Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The definitive "What Air Filter?" discussion thread

Re: The definitive "What Air Filter?" discussion thread

Had a RAM Air, lasted 3 Miles, really didn't like the excessive induction noise, you hardly had to touch the loud pedal for a raw, not my scene. Got a BMC and its very complementary to the VR, not too excessive in my opinion but on full tilt.. oh yes! oh yeh and I think its the only induction kit that stealth reported any noticable improvement on the RR.
    My Storm HERE | 17" BBS RCs | Aero Wipers | BMC CDA | 19 Row Mocal | KWs | 312 Fronts | 263 cams | EVO Featured
    AM V12V | SQ5 | Caterham R460ish Superlight Race | Clio 197 Race | Series 1 Landy | Corrado VR6 VW Cup to be |

Enthusiast

Absolutely.. and to be fair, it makes sense!

VRs generate SO much heat in the engine bay that an open filter would naturally cause a problem.
    Stick that filter inside a carbon box which "causes a vortexing effect" (if you believe that bit) and you're onto a winner!

Very happy with my BMC also.
    Classic Green '94 VR6 | Weitecs || 16" Teledials || BMC || Red Rears || Samco || VDOs || Magnex || Carbon Bonnet |
    http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...0095_36441.jpg

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mariojoshi
    Absolutely.. and to be fair, it makes sense!

VRs generate SO much heat in the engine bay that an open filter would naturally cause a problem.
    Not enough for you to make a difference though.

I've got a Pipercross VR6 Induction thingie, nice grumble and sounds great at full-chat. Not too sure if it adds power, not that I've noticed anyway, but seems more responsive, might just be me?!

Try swapping back to the original setup to see the difference. When I did that with my K&N kits, the car defo felt a bit quicker/smoother/more purposeful with the standard setup. Just didn't sound as good, although the quiet car is a nice change for a few days
    'ave it!

Corrado Club of Great Britain

Gone, but not forgotten: Mystic Blue VR6 Storm
    Now: Avus Silver Audi S3 :: 1.8 20v Turbo :: BAM :: Recaro Leathers :: Bose :: Badger 5 v2 TIP :: Forge 007p :: 18" BBS RS2

Gallery

"Look Sir, Dubs,"

Enthusiast

Another vote for the BMC CDA here. Fitted mine about 6 months back & love it Not too good for the fuel economy though as you have to keep booting it to hear the addictive roar!

It's nice and sensible when croozin, but lets out a lovely roar once you get up to about 3.5k revs. Theres no going back for me now!

Best thing of all is that the missus hasn't even noticed I've changed it!
    Mystic Blue Storm....

FK Coilovers; BMC CDA; Aero Wipers; Alpine ICE; Momo Wheel; Clear Repeaters; Red Rears

weres the best place to buy the bmc air filter? and is it easy to fit?

Enthusiast

Stealth & yes.
    Mystic Blue Storm....

FK Coilovers; BMC CDA; Aero Wipers; Alpine ICE; Momo Wheel; Clear Repeaters; Red Rears

Quote Originally Posted by CazzaVR
    Try swapping back to the original setup to see the difference. When I did that with my K&N kits, the car defo felt a bit quicker/smoother/more purposeful with the standard setup. Just didn't sound as good, although the quiet car is a nice change for a few days

thats what i did, and stuck with the standard setup, i trust VW more than all these universal cone type filters that seems to be the same design for every car.

have heard alot about people losing power when mucking about with BMWs factory air induction
    Just like a golf................But better!!!

Standard filter in a drilled airbox works for me.
    Drilled on the cold side so not hot air entering.
    Best of both worlds - filtration of a proper paper filter and the noise to boot.
    93 Flash red VR6, Resurected from death, black BBS RC,312mm conversion,Vibratec,Air Con retrofit,Integra DC2 Black Recaro SR's,black headlining, Mk3 Golf Sunroof,H4 Bi-Zenon's,Mocal 19 row oil cooler.

i'm still not sure what to get, whether to stick with standard or not,

here's some comments i've received on the subject

"Cotton-gauze will ALWAYS perform well when new - they're often replacing a ****ty used paper filter and a new foam filter is more restrictive than a new cotton-gauze filter (up until approx 500-1,000 miles).

A filter should do two things - protect the engine and flow air. A cotton-gauze cannot do both for a long time due to it becoming clogged. With cotton-gauze the only place for dirt to be trapped is on the surface, with a foam filter dirt is trapped throughout the filter, hence it's greatly increased life before cleaning.
    A clogged filter is starving the engine of air and you might as well just stick with a paper filter for the amount of good it will be doing.

The best design for a fast road car involves getting air from an area of high pressure. The only true way to do this is to extend the air intake out beyond the front of the vehicle but a good alternative is to fit a Viper or CDA, better still, turn it all around and put the filter in an area of high pressure and have an airbox full of clean filtered air - which is what you get with Carbonio/VIS kits.

The downside of a Carbonio kit over a Pipercross VIS is that the filter they use (cotton-gauze) isn't suitable for areas of high pressure which are typically areas of increased dirt. K&N even supply pre-filters for their air filters in the US, yet other companies that use their products don't bother! That's engine protection out of the window from the start.

There's so much research into air intake design, fitting a universal BMC is ludicrous. You're not a silly Jim so I can't understand why you're falling for it time and time again

The VIS kit is such a good solution both for performance, looks and sound."

&

"Most views are based on what people read on forums and what they've bought, that's not fact. My views are based on tests I've carried out and results I have seen (including independant) whilst under the employment of Pipercross.
    Other foam filters (ITG, TrueFlow, Unifilter, etc) are equally as good but they don't make intakes for the VR6.

I'd fit the VIS kit without a second thought. I fitted one to a mates VR6 and it was nothing but grins all round."

anyone think much of this?
    Just like a golf................But better!!!