Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Headlight switch and loom fires.....DIY prevention

Re: Headlight switch and loom fires.....DIY prevention

Quote Originally Posted by dragon green
    Quote Originally Posted by Wullie
    You know that is such a sensible mod I'm surprised that no one has ever done it before. Well done my man.
    they did in 2005 ! and its a locked thread
    viewtopic.php?f=19&t=31462
    I'm not that old!! And anyway, didn't discover the best Corrado forum till recently
    Alpine White 1990 1.8 16v gone to a new home.

Current mode of transport 2001 Megane Cabrio, apologies.

The older I get the more I recall how little I knew when I knew it all.

Guys, cheers for posting this up as I have been meaning to do this for a while... will make this a Sticky

Few questions - I did this mod a few years ago on both cars and like Henny used a blade holder and I'm fairly sure I fitted a 3 or 5 amp fuse...

Is this fuse rating low enough?? I think the lowest blade you can get is a 1 amp but I will go to Maplins at lunch and have a look...

I think I will also go down the LED route too as my headlight switch is getting noticably hotter since removing the Trimsport loom I was using.

Another thing I'd say is use a good quality fuse - I recently had a dead short on one of the centre console lighting wires and nearly set the car on fire - when I looked in the fuse box I found the 15A fuse had just melted the casing so looked bigger than the other ones but still had continuity! Fitted a VW one in there are re-shorted the wire whist repairing and it blew straight away as it should.

I'm fairly sure the above fuse came out of a box of 'Rolson' ones I had bought a few years ago (these are sold in Halfords / Maplins etc) so won't be using these anymore!

Anyone got the LED part numbers?? Probably best to fit 12V ones with the resister built in - Maplin also do these in various colours.

...:::Supercharged:::...

1.8 G60 & 1.9 TDI

Please help the forum stay alive!
    Want to help monthly? Why not

Just get the standard 3mm 12V led's from Maplins mate. Most of the switches are 12v (apart from the window switches) and the headlight one definately is.
    Black '92 G60, G-Werks 1.9L conversion, G-werks charger, live remap, Golf G60 FMIC, ported and flowed big valve head and manifold, etc etc....

Grateful thanks to the electrical wizards (pleeze to make sure you keep zose droopy sleeves out of way, yes?) :wink:

Clever diodes in switch - sure - but plastic is made of dried snot from Westphalian cows.

Quote Originally Posted by JMC
    Just get the standard 3mm 12V led's from Maplins mate. Most of the switches are 12v (apart from the window switches) and the headlight one definately is.
    Too dim, tried that type first, miles dimmer than the standard little green bulbs. Tried Maplin's 3 volt ones, again at the time not bright enough. Needs a pair of bright LEDS. LEDs were green from maplin, part number N30BY http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=45930

End up with a metal film resistors from RS Spares part number 144-295, 2.7K ohm, Metal Film 0.125w.
    Now superceded http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... &x=29&y=15
    (You need this physical size to get the resistors in without fouling the mechanics.) Maplin at the time didn't offer 0.125w resistors. And note the two small insulating sleeves in the photo on page 1 of my postings.

The LED lens for the ring illumination need "damping" or it looks unbalanced so I painted a black blob of touch-up paint on the crown of the lens. This is the LED furthest from the dimmer control. Don't bother with paint on the other as it not as transparent and it needs the direct beam of the LED onto it.

The fuse I used was a 1 amp standard blade fuse like the Corrado's type. Dave's 200 mA fuse will work just as well. I tested the 1 amp fuse on a length of same wire across a battery's terminals direct. Fuse blew, wire - no damaged found, it was instant.

My switch operates a BRMotorsport headlight loom. It is always stone cold.

Sticky? Get ur finger out! Should have been done in 2005
    This topic has it all in one spot now for the headlight switch problems.
    No excuses now!!!

Hi Chris - well that 2005 thread was actually stickied and I will leave it for now like that.

...:::Supercharged:::...

1.8 G60 & 1.9 TDI

Please help the forum stay alive!
    Want to help monthly? Why not

Hi Steve,

This one would be better now to sticky as it pulls in all the info and the other is referenced by Dave's first posting.

Just add this one, don't I think there's anything else lying around???
    viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19701

what a thread, will be doing this very soon on the VRT
    1995 MOONLIGHT BLUE VR6 TURBO

This sounds a little like the old Ford V6 in Scimitar self combusting scenario caused by interference fit petrol feed pipe in carb casting working loose, filling the Vee with fuel and woosh! Standard solution - refit using Araldite.

Say Dave - does this apply to the later switches also?
    '95VR C fun:V9 Stg1/Schrick/Evothermspacer/263s/6 branch 2.5" catless/Aquamist/Milltek/Quaife/Mocal/Eibach's/KoniTA's/H&R/312Tarox 6/Konigs/Italvolanti/17"BBS CV's
    '02V6 4M Bora:daily
    '95Classic Storm:9 happy yrs:to VAG-hag aka my lad

Quote Originally Posted by RW1
    Quote Originally Posted by JMC
    Too dim, tried that type first, miles dimmer than the standard little green bulbs. Tried Maplin's 3 volt ones, again at the time not bright enough. Needs a pair of bright LEDS. LEDs were green from maplin, part number N30BY http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=45930

End up with a metal film resistors from RS Spares part number 144-295, 2.7K ohm, Metal Film 0.125w.
    Now superceded http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... &x=29&y=15
    (You need this physical size to get the resistors in without fouling the mechanics.) Maplin at the time didn't offer 0.125w resistors. And note the two small insulating sleeves in the photo on page 1 of my postings.

The LED lens for the ring illumination need "damping" or it looks unbalanced so I painted a black blob of touch-up paint on the crown of the lens. This is the LED furthest from the dimmer control. Don't bother with paint on the other as it not as transparent and it needs the direct beam of the LED onto it.

The fuse I used was a 1 amp standard blade fuse like the Corrado's type. Dave's 200 mA fuse will work just as well. I tested the 1 amp fuse on a length of same wire across a battery's terminals direct. Fuse blew, wire - no damaged found, it was instant.

My switch operates a BRMotorsport headlight loom. It is always stone cold.

This topic has it all in one spot now for the headlight switch problems.
    No excuses now!!!

Strange, never had a problem with them for the early headlight switches (and I've done loads of them). Had to take the existing green filter in the switch out though, and with the late headlight ones it pays to dremel down the opaque plastic below the icon as that could be causing it to look dim. Also the led's are very critical on alignment - a few degrees off and they look dim. If you can be bothered to you can get 120 degree dispersed ones, but they are normall low voltage and need resistors.
    Black '92 G60, G-Werks 1.9L conversion, G-werks charger, live remap, Golf G60 FMIC, ported and flowed big valve head and manifold, etc etc....