Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Definitive G60 Timing Belt Setting

Enthusiast

Re: Definitive G60 Timing Belt Setting

Sorry,

Yes ignition advance at 2k RPM, blue temp sender disconnected.

And the good thing is the engine bay looks totally stock...
    A problem is an opportunity in disguise

92 G60 Burgundy Pearl Cream Leather - foolishly sold

TVR Cerbera 4.5 , TVR Tuscan S

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Riley
    Quote Originally Posted by Yandards
    Last time i set my timing i used the above method that Yanards mentions...Aligning the single dot on the rear of cam sprocket inline with the top of the rocker gasket...Or the two front dots inline with the wedge of the rocker cover, i can't say it ran very differently on the road (seems strange to me) but i recently rolling roaded it at 203 brake horse if that means anything?

Graph here
    People seemed to think the curve was really good, so maybe the above setting method is correct.

And kick up't tharse, it sounds like your ignition timing is too retarded? Rotor should point a little before the notch in the dizzy body.

Neil.
    The only way to set the dizzy up is dynamically with a timing light, especially as the intermediate shaft has that nasty tendancy to spin when you fit the cambelt.

Figures are 2-2.5k and 5-7 deg BTDC or there should be a mark on the flywheel at 6 deg BTDC, the TDC one has a 0 above it that is barely visible.
    Oh aye...i realise this Yan, I know the notch is only used during static timing for a rough set up.But once set with a timing light the rotor would normally sit slightly before the notch as far as i know? Mine does and my ign timing is bang on 6deg btdc @ 2250rpm.

Neil.
    Yes it would, as long as the intermediate shaft pulley is in exactly the correct place when the cambelt it fitted.
    Cheers fool,
    Yan
    1990 G60-16v Blue Pearl Effect
    Now sold, 1991 Nugget G60
    CCGB Technical Secretary

if you are unsure do what we do on some thing like a subaru, time it up, tipex the pully tooth and go straight on to the belt, do this on all pullies, get the new belt do the first mark then count the teeth to the next one, put belt back and check timing, the japs do this as standard on some cars
    wife says "are you looking at engines again"

CF Nutter

anyone else got an opinion on this?

i must admit the rocker cover molded on pointer and the 2 dot method looks just like what the manual suggests

i cant see they would mark it all up to use a rubber gasket as a guide?

might have a fiddle with mine in the AM as its still a bit strange

Im sticking with the method of leaving the rocker cover and gasket in place, and aligning the two dots on the front of the cam pully with the notch on the rocker cover.

Whats confusing to me is the picture makes it look as though the rocker is removed...and the notch pictured is below the edge of the head.
    Also i can't stand the method for aligning the inter shaft pully, what an utter sh|t idea.As you turn the pully, it can still be seen as or look like its aligned, but how the hell would you ever know for sure when there is no horizontal maker point.

May have a mess with mine again tommorow too, fecking thing is getting on my nerves.
    And why can't i quote attatchments?

Blog Entries

Im sticking with the method of leaving the rocker cover and gasket in place, and aligning the two dots on the front of the cam pully with the notch on the rocker cover.

Whats confusing to me is the picture makes it look as though the rocker is removed...and the notch pictured is below the edge of the head.
    Also i can't stand the method for aligning the inter shaft pully, what an utter sh|t idea.As you turn the pully, it can still be seen as or look like its aligned, but how the hell would you ever know for sure when there is no horizontal maker point.

May have a mess with mine again tommorow too, fecking thing is getting on my nerves.
    And why can't i quote attatchments?
    Yes the intermediate shaft is a rather rubbish way of working as you cant even see the dots to align them properly as the inner wing gets in the way. However, it is not essential that the intermediate shaft is exactly on the money. The reason for that is that the intermediate shaft only drives the oil pump (does not matter when that 'fires') and the distributor - you set the dizzy to the correct place by carrying out the dynamic timing. So basically as long as the car runs well enough to get up to temp and then disconnect the BTS so you can do the dynamic timing the intermediate shaft cambelt position can be a tooth or two out.
    Cheers fool,
    Yan
    1990 G60-16v Blue Pearl Effect
    Now sold, 1991 Nugget G60
    CCGB Technical Secretary

CF Nutter

right well heres some pics from me

it seems to match up well to what yan says,

small screwdriver between 2 dots...touches the rocker cover pointer exactly

rocker off...straight edge on the gasket lines up very nicley

bare head...doesnt line up at all and moving it one tooth still wouldnt line up???

i cant really understand how darren is suggesting it should be ..any chance of a pic darren?

bringing this one back from the dead...

really just want to ask the same as steveo29 can anyone explain how Darren is setting these up? I am going to be changing the cam belt on the weekend I was going to follows Yandards steps but if you can get a little more out of the PG from being a tooth out on the cam pulley then wouldn't mind giving it a go.

CF Nutter

can't see that your going to gain much in terms off free power tbh?!!

I'd personally just set it up as per factory instructions.
    92 G60.

'I'd like to live like a poor man with lots of money.'
    Picasso

maybe not free power, but a better power delivery might be possible