Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The definitive VR6 cooling guide

CF-oholic!

Re: FAN TEMP

Quote Originally Posted by Critical_Mass
    My previous 2ltr 8v rado did that, as did my G60. My 93 Vr has never had the fans come on after engine has been switched off, even after giving it some beans before hand. Potential problem, or how it should be?
    How hot was the water? Is the aux water pump shagged? (quite a few are and they're not cheap to replace). If it's not getting stupidly hot, then I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3corsameal
    i mixed my coolant up nearly 50/50, more like 60/40 is that right?
    No, you'll die in a firey death immediately.

Course it is. It might not cool quite as well, but nowt major. It just cost you more to fill up. The G12+ is anti-freeze/anti-corrosion solution and hasn't got quite as good thermal absorption qualities as water, but there's not much in it.
    Pedestrianised.
    '95 Satin Silver VR .: Koni :: H&R ::TT brakes :: Compomotive :: Magnex :: Recaro :: Audioscape :: DDI :.
    '93 Satin Silver VR .: Koni :: H&R :.
    '94 Aqua Blue VR .: RI(many)P :.

CF-oholic!

Re: FAN TEMP

Quote Originally Posted by dinkus
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical_Mass
    My previous 2ltr 8v rado did that, as did my G60. My 93 Vr has never had the fans come on after engine has been switched off, even after giving it some beans before hand. Potential problem, or how it should be?
    How hot was the water? Is the aux water pump shagged? (quite a few are and they're not cheap to replace). If it's not getting stupidly hot, then I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
    The water temp was no higher then it should be running, no more then 110. The water pump was replaced in January, whilst the engine was out. The temperature is fine even when im pushing it. So as you've said, its not worth losing sleep over Just wasnt sure if it should come on after the engine was switched off. I guess ill see if the days stay hot.
    Gaz

'93 VR6 Bordeaux pearl- Recon VR engine -16/01/08; KW V1s; BMC CDA; Milltek Sports CAT; Supersprint exhaust; 16" Cades Eros; smoked rears & side reps - SOLD 14/07/2013 Gone but not forgotten.

"We can't stop here this is bat country"

Re: The definitive VR6 cooling guide

Quality thread Dinkle!

Have you wired the 3rd fan stage to a switch on the dash then?

I'd be interested in doing just that, cos if there's one thing I'm paranoid about, it's high coolant temps!

Cheers!!1!

1995 Aqua Blue Pearl VR6

Having had my Laptop as a passenger for the past 18 months, I've observed the following in respect of VR Water temps :-

"Middle of the guage" on the VR is actually 98 degrees and Stage 1 fan will be running. It kicks in as Dinks advised, at 95 deg C.
    The water temp gauge under reads by around 10 deg below "middle", which highlights car manufacturers always bias temp gauges to sit in the middle because middle is "normal" to most people

Above 45mph, normal summer cruise water temp is 80 - 84 deg C

Above 40mph, normal Winter cruise temp is 75 - 82 deg C.

I also discovered you only need one, yes ONE, 11" SPAL fan to keep the water at 95 deg constantly in traffic, even when it's 27 deg C outside, like it was last night when I was stuck on the A12 for an hour waiting for an accident to clear.

The whole 3 speed thing for the uK is a nonsense. Completely over the top!!

Not sure if Dinks mentioned it, but you can bridge the red/black speed 2 wire and also the black Speed 3 wires with a 2 way switch and manually start them in the car :wink:

Oh and it's the pump that remains active for around 10 mins on shut down, not the fans. Speeds 1 and 2 will only start if necessary, i.e. between 95 and 105 degs.
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

CF-oholic!

Thanks for the info Mr. Cheesewire.

That info about the after-run does make a bit more sense. I couldn't work out how it was going to work otherwise.

I'll update the main thread now...
    Pedestrianised.
    '95 Satin Silver VR .: Koni :: H&R ::TT brakes :: Compomotive :: Magnex :: Recaro :: Audioscape :: DDI :.

Regular

Regarding cooling, i've been running my vr6 for a couple of months now, with a swtich on the speed 3 fan, total control in theses hot conditions, and would recommended it also.

The idea behind the after-run pump is too circulate the water round the heater matrix and rear of the block to prevent localised over heating.

That runs regardless, come rain, shine, snow, ice and even if the engine hasn't even run (ignition on, then off).

Speed 1 has direct battery power and will run if it's triggered.

Speed 2 has power maintained to it only during the 10 min after run cycle and will also run only if tiggered.

Speed 3 is ignition only.

So if you pull up after a journey and the fans don't run, that is a good thing, not a bad thing :wink:

Im going to be putting a switch between the speed 3 fan on mine ready for mu euro trip. Can see it being rather helpful when its most likely going to be over 30 degrees

Also will get a SPAL when i have some spare cash, which probs wont be for a while
    Blackberry R32 278bhp - Gone but not forgotten

CF-oholic!

Just for anal-retentiveness and/or completeness...

Do you know which 11" fan you have on your VR? There seem to be three differen 11" (280mm) Spal fans available..
    Code:
    SPAL Ref:                SPAL Code:         Dia.        Depth          Air Flow           Current       Airflow
    VA09-AP8/C-54A           3010.0318         280 mm       52 mm         1500 m3/hr         6.9 Amps       Suction
    VA03-AP70/LL-37A         3010.2054         280 mm       94 mm         2350 m3/hr         12.5 Amps      Suction
    VA04-AP70/LL-37A         3010.2076         280 mm       94 mm         2350 m3/hr         12.5 Amps      Suction
    Pedestrianised.

God knows! Defo a suction one and probably the middle one