Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to identify dead top mounts.

Re: How to identify dead top mounts.

Yeah, off side was definately more worn, but i put that down to the bloody speed ramps at the bottom of our road, they are very badly positioned so i almost always have to go over them with the off side wheels.

It went straight through the MOT yesterday without any advisories, although they couldn't get it on the rollers for the brake test as it was too low, so he had to use a g-meter stuck to the windscreen
    SNS 5.5, 68mm pulley, RSR outlet, BBM boost pipes, mocal oil cooler, weitec hicon TX coilovers, BBS RM's, mk4 golf rear calipers, audioscape doorpods, rear strut brace, CCGB member 3541

Quote Originally Posted by cheesewire
    Did you notice if the nearside one was more fooked than the offside? I always find that's the case with mine! Probably because 90% of the bumps and holes are usually kerb side.

As Supercharged says, the VR6 top mounts (Genuine) don't last at all..... probably about 3k on mine, which is about the same lifespan as the spherical bearings in my solid TMs.

Interestingly, the VR6 bearing is the same one used on MK4s, R32s etc....but they seem to last a hell of a lot longer

I'm sure Bonrath used to do uprated bearings / TMs? I'll try and find some....
    bonrath do indeed still make uprated top mounts (recently bought some myself from regal autosport for about £75 delivered)
    they don't make the uprated bearings though apparently - i did make a point of asking regal and was told that they don't...

would standard VAG bearings last any longer with nicer top mounts? - the bonrath ones are not loads harder than the VAG jobbies, but they do seem much more solid overall (if that makes sense...)
    Griff
    '93 R32 converted VR6 - sadly missed

Dead or Alive mounts please help me

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by KempywantsaCorrado
    Dead or Alive mounts please help me
    well dead
    G60 92 Green Pearl Effect, de-badged, fk coilovers, drilled front discs, mk4 golf rear brakes, headlight loom, lupo wipers, jabba induction kit, boost return delete mod, miltek ss cat back, 4 branch manifold, SNS 5.5, BBM rsr, powerflex bushes

I've not done that many miles really, dunno how they got that bad

whats the proper name for the top mount is it, strut bearing? trying to find it on my bently manual

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by KempywantsaCorrado
    whats the proper name for the top mount is it, strut bearing? trying to find it on my bently manual
    page 40.9
    G60 92 Green Pearl Effect, de-badged, fk coilovers, drilled front discs, mk4 golf rear brakes, headlight loom, lupo wipers, jabba induction kit, boost return delete mod, miltek ss cat back, 4 branch manifold, SNS 5.5, BBM rsr, powerflex bushes

I dunno if they are as bad as they look in that pic...Is it the rubber mount thats had it?

Enthusiast

i'd say they get soft and wear with friction comes complete as a kit anyhow bout £15 per side

thats not to bad, I bought new bump stops when I fitted them but didnt think about anything else. Is it the same with coilovers? do they fit the same at the top, like a shock? cheers for your help bud anyway