Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mocal fitting - PLEASE NOTE!

Mocal fitting - PLEASE NOTE!

Due to my engine mishap which has cost me a fair amount of money and time, I dont want anyone else making the same error that i have.

If you have a VR and are deleting the existing oil to water cooler to replace it with a sandwich plate, it is VITAL that the extension bolt is fitted the right way around. The bolt has a long and short threaded end, with some oil circulation holes in towards one end. The SHORT threaded end must go into the oil cap and you can check this by confirming the oil circulation holes are nearest the cap. If you dont do this, oil will NOT circulate beyond the cooler and will damage your cylinder head and possibly your block. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ensure you get it right. It 'does' matter and those who have fitted it without noting the orientation may have been lucky with fitting it properly first time.

Just wanted to share this and i hope it doesnt put anyone off fitting a mocal. BTW, my oil pressure lamp did not come on, nor did i get temps higher than 104C. Just the now notorious tapping noise.

I didnt take any pics of my cap, but i'll try and get some new ones next weekend.
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

Re: Mocal fitting - PLEASE NOTE!

Holy Ping Pong balls, is that what caused your engine to self destruct?

Thanks for the top tip!

I must admit, I never paid attention to that when I fitted mine either!
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

CF Nutter

I must admit I was a bit annoyed that these didn't come with fitting instructions.
    Maybe it is different on the VR's but on the g60 kits you have to cut the oil housing thread etc..

I never looked for any holes or the like when I fitted mine.

92 G60.

'I'd like to live like a poor man with lots of money.'
    Picasso

Enthusiast

The standard bolt and cap, the holes are near the cap end so its pretty straight forward.(not having a go by the way )
    Moonlight VR6|Heated Leather|BMC|Supersprint|6 Branch|Decat|VT mounts|Weitec Coilovers|BBTB|268's|Red rears|De-wipered|VDO's|Mocal Cooler|Ally crack pipe|16" speedlines|
    http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...eneral/sig.jpg

CF Nutter

Quote Originally Posted by steve @
    The standard bolt and cap, the holes are near the cap end so its pretty straight forward.(not having a go by the way )
    yeah yeah i'm putting u on my pooh list.pistols at dawn.
    :wink:

Seriously though It simple when u know but I never knew to look is all.
    92 G60.

Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by dirtytorque
    Maybe it is different on the VR's but on the g60 kits you have to cut the oil housing thread etc..

didnt want to cut anything incase i want to revert back to standard at a later date, so i got the oil filter housing threaded bar from a mk1 golf

i did have a look at my g60 one as im in the process of fitting mine and i cant see any way to go wrong, it only goes on one way and and the thermostatic bit doesnt matter which way the pipes go to the cooler, so i dont think the g60 boys need to worry.
    I love my corrado, she may be a golddigger and an attention queen....but then shes fit..and shes only 18 years old....

...sod that bought a driftcar lol!!

CF Nutter

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi B
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtytorque

didnt want to cut anything incase i want to revert back to standard at a later date, so i got the oil filter housing threaded bar from a mk1 golf

i did have a look at my g60 one as im in the process of fitting mine and i cant see any way to go wrong, it only goes on one way and and the thermostatic bit doesnt matter which way the pipes go to the cooler, so i dont think the g60 boys need to worry.
    92 G60.

Picasso

Wow , I have to admit, that I didin't pay attention to this, when fitted sandwich plate. But it seems, that I've have done it right, because no problems even after track days (though on track oil temp reaches ~140)...
    90' corrado VR6 2.8 (under construction)

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆

Gonna be fitting one of these in the next week - anyone fancy taking some pics to show how it should and shouldnt be done?? Not to sure by the description above.

T
    '93 Dark Burgandy Pearl VR6 Mint - custom time attack leather interior - broken and all gone less the front window glass both sides
    Now have a "sensible" estate but back to Corrado fun in the future

Is it ok to fit the sandwhich plate with the outlets facing downwards?

When pointing upwards my hoses seem to rub on the crack pipe.
    Poll

C63 AMG Coupé +
    Corrado VR6 Turbo

GONE: Porsche Cayman S / E46 M3

Aqua-Blue Pearl | Stealth Turbo | Custom Exhaust | 17" BBS RCs| Wavetrac LSD |Racelogic TC | 262s | ARPs | Cream Leather | Weitec Hicon GTs + Rear Arb | 312 Brembos + Mk4 rears | Aero Wipers | DDI | Momo | Mocal | S3 Shifter |Fixed Column...