Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: The definitive VR6 cooling guide

Have you fixed yours then Tony, if so what was it
    4th one surely the last

Quote Originally Posted by fendervg View Post
    Thanks Tony - I'll take a look later and check to see if I can find any more on it - it's kind of covered by the bracket that holds it, so will need to drop it.

EDIT: on second thoughts, I have the early controller with just the single large fuse, so will need to keep looking. Are the late type ones interchangeable with the early ones by any chance?
    Im sure I read somewhere that early models had a 2 stage fan and late 3 stage , could of imagined it though. Would this be the reason they changed over fan controller, I have no idea to be honest but keep us updated on your progress .

Cheers.
    Last edited by Keyo; 4 Weeks Ago at 9:58 PM.

How many sensors do you have in your thermostat Fen ?

Quote Originally Posted by Keyo View Post
    How many sensors do you have in your thermostat Fen ?
    There's 3 sensors, yellow, blue and black/brown. I think stage 3 is one of these sensors. It's definitely 3 stage as I've heard it come on in after-run and also when the rad sensor was faulty, and it's so loud you couldn't miss it.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Yep 3 stage for sure , I can't see why the newer version of the fan controller would not work if it is three stage. there is also another fan controller unit that is cheaper then the late VR fan control unit that has an A on the end with the same part number before that, is a lot more common and therefore cheaper, maybe this will also work.

From a Golf Mk3 357 919 506 A
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Golf-M...AAAOSw5SNdRHYS
    Last edited by Keyo; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:49 PM.

It does appear that you can use a MK3 golf one as the part numbers are cross referenced on this aftermarket fan control unit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-VEM-R...cAAOSw6UlcpjuI

Manufacturer Part Number 1: FORD : 7203654, FORD : 95VW14B205AA, SEAT : 357919506, SEAT : 357919506A, SEAT : 3A0919506, VAG : 357919506, VAG : 357919506A, VAG : 3A0919506, VW : 357919506, VW : 357919506A, VW : 3A0919506

Has your part number on your existing fan got one of the above numbers?
    Last edited by Keyo; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fendervg View Post
    There's 3 sensors, yellow, blue and black/brown. I think stage 3 is one of these sensors. It's definitely 3 stage as I've heard it come on in after-run and also when the rad sensor was faulty, and it's so loud you couldn't miss it.
    Yeah, from memory.....

2 pin blue = engine ECU coolant sensor
    4 pin yellow = Stage 2 fans and dash gauge - 105 ish degrees
    2 pin black = Stage 3 fans - 115 ish degrees
    3 pin thermo switch in radiator = Stage 1 fan and after run pump signal to fan controller - 95 degrees

I believe the Fan controller takes a signal from the yellow and black sensors, and stage 1 runs autonomously.

It's one hell of a system just to run some fans

Maybe MK5 GTI fans would be a good upgrade. The controller is built into the fan motor and just takes one signal from the coolant sensor. Much simpler!
    Last edited by Kevin Bacon; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:47 PM.
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    Quote Originally Posted by 1xshaunx1 View Post
    Have you fixed yours then Tony, if so what was it
    It's half fixed - the run on issue sorted itself out which just left the fans coming on with the ignition. Pulling fuse 6 stopped it happening - I thought there was a crossed circuit somewhere as most fusebox guides say that fuse is just for the fresh air blower, but nope, buried in the late vr wiring diagrams, the circuit splits to send an ignition live signal to the fan controller. I found the connector behind the fusebox, disconnected the fan controller feed and the fans went off... I'd already changed the fan controller, so now the issue had to be in the signal circuits for the temp senders.

So I went back to disconnecting the senders, yellow and rad sender no difference, but the issue stopped when I disconnected the black sender - it must have been stage 3 that was coming on, not stage 2.

That's as far as I've got, I'm running without the black sender plugged in at the moment, next step is to order a new sender, plug it into the connector and see what happens. Or I have a brown sender in the garage (and new 4 pin connector) as I was planning to run aircon at some point.

Other electrical gremlins are okay for now - rear light turned out to be that I'd dropped a small nut into the rear light bulb holder when reassembling the car after welding and painting - that was shorting the circuit and blowing the fuse. Horn is working for now, not sure what was wrong here, though the temp sender wiring and horn follow a similar route down the chassis leg.

Sorry for all the detail, hope it helps though if someone is trying to diagnose a similar problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tony_ack View Post
    It's half fixed - the run on issue sorted itself out which just left the fans coming on with the ignition. Pulling fuse 6 stopped it happening - I thought there was a crossed circuit somewhere as most fusebox guides say that fuse is just for the fresh air blower, but nope, buried in the late vr wiring diagrams, the circuit splits to send an ignition live signal to the fan controller. I found the connector behind the fusebox, disconnected the fan controller feed and the fans went off... I'd already changed the fan controller, so now the issue had to be in the signal circuits for the temp senders.

So I went back to disconnecting the senders, yellow and rad sender no difference, but the issue stopped when I disconnected the black sender - it must have been stage 3 that was coming on, not stage 2.

That's as far as I've got, I'm running without the black sender plugged in at the moment, next step is to order a new sender, plug it into the connector and see what happens. Or I have a brown sender in the garage (and new 4 pin connector) as I was planning to run aircon at some point.

Other electrical gremlins are okay for now - rear light turned out to be that I'd dropped a small nut into the rear light bulb holder when reassembling the car after welding and painting - that was shorting the circuit and blowing the fuse. Horn is working for now, not sure what was wrong here, though the temp sender wiring and horn follow a similar route down the chassis leg.

Sorry for all the detail, hope it helps though if someone is trying to diagnose a similar problem.
    Fuse 13 (horn) also covers the aux water pump and radiator run on.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Good luck with this Ant sounds like your well on your way to solving the issues.