Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to identify dead top mounts.

How to identify dead top mounts.

The question seems to come up on here quite often of how to tell if your topmounts are dead.

If they look like this It's a good bet that they are FUBAR.
    [attachment=2:1ftxkoqc]DSC_0275.JPG[/attachment:1ftxkoqc]
    those where genuine top mounts with about 15k miles on them, so it seems the coilovers really do accelerate the wear.

New or good ones should look something like this.
    [attachment=1:1ftxkoqc]DSC_0270.JPG[/attachment:1ftxkoqc]

It's a bit clearer with them removed.
    [attachment=0:1ftxkoqc]DSC_0278.JPG[/attachment:1ftxkoqc]
    SNS 5.5, 68mm pulley, RSR outlet, BBM boost pipes, mocal oil cooler, weitec hicon TX coilovers, BBS RM's, mk4 golf rear calipers, audioscape doorpods, rear strut brace, CCGB member 3541

Re: How to identify dead top mounts.

Good pics mate, your right about coilovers but those G60 mounts seem to fair better that the VR6 type - I went thru a genuine pair of those in a year and the bearings just fell apart... it a combination or low, stiff suspension and our crap roads

...:::Supercharged:::...

1.8 G60 & 1.9 TDI

Please help the forum stay alive!
    Want to help monthly? Why not

Yeah the bearings where completely shot on those, could feel the slack in them every time you went over a dip or bump in the road.

Got the MOT on tuesday, so I needed to get a few bits done before then, but it's no fun doing these things outside when its so cold there is ice forming on my socket set

My back is now killing me though
    SNS 5.5, 68mm pulley, RSR outlet, BBM boost pipes, mocal oil cooler, weitec hicon TX coilovers, BBS RM's, mk4 golf rear calipers, audioscape doorpods, rear strut brace, CCGB member 3541

surely you can do top mounts inside? just take the whole strut into the warmth

might be worth adding a note saying that the top brass plates are supposed to sit proud, else some nooblet will come along (as has happened before) seen that picture with the description "dead" and poo themselves.

1990 Dark Burgundy Pearl Corrado 16v - Project Plum
    1989 Black Mark 2 Golf GTi 8v - Willow

Quote Originally Posted by boost monkey
    surely you can do top mounts inside? just take the whole strut into the warmth

might be worth adding a note saying that the top brass plates are supposed to sit proud, else some nooblet will come along (as has happened before) seen that picture with the description "dead" and poo themselves.
    There is no need to remove the suspension when doing the top mounts, just remove both top nuts, top plates and the slot nuts and then jack the front of the car up and put it on some tall axle stands, the suspension then drops down far enough to just remove the top mounts and put the new ones on, only takes 20 minutes per side.

It was the lying on my back on the freezing ground to strip and re-paint the brake lines that was the worst bit

There is a note above each picture explaining what the knackered or good ones should look like, the top plate is yellow zinc passivate coated steel by the way.

wow, the suspension must be in MASSIVE droop doing it that way. you sure that doesn't cause excessive wear to wishbone bushes or things like track rod knuckle joints where they connect to the rack? There can't be much space to remove the mounts until the suspension has dropped significantly I would have thought? top of the turrets are pretty narrow.

sounds ideal though, and I guess that's how garages do it anyways so perhaps it makes sense.

1990 Dark Burgundy Pearl Corrado 16v - Project Plum
    1989 Black Mark 2 Golf GTi 8v - Willow

I'm running coilies and poly bushes on mine so the struts are a fair bit shorter, so you dont have to drop them too far, but you can do the same with standard suspension by just using a set of spring compressors to pull the top of the suspension down a bit while you swap the top mounts over, you do need the top plates on both sides removed though otherwise the roll bar will hold it up.

I just lightly pushed the tyre down with my knee while holding the top mount up then shifted the top of the suspension to one side, then drop the top mount out, cleaned the cup and put the new top mount in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coolrado
    I'm running coilies and poly bushes on mine so the struts are a fair bit shorter, so you dont have to drop them too far, but you can do the same with standard suspension by just using a set of spring compressors to pull the top of the suspension down a bit while you swap the top mounts over, you do need the top plates on both sides removed though otherwise the roll bar will hold it up.

I just lightly pushed the tyre down with my knee while holding the top mount up then shifted the top of the suspension to one side, then drop the top mount out, cleaned the cup and put the new top mount in.
    I would think that you can't do this without dropping the suspension off unless you are running coilovers, mind you as you will need to do the top mounts every couple of years if you are doing coilovers it makes sense!!
    Cheers fool,
    Yan
    1990 G60-16v Blue Pearl Effect
    Now sold, 1991 Nugget G60
    CCGB Technical Secretary

As I mentioned above, it can be done with standard suspension you just need to use spring compressors to pull the top of the suspension down a bit, you may also need to push the damper rod down a bit as they extend uner their own pressure, I did it twice on mine before i had the coilovers.

Did you notice if the nearside one was more fooked than the offside? I always find that's the case with mine! Probably because 90% of the bumps and holes are usually kerb side.

As Supercharged says, the VR6 top mounts (Genuine) don't last at all..... probably about 3k on mine, which is about the same lifespan as the spherical bearings in my solid TMs.

Interestingly, the VR6 bearing is the same one used on MK4s, R32s etc....but they seem to last a hell of a lot longer

I'm sure Bonrath used to do uprated bearings / TMs? I'll try and find some....
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32