Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: Aqua blue pearl VR - p.34 bonnet cable repair

bonnet cable repair

Long gap on updates, nothing spectacular though - finally popped the bonnet open and replaced the bonnet cable and mech with a tandem cable. I used the original cable than runs across the slam panel only because it has two plastic collars on the end which slot into the retainer brackets.

List of items was from an earlier thread - i'll dig it out again and send the appropriate thanks! IN essence it was a tandem cable, oversheath, ferrules for the end of the oversheath, a cable tensioner and a locking clamp plus a small end clip to put on the end of the cable (which i need to do)

I also used an l-shaped steel bracket, drilled out on of the holes and screwed it to the handle mech. Does away with that silly clamp that always breaks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

Also redid the fuel pipe repair i had done a few weeks back - this time i fitted the brass barbs onto the blue fuel pipe heating the pipe in a mug of hot water and pressing the pipe onto the barb. I wasn't really happy with the first one
    Constant tension clamps were used (not jubilees) You could also use the double eared clamps - i only used one as there was already a constant tension clamp there.

Hope the sizes and images help anyone who has a split fuel pipe. Its a nice easy job, but just takes time to do. Much easier than replacing the pipe
    Last edited by fla; 6 Days Ago at 10:08 PM.
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

Nice bonnet fix... I heard that you can put an emergency pull cord somewhere in the mechanism. So if it fails you have a way of opening it from inside the grille
    Corrado VR6 - Aqua Blue LC5U - 96 'N' Plate
    Black Leather - Heated Seats - Air Con
    Totally Standard and intend to keep it that way !

Hibernation for Winter ! SORN

Yes i was going to do.one but didn't have enough cable. But it shouldn't be too hard. Will post up some pics when its done
    Hasan

my car

it would be good to get an emergency bonnet opening system in place - my cable broke last year and of course broke the grille trying to get it open
    Have a new grille but i am afraid to fit it as iam waiting for the cable to fail again!!

Quote Originally Posted by fla View Post
    Yes i was going to do.one but didn't have enough cable. But it shouldn't be too hard. Will post up some pics when its done
    Look forward to the solution

Here's my fan loom which is wired so that there's one fan on stage 1 and both on stages 2&3.

I haven't sealed up the diode yet as i want to check that they do indeed both come on as required.

I didn't take a photo with the plastic retaining clip in the end of the connector - but its the opposite of that on the main harness from the fan control module.

Both connectors were replaced with the ones from a Mk5 golf, while the other end has a pair of superseal connectors.

Its a slightly fiddly job, getting the lengths right and arranging the wiring properly.
    Hasan

my car

just need to check my recently replaced starter as every so often it tends to make an unnerving bang and the car does not turn over - i suspect that the solenoid must be shorting somewhere but when its off i'll know more. Strange, as its a Bosch unit (albeit from GSF)
    Hasan

my car

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Quote Originally Posted by delfinis38 View Post
    Nice bonnet fix... I heard that you can put an emergency pull cord somewhere in the mechanism. So if it fails you have a way of opening it from inside the grille
    I have a piece of wire wrapped around each of the releasing rods that the trumpets pull against. These hang out of the way each side of my grille and with some clever hooking, can be fished through the grille. A pull on each releases each side. Works for me and there for an emergency
    Cress
    95 VR6
    One day she will drive out of my Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cressa View Post
    I have a piece of wire wrapped around each of the releasing rods that the trumpets pull against. These hang out of the way each side of my grille and with some clever hooking, can be fished through the grille. A pull on each releases each side. Works for me and there for an emergency
    Was thinking similar...do you have a picture..