Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Aqua blue pearl VR - p.34 bonnet cable repair

Re: Aqua blue pearl auto VR

stripped down and hammerited the clutch master cylinder and clips, cleaned lubed and hammeritied the manual starter motor. My car will be held together with foam and hammerite at this rate. Stripping down the front tomorrow to remove the auto box...miss it already, lazy town driving, bit of kickdown when you need it Manual WILL be better though, especially after the 24v (next year), wife permitting Will post some pics of the job, just in case anyone else wants to go down this mad route!
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

CF Nutter

Food stuff Hasan, next year is a little far away though isn't it? might be asking for your help before that!!
    [strike:3nc62h55]'91 Metallic Black G60[/strike:3nc62h55]
    '94 Aqua Blue VR6

more than happy to help where i can Leon.
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

Re: Aqua blue pearl (auto) VR - auto to manual commenced

cracked on with stripping the front end down, assembling the bits on the gearbox. Cleaned and painted the starter motor, lubed it up and fitted. Picked up a slave cylider from GSF this afternoon. Fitted the clutch release bearing and slotted the arm into the gearbox housing.
    Struggled to get the exhaust downpipe nuts off - i'll copper grease them on reassembly. Just for anyone doing the auto to manual, remove the engine plastics and exhaust heat shield to get access to the downpipe bolts. Zaks help yesterday on undoing the pedal box nuts was invaluable. Most of the pipes now removed, rad has been flushed out - contained a fiar amount of red crap even after a flush carried out recently. Strange..
    Unfortunately it looks like one of the inner CV joint boots has got a rip in it, so thats another additional task to do
    Passenger side driveshaft flange to be opened as well as some of the coolant pipes to the dash. I'm not using an engine crane this time as the last time we hired it, it was more of a hindrance. Zak i'll try your solution of dropping the engine down onto the trolley and wheeling it out from the front.
    Tomorrow i'll hopefully have the engine out. The gearshift mech needs some major refurb, which i really should have done first. By the way, can you use two heat shields in the exhaust tunnel, ie will they fit and if they do will they cause any issues? I'm trying to reduce the amount of heat in the cabin.
    Some pics:
    The spals do not fit absolutely centrally in the frame - cant afford crazydaves frame right now, but would love them at anothe stage as a better fitment option.

[attachment=7:3jbvzje2]09082009416.jpg[/attachment:3jbvzje2]
    Hasan

my car

Re: Aqua blue pearl auto VR - auto to manual conversion progress

stripped down the gear selector tower, degreased, cleaned and regreased. Actually i oiled it, greased it up and then sprayed some white grease on the top and on the springs.

Just one shot of the inside of the tower - i took the base plate off to get proper access to it. Good i had a spare tower too as the other one i had was not so good! Oiled teh shift cables too by gradually dripping oil down the front boots. Just need some clips to clip the clevis to the gearbox and some bolts to fit the bracket to the top of the gearbox, hopefully VW will oblige...
    Hasan

my car

CF-oholic!

looking good mate,remember to take off the clutch slave cylinder when fitting the box as it will be an arse to push back when you try to fit the box on.

good progress tho!
    James

Now Audi Quattro B6 Avant with S4 B5 2.7 bi turbo swap,only one in the UK
    My old Corrado VR6 Turbo... Click me for the build DIY style!

thanks for that, will do! Btw, what kind of grease should i use for the clutch release bearing? High temp or anything special? Just worried about grease contacting the clutch face.
    Hasan

my car

CF-oholic!

i just use normal grease, just a thin film of it on the sleeve and release bearing contacts will do....there is probably special VW grease out there somewhere....
    James

Now Audi Quattro B6 Avant with S4 B5 2.7 bi turbo swap,only one in the UK
    My old Corrado VR6 Turbo... Click me for the build DIY style!

firstly, a HUGE thanks to Zak for his assistance, help and general activity yesterday. Auto is off and manual gearbox is on or shpould that be for me, the lover of an auto corrado! I'll post some pics later today, but there is still a little way to go - as usual i'm a few bolts short for the front mount and a few others, plus the CV boot needs to be changed. Anyway, it will be nice and fresh when its all done.
    Hasan

my car

som pics of developments. didnt progress today as far as i would have liked - is there any way to remove the cat heatshileding without removing the downpipe?

Pedal box finally fitted and brake servo reinstalled - one of THE most difficult jobs on it so far. The servo does not want ot go back intoplace because there are two bolts on teh suspension turret which push against one of te upper pipes (sheathed in black) which you just cant see. Not sure what they're for, but if i were to do it again, i'd grind them off. also, my origianl holes for the clutch master servo did not line up si i had to grind the holes to the right size after fitting the pedal box. Hammerited - looks a right mess!
    Hasan

my car