Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The definitive "What Air Filter?" discussion thread

Re: The definitive "What Air Filter?" discussion thread

Mods - can we sticky this? Seems worthwhile to have it all in one place.

3corsameal- some interesting points there. Cotton filters do get clogged over time, but you just give them a good clean and re-oil (lightly). Cleaned my BMC a couple of months ago. Personally, I'd say it has to be a BMC or some sort of CAI like the Carbonio.
    'ave it!

Corrado Club of Great Britain

Gone, but not forgotten: Mystic Blue VR6 Storm
    Now: Avus Silver Audi S3 :: 1.8 20v Turbo :: BAM :: Recaro Leathers :: Bose :: Badger 5 v2 TIP :: Forge 007p :: 18" BBS RS2

Gallery

"Look Sir, Dubs,"

Same old, same old.....about the foam that is

Stickied at your request.
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

i know cheesewire, its like a never ending debate with no real answers, so i'm not sure whether to spend £160-£200 on something for a bit more noise (although i kinda want that)

from what i understand the pipercross vis kits have a filter that sit nearer the front/bottom of car bumper, but they don't list one for the corrado
    Just like a golf................But better!!!

It's all about tangible gains and benefits mate, i.e. real world differences you can feel, see and hear.
    Very, very few air filter "kits" offer anything worthwhile other than a nasty racket that sounds chavy at worst, a bit meatier at best.

The motor trade has been plying us with horseschitt for donkeys years, with grossly exaggerated claims.

OEM paper is the best filtration medium but it clogs quickly. That's why you generally get very large paper filters, it makes up for the lack of flow and the fact they trap more dirt and clog sooner.

Paper is designed to be good at filtering because of the conditions road cars have to operate in and OEs have to put reliability before outright pace on their road cars.

It is definitely the worst filter in terms of flow, but the cleanest for the engine.

Paper is crap when it gets wet, which is why it's in a nicely designed enclosure to keep moisture out.

Paper is also crap for turbos unless the airbox is designed properly to stop it collapsing. OEs will have ensured that is the case with their airboxes.

Paper is also very cheap to produce and mould into intricate filter shapes. And what is it OEs care about above all else? Minimal outlay, maximum profit :wink:

For a standard car and with mild mods, paper in the stock airbox is fine and actually preferable to open cones and these ghastly foam things you see that look like oversize microphone filters.

Foam and cotton were developed for race cars, and flow is more important than filtration when the engines are rebuilt / replaced frequently.

Cotton stands up to turbos better as it's physically strong. It also copes with water OK and it does filter well and flows well too.

Foam I've never seen the point of personally. Paper and cotton stop the dirt in it's tracks instantly and keep it at the filter's barrier. Foam lets dirt inside it. So how can you be sure you are removing 100% of the dirt when cleaning a foam filter when you can't even see half of it? Complete crap imo.

Obviously no filter at all presents the best air flow to the engine!

And "Ram air" effect is the biggest pile of bollocks ever! Are you ever likely to feel 1psi above atmospheric at 120mph? Nope, you won't :-)

Let's not forget that engines draw in what they need. All this forcing it in via "Ram air" is complete nonsense. With turbo engines, that's even more true!

So you want to spend £160-£200 on a mod? Well I've shown you that £187.90 cams gives you 26hp and 20lb/ft torque, but you'd rather spend the money on a filter which gives you f'ck all??! Oh well, it's your money
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

very well put indeed.

i have always kinda doubted them which is why i'm still using a standard box with paper filter.

i think i'll stick with that and forget the aftermarket filter idea again
    Just like a golf................But better!!!

Great post, Kev + thanks for stickying

I wouldn't pay full whack for any of the expensive filters- got my BMC for £35 on Ebay. Cleaned it and it's as good as new

You've got me thinking about those cams now...
    'ave it!

Corrado Club of Great Britain

Gone, but not forgotten: Mystic Blue VR6 Storm
    Now: Avus Silver Audi S3 :: 1.8 20v Turbo :: BAM :: Recaro Leathers :: Bose :: Badger 5 v2 TIP :: Forge 007p :: 18" BBS RS2

Gallery

"Look Sir, Dubs,"

Enthusiast

Here's my 4 pence...

Yes, I'm a bit of a chav at heart (aren't we all?) So I did want a bit of induction noise to compliment the sound of that beautiful V6.
    The only way to get this without actually decreasing performance due to the dreaded heatsoak (other than drilling the air box) was to pay a bit more for something with a carbon surround. Que the BMC.

Added to this that stealth have dyno'd them to show an actual (small) increase in power.... I didn't think it was worth looking at anything else.

I've been really happy with it to be honest. Silent unless you're giving the loud pedal a bit of abuse!

Having said this, I'd agree that cams are a far more worthwhile mod, but then since I'll be pulling my engine apart anyway, It's easy for me to say that. If I wasn't... I'd still probably buy the BMC.
    Classic Green '94 VR6 | Weitecs || 16" Teledials || BMC || Red Rears || Samco || VDOs || Magnex || Carbon Bonnet |
    http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...0095_36441.jpg

K&N panel with snorkel removed and cold air feed from below fog light, definetly the best bet for a g60

^^^^ Ditto above. Cold air feed taken up through hole left by deleted carbon canister, currently into 'slightly modded' stock airbox (if that's not a contradiction in terms!).

K&N panel filter inside the stock airbox was a PITA to fit - slightly too large, so had to squeeze the top and bottom of the airbox to get it in!

Didn't notice much of anything performance-wise with the K&N alone, but when I added the cold air feed wow! At motorway speeds the engine just seems to breathe more freely, especially on WOT and/or at high revs. Feels more powerful, but I don't have any empirical data to prove that

That's my tuppence worth. :wink:
    Aqua Blue Pearl '91 G60, The Beginning
    Satin Silver Pearl '92 G60, The Return
    Uprated: Wipers, Charger, Induction, Hoses, Exhaust, Lights, Clutch, Coilies
    New: Brakes, Screen, Wishbones, Ignition, Fuelling, Paint!
    CCGB#2830

Ditto all the above, an awesome technically-minded post there from Mr. Cheesewire

Viper intake / Ram-Air will do nothing on a road car except sound bad and empty your wallet

1990 Dark Burgundy Pearl Corrado 16v - Project Plum
    1989 Black Mark 2 Golf GTi 8v - Willow