Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk4 Golf Rear Calipers Upgrade. Re: Parts

Mk4 Golf Rear Calipers Upgrade. Re: Parts

As with the front brake thread, i'm still in the middle of doing this, hoping to fit everything next week. Just wanted to compile all the info i've found out with your help. Should help others and they won't have to make 100 threads like i do

I was refurbing some corrado rear calipers i bought, but halfway through discovered how naff they are and prone to seizing, i've had lots of annoyance with my handbrake and been informed the mk4 calipers are much better.

WHAT YOU NEED:

Mk4 Golf Calipers = VW Part numbers: 1J0 615 423 & 1J0 615 424 = £76.50 + vat each

They fit the standard corrado carriers, so no need to change them, but you may want to get some slider pins (depending on condition of yours) these aren't availiable seperately, you have to buy the whole carrier.

I got a 2nd hand set in good condition, so i can reuse the best out of the 8 i will have once i've taken old brakes off car.

(note the two different types, one type has a flat area running down

The golf calipers also use the standard corrado discs and pads, so just buy them to suit your car.

DISCS -To suit Standard corrado, non vented discs.

PADS - To suit Standard corrado pads

REAR WHEEL BEARINGS: Not sure these have to be done, but they are pressed into the discs so easier to replace then messing around getting old ones out. VW Part number: 191 598 625 = £16.32 + vat each (you need 2no)

REAR BRAKE HOSES: The golf calipers don't use the same fittings as the corrado, so you need a Goodridge hose set, called a mk2-mk4 conversion kit, meant for a mk2 golf, and are a banjo fitting instead of the screw in hoses. Goodridge Part number: SVW0506-2P

HANDBRAKE CABLE: Optional really, but i'm getting new as i'm doing most other stuff. VW part number: 1H0 609 712E = £11.32 + vat each (you need 2no)

If i've missed anything or got anything wrong feel free to tell me, as i'm no expert
    Last edited by Jim Bowen; 19th March 2012 at 2:01 PM. Reason: I moved photos on photobucket, so fixing the broken links
    Just like a golf................But better!!!

Re: Mk4 Golf Rear Calipers Upgrade. Re: Parts

ABS rings
    MK3 Carrier and standard caliper bolts
    MK4 Clip for the handbrake cable

Maybe brake sheilds and stub axle bolts and bolt cover?

...:::Supercharged:::...

1.8 G60 & 1.9 TDI

Please help the forum stay alive!
    Want to help monthly? Why not

whats the mk4 clip for the handbrake cable?

will i need them? ffs

am not doing the ABS ring....

also whats the mk3 carriers and bolts for? don't tell me i need them aswell

CF Nutter

Feck, £179.78 just for the calipers, surely they can be had cheaper from elsewhere other than VW ??

I have all the bits bar the calipers and the carriers ? Can the carriers be bought new direct from VW and any idea of prices mate ?

Called Big-Red and they can do new ones, fully powder-coated in red or other colours for £165 delivered (as long as you send them old calipers back) or £205 delivered (if old ones not set back). Black ones are £125 delivered (no surcharge) or £165 (surcharge inc.). Standard finish (electroplated) are £140 delivered per pair (no surcharge) or £180 delivered (surcharge).

Think will end up getting the Big-Red powdercoated red ones, if I send them back my G60 ones and a spare old MK4 one I have lying around will only be £145 delivered which is not too bad really, compared to VW price.
    2XX ? BHP Corrado G60 in Subaru Sonic Blue Metallic, build underway........so many wheels, so little time........

i looked around for alternatives to buying from VW, phoned biggred and they had one new one and one refurbed one, and wanted £156 for them, without sending anything back

ebay only turned up some that looked non-genuine to me.

i asked about the carriers and they were £60 each iirc, thats with the pins and boots. I didn't want to spend any more money so didn't get them

still can't undo the brake line on the front where it joins to car, think i've buggered the nut up now

also do i need to put some kind of grease in the bearings and do i need someone to press them into the discs?

i should have a read of the bentley manual later really

Have you hit it with a hammer and punch yet?

Enthusiast

Have fun with a flaring tool and copper pipes I feel your pain

Copper lines should also be added to the list of parts as the chance of doing this upgrade without replacing these is very slim.

Quote Originally Posted by 3corsameal
    also do i need to put some kind of grease in the bearings and do i need someone to press them into the discs?

i should have a read of the bentley manual later really
    Yes, plenty, and yes.

nice one chaps, thanks.

i think i'm going to get one of those copper pipe tools, i will be getting a decent one as i also need to do the lines on the land rover at some point, so me and a friend can split the cost of that. What size pipe do i need, and the screw nut thingys?

What type of grease do i need?

so many questions....