Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to identify dead top mounts.

Enthusiast

Re: How to identify dead top mounts.

exactly the same mate
    G60 92 Green Pearl Effect, de-badged, fk coilovers, drilled front discs, mk4 golf rear brakes, headlight loom, lupo wipers, jabba induction kit, boost return delete mod, miltek ss cat back, 4 branch manifold, SNS 5.5, BBM rsr, powerflex bushes

My top mounts look like the "knackered" pictures, however they have been on the car a week and done less than 200 miles. They were genuine VW parts and fitted by a local garage. There are no knocks or bangs coming from the front end, unlike the last mounts. Will they sit higher as my car is lowered so much or are these new ones actually badgered?
    Aqua blue 1.9 IHI Turbo
    My Build Thread

Mirror, Signal, Boost

It strikes me that the top mount is almost certain to compress a little during use over time, and someone ought to check the factory service guide to decide just how much compression is "too much" before writing off hundreds of the things.
    Plus the top plate moves a *lot* as the steering angle changes, so make sure the wheels are exactly straight ahead when you're comparing.

Though I have to say that replacement parts on these bloody cars really don't last well. I do less than 3k miles per year yet I still seem to be replacing suspension components repeatedly every five years or so. They just don't make 'em like they used to ..
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

Though I have to say that replacement parts on these bloody cars really don't last well. I do less than 3k miles per year yet I still seem to be replacing suspension components repeatedly every five years or so. They just don't make 'em like they used to ..
    It's the roads they don't make like they used to Matt!

Genuine top mounts are the only ones that last on Corrado's but even then the bearings can need changing as they are only plastic - happens on newer cars too.

The other thing to consider is equal wear of parts meaning you really need to renew all the suspension components at once to get the most life out of the new parts.

...:::Supercharged:::...

1.8 G60 & 1.9 TDI

Please help the forum stay alive!
    Want to help monthly? Why not

What plastic bearings? I've put two sets of top mount bearings in my VR in the last five years (just because they were off, not because they'd failed), and they were all metal.

Definitely plastic mate - well the cases anyway!

They seem to get changed on MK4's / Audi A3's every 30-40 miles or so but I do wonder if it's because garages use air guns to do the top nuts up.

...:::Supercharged:::...

1.8 G60 & 1.9 TDI

Please help the forum stay alive!
    Want to help monthly? Why not

Hi, can you help me with my top mounts, they have looked like this since i replaced the suspension and everything is new, have i got the top bush in the wrong way round or something???

black 1996 vr6, heated leather, fk coilovers, mk.4 rear's and 'stone effect' paintwork to the front!
    PICS

Can't really tell, looks alright to me ...

please note the knackered one's in my photo's are for a g60, the vr6 ones may look totally different when knackered.
    SNS 5.5, 68mm pulley, RSR outlet, BBM boost pipes, mocal oil cooler, weitec hicon TX coilovers, BBS RM's, mk4 golf rear calipers, audioscape doorpods, rear strut brace, CCGB member 3541

are mine dead or alive? VR6 94'

another angle

thanks.