Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Headlight switch and loom fires.....DIY prevention

Re: Headlight switch and loom fires.....DIY prevention

I need to do this
    Green Storm - New project

Quote Originally Posted by Wullie
    You know that is such a sensible mod I'm surprised that no one has ever done it before. Well done my man.
    they did in 2005 ! and its a locked thread
    viewtopic.php?f=19&t=31462

just went out to do mine and its already done...
    does look as tho some one in the past may have had this happen, a few repairs to other wires near by
    G60-1991-Alpine White-JMR Stage 4 charger-JMR Big Valve Head-Schrick 268/276 Cam-forged 83mm pistons-forged conrods-lightened and balanced bottom end-Wagner I.C-Oil cooler-Smoothed bay
    link to build thread http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...TE-G60-UPDATED

Quote Originally Posted by dragon green
    Quote Originally Posted by Wullie
    You know that is such a sensible mod I'm surprised that no one has ever done it before. Well done my man.
    they did in 2005 ! and its a locked thread
    viewtopic.php?f=19&t=31462
    BBC repeats !

The fuse may protect but the root cause is two fold.

1. The VW switches can be made with a short built in due to poor soldering thus the additional fuse it protects against a short. So it always worth a check before fitting the switch. The pre-fit check is between pin 31 and all other pins in all switch positions! as below

This because the manuafacturing solder fault bridges pin 31 (earth) and with the battery 12 volts direct and it's unfused. Hence why the fuse in the earth wire is fitted.

Checking a replacement headlight switch before fitting

With a meter on resistance setting, place one of the meter probes on the pin marked 31. Now in all three switch positions (off – sidelights – headlight), go round ALL the other pins. All should be open circuit with one exception relative to pin 31. If the switch has the original filament small bulbs fitted then pin 31 to pin X will show 16 ohms +/-3 ohms (unless it’s blown). If LEDs have been fitted, then on the ordinary Ohm settings on the meter (not diode test), it should be open circuit. If no direct short is detected in the any of the above tests, the headlight switch is safe to fit to the headlight loom in the dash.

[attachment=4:z8kf625g]VW Corrado Light Switch Internal Illumination Schematic.jpg[/attachment:z8kf625g]

2. The headlight switch is damaged by heat from the two internal lamps which results in mechanical failure and possible short electrically.

Heres the switch with lamps fitted which generate a fair amount of heat............

[attachment=3:z8kf625g]Switch with Exisitng Lamps.jpg[/attachment:z8kf625g]

This is the damage caused, the plactic lever plastic becomes brittle and breaks off as well as the light lens being distorted and burned.........

[attachment=2:z8kf625g]Heat damaged Headlight Switch.jpg[/attachment:z8kf625g]

The solution is to fit two bright green LEDs & resistors.............

[attachment=1:z8kf625g]LEDs and resistors in situ in Headlight Switch.jpg[/attachment:z8kf625g]

The end solution looks like this....................

[attachment=0:z8kf625g]LED modifiied Headlight Switch installed.jpg[/attachment:z8kf625g]

If a short now occurs with the switch and the additional fuse fitted, the indication is that the ignition illumination of the switch does not illuminate (assuming its not just the small green bulb that has failed).

CCGB #260

95 Black Magic VR6 The Obsession and my life saver.

89 Nugget Yellow 1.8 16v The long term project SOLD https://www.facebook.com/paul.kippax...=1&pnref=story

94 Sherry Pearl 8v Daily

And Bicycle Repair Man at http://www.langsettcycles.co.uk/

CF-oholic!

Simple yet effective. I will be doing this mod.
    Gaz

'93 VR6 Bordeaux pearl- Recon VR engine -16/01/08; KW V1s; BMC CDA; Milltek Sports CAT; Supersprint exhaust; 16" Cades Eros; smoked rears & side reps - SOLD 14/07/2013 Gone but not forgotten.

"We can't stop here this is bat country"

Enthusiast

….Iam now a bit worried after reading this post . My headlight switch is a bit skewered in opertation in the side light position and also I have noticed that the round symbol doesn’t illuminate either. It only illuminates at the headlight position.

I take it the switch could be in danger of shorting due to mechanical failure.

…Shall I disconnect the battery and take the switch out for inspection or disconnect the battery permanently and try and source a replacement headlight switch and get a led bulb and resistor on it ASAP?????

CF-oholic!

Thats odd... i think we've had this discussion before about the switch is only supposed to illuminate when on side lights, as the logic is that if you have the headlights on you should be able to tell cos its dark enough so no need to highlight the switch as being on headlights.

Could be a possible fault. I suppose if in doubt get it sorted. Also it would definately worth doing the fuse mod above.

I guess others will advise too.
    Gaz

'93 VR6 Bordeaux pearl- Recon VR engine -16/01/08; KW V1s; BMC CDA; Milltek Sports CAT; Supersprint exhaust; 16" Cades Eros; smoked rears & side reps - SOLD 14/07/2013 Gone but not forgotten.

"We can't stop here this is bat country"

Enthusiast

My headlight switch is a bit skewered in opertation in the side light position and also I have noticed that the round symbol doesn’t illuminate either. It only illuminates at the headlight position.
    I will have to double check again when I get home this weekend

Another headlight switch question by RW1 » 23.11.2005, 17:41

However, when I press it again on to dipped beam, the outer ring goes off. I thought it may be a dodgy contact, but when I turn the ignition off (the lights go to sidelight automatically) the ring illuminates again
    Logic is correct as the ring is a sidelights only ON warning ring indication. So with/without ignition on in the sidelight position you get the ring. On headlights, it works only when ignition is knocked off, ignition off, knocks off the headlights, so the sidelights only warning ring comes on illuminates. Clever little diode buried deep inside the switch.

The Lamp symbol is always on when the ignition is on no matter whether the lights are on or not. Switch locator illumination.

Its in the owners handbook. :wink: