waiting for a few suspension bushes now but at least I can finally get on with rebuilding the engine.

Looks like I'm going to have a busy weekend!

Regular

I didn't get time to get anything done to the engine over the weekend but I did manage to get the subframe off the car tonight.

I'll be taking it to the powder coaters on Friday (hopefully) to get it cleaned up and coated.

CF Nutter

keep up the good work
    92 G60.

'I'd like to live like a poor man with lots of money.'
    Picasso

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by dirtytorque
    keep up the good work

Cheers! I'm off work starting tomorrow for 2 weeks so there should hopefully be lots of progress to report soon - I'm aiming to get it running for the end of next week, run it in over a couple of days and then get the megasquirt properley mapped at the end of the week.

Good work!

You're running Megasquirt then? Which suirt did you go for MSI or II. Are you fitting a wideband to do a bit of auto-tuning?

You should see some good power with the brenner and 1.9 bottom end. Do you have a target bhp in mind?
    Stu aka Mr Theroux
    '02 Passat TDI Sport

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by mrbeige
    Good work!

You're running Megasquirt then? Which suirt did you go for MSI or II. Are you fitting a wideband to do a bit of auto-tuning?

You should see some good power with the brenner and 1.9 bottom end. Do you have a target bhp in mind?
    I'm running MS1 extra - I got it pre-built as I wasn't too confident on putting it together myself - I wish I had now as it doesn't look too bad and would have worked out a bit cheaper!

I'm using an LM-1 as the wideband but couldn't get the MS auto-tune to work properley on it so did all the tuning with megalogviewer which seemed to make really good job of it!

I was running it for a couple of months and had it tuned up relatively OK and then I put the Lysholm on it and backed the fuel off a bit around the cruise areas but think I went a little overboard as I reckon that's what killed the pistons! I also hadn't managed to get the timing map sorted which didn't help either

I ran the car at the last stealth RR day and it made around 240bhp with a glader and standard bottom end so I'm hoping that it should be somewhere between 250-260 once all these changes are done...