Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Definitive G60 Timing Belt Setting

great guide but i hope someone can settle a disagreement with my mate!

if i change the cambelt and do no other work do i have to adjust the timing? if so why?

my mate who works in an HGV maindealer and his "experts" he works with say
    "i dont and dont need to bother with all the unplugging coolant sensor revving 3 times to reset ecu sequence rubbish just change the belt it will be fine"

i have shown him all the guides but would be good to be able to give him the technical reason why this is needed
    G60-1991-Alpine White-JMR Stage 4 charger-JMR Big Valve Head-Schrick 268/276 Cam-forged 83mm pistons-
    link to build thread http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...TE-G60-UPDATED

Blog Entries
    Stuart,

If you can manage to get the timing marks to align perfectly then you could leave the timing alone.

The reason I suggest that you need to do the timing is that aligning the timing marks is difficult thanks the inner wing getting in the way of your eyeline, if you get the intermediate shaft in roughly the correct place then by setting up the timing you can compensate for the fact that the timing mark on the intermediate shaft might not be in exactly the correct location.

As for the HGV crowd, the G60 engine management is very very sensitive to correct timing to produce good power, the reason the blue temperature sensor needs to be unplugged is that you then place the engine into a 'basic' setting mode. As the timing is dynamically set (2000-2500 rpm) this mode prevents the ECU from advancing and retarding the timing during the setup process. The 3 revs information may or may not be relevant (I think it is removed from later ECU code) but it is mentioned on the VW G60 workshop video as part of the process so I have included it the guide.

Finally the VW workshop manual instructs you to check (and adjust if required) the timing with a timing light using the process I have previously described after replacing the cambelt; on older distributor equiped engines this is good practice as you never know if the timing was correct before you started.
    Cheers fool,
    Yan
    1990 G60-16v Blue Pearl Effect
    Now sold, 1991 Nugget G60
    CCGB Technical Secretary

cheers for the reply yan
    G60-1991-Alpine White-JMR Stage 4 charger-JMR Big Valve Head-Schrick 268/276 Cam-forged 83mm pistons-
    link to build thread http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...TE-G60-UPDATED