Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: oneohtwo's VR6 - New Engine!

Quote Originally Posted by oneohtwo View Post
    Right, engine is back from Stealth and on the stand:

Bores rebored and honed, with oversized Mahle pistons, and new bearings. And block cleaned and smartened up with new paint job. Just hammerite black, but it actually looks a bit gun-metal grey which I quite like, rather than a full gloss black.

Head also back and smartened up:

Had another reskim, the areas of pitting will remain isolated. Had a full rebuild, valves cleaned up and re-seated, guides re-done.

Plus a few bits which I've been cleaning up ready to go back on:

Still plenty to go! Major items still to get replaced/reconditioned are:

- alternator to be refurbed
    - new starter
    - injectors refurbed.

But these won't be needed for a while.

Otherwise all pretty well ready to go back together. Going on holiday for 2 weeks though, so unfortunately will have to wait a while to get going on it!
    Good stuff mate did they get bored out to 3 liters . Surely that should increase bhp from stock figures by a little.

Enthusiast
    Looking good! any performance bits going on at the same time?

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fla View Post
    just fantastic! The only thing will be having to watch the right foot as you run your new engine in...

Thanks! Yeah I know... I don't do big miles in it these days so the run in period might be quite drawn out! Have to plan a few long cruises...

From memory, I'm sure Vince said they are bored out to a true 2.9l rather than 3.0l, but I'm not hundred percent sure now. The stock size is 2860cc I think, and the boring for the 82.5mm pistons takes it to either 289Xcc or just over 2.9l, so 29XXcc. I'll have to check with Vince again. You'd think I'd remember that, but the memory doesn't appear to be what it used to be.

Got some 263 cams lined up, and the vibratechnics front mount! No other performance parts to go on. I have looked around, and from what I've read and speaking to Vince, I'm not sure there really are any others, apart from maybe a BMC air filter, that will bolt straight on to the NA engine and make much difference performance wise.

Edit: Yep, just done the sums. Stock is 82mm x 90.3mm stroke or thereabouts which gives 2861cc. Bored to 82.5mm gives 2896cc. So more a true 2.9l
    Last edited by oneohtwo; 19th November 2019 at 3:38 PM.
    '9 4 A q u a B l u e V R 6

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    Quote Originally Posted by oneohtwo View Post
    Thanks! Yeah I know... I don't do big miles in it these days so the run in period might be quite drawn out! Have to plan a few long cruises...

From memory, I'm sure Vince said they are bored out to a true 2.9l rather than 3.0l, but I'm not hundred percent sure now. The stock size is 2860cc I think, and the boring for the 82.5mm pistons takes it to either 289Xcc or just over 2.9l, so 29XXcc. I'll have to check with Vince again. You'd think I'd remember that, but the memory doesn't appear to be what it used to be.

Got some 263 cams lined up, and the vibratechnics front mount! No other performance parts to go on. I have looked around, and from what I've read and speaking to Vince, I'm not sure there really are any others, apart from maybe a BMC air filter, that will bolt straight on to the NA engine and make much difference performance wise.
    I had 263's dropped in during my head rebuild & also went for the BMC - with a Vince remap & a good free flowing exhaust id guesstimate you would end up around the 220-225 mark

FYI the BMC sounds awesome!!
    Bramber metallic VR6 bring on the grins as the VR sings!!!!
    Stealth head rebuild, 263's, BMC CDA, Roose M/Sport hoses, VT engine mount, KW V1s
    KUR2Y loom, daves16v short shifter, 2.5" Longlife SS exhaust with sport cat, lots of shiny bolts & 210bhp
    Alpine White 1.8 16v, Kamei skirts, Powerflow SS exhaust, back on my drive April 2014

Quote Originally Posted by g0ldf1ng3r View Post
    I had 263's dropped in during my head rebuild & also went for the BMC - with a Vince remap & a good free flowing exhaust id guesstimate you would end up around the 220-225 mark

FYI the BMC sounds awesome!!
    Me to (263s, Vince re-map + exhaust) and rolling roaded at 220bhp.

Highly recommended. I remember the 263s giving a lot more mid range oomph but it feels normal now!
    1995 White VR6 CCGB Member 4303
    263 Cams & head refurb | 220 BHP Stealth remap| Miltek non res | Bilstein B12 | R32 Wishbone bushes | VT Mount

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Damn that all looks good.Geeba might do a bit more with his gorgeous engine now
    Sooo jealous, well done mate, big commitment and awesome
    Cress
    95 VR6
    One day she will drive out of my Garage

Regular
    Thanks all! Been a bit inactive due to the Christmas period, but back to it now. Lower chains are on!:

However, the million dollar question is, does anyone know what this little grub screw is from?!

I've bagged and labelled every damn screw except this one apparently! I distinctly remember carefully taking it out as well, and then must have put it on the side to continue taking apart whatever it was I was removing at that time before forgetting about it. Now for the life of me I can't remember; I am hoping it presents itself as obvious when the time comes but would be great if anyone has any ideas!