Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: The definitive VR6 cooling guide

Thanks for that everyone, I feel less worried now. My initial concern about the stat fendervg was that the engine may be "overcooling" if the stat was stuck open. I don't know if this even possible but thought it seemed plausible!

Yeah, I'd agree that the temperatures sound normal, so no need to worry. To get a better reading it would be an idea to put VCDS on and look at the coolant temp that is read from the blue ECU sender. I don't really trust the clocks that much. Mine sit between 80-90 degrees coolant, with a lot of variation, and 95-110 degrees oil depending on how hard you are driving.

The problem is that there are simply so many parts to the coolant system - radiator, water pump, auxiliary pump, thermostat, fans etc. - that it's hard to pin point something without replacing the lot.

I get that VW might have changed the thermostat to regulate the temp by restricting flow to a different base temperature, but I can't see it being that accurate, and I'd say on a VR, once the stat is open it stays open and temperature variations are controlled by radiator airflow and the fans, but I could be wrong.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

If the stat is stuck open - which it's designed to do if a failure occurs, you'll see temp rise on the gauge when stationary, and drop whilst cruising. Almost all I've seen sit a touch low, nothing like modern cars which sit steady on 90 all day long. I've changed every part of my cooling system including sensors but except the hoses, and mine still always reads around the 80 mark unless sat in traffic, but provided the fans kick in when they should all is well mate.
    95 Classic Green VR6 - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982

Your oil temp is a guide aswell as to weather the cooling system is working properly. Should sit when upto temp after about 10 mins at about 100-110 no matter what traffic or outside temp. If it's not getting there or seeing it go over that there's a good chance something is wrong.

In fairness, the oil temperature seems bang on, having read what everyone has said I'm going to stop worrying about it and just keep an eye on the oil temp. Sounds as though if that's right then all else seems good!

Having said that when sitting @ 4K revs for a good while you could see 120 degrees but water at 90.

Quote Originally Posted by 1xshaunx1 View Post
    Having said that when sitting @ 4K revs for a good while you could see 120 degrees but water at 90.
    Not to mention flashing blue lights in the rear view mirror..

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mat View Post
    Not to mention flashing blue lights in the rear view mirror..

Just take it up to 6K revs for a while and watch the lights get smaller and smaller until eventually they disappear!
    Just kidding! A speeding fine and a row is much better than the other possibilities!

Quote Originally Posted by graham1971 View Post
    Just take it up to 6K revs for a while and watch the lights get smaller and smaller until eventually they disappear!
    Just kidding!
    Heh, you'd have to be going down a very big hill, or pulling very big power to actually hit 150 mph..

[ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

Hi all,

My VR6 radiator fan seems to be coming on very early, after a 5 min run of normal driving . Temp sits around 90 on the coolant gauge and coolant level is fine...any ideas anybody?

Thanks in advance