Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: oneohtwo's VR6 - New Wheels!

Some epic perseverance there and car looking lovely. Aqua Blue a sensational colour
    94 16v Classic Green M447BLE, 95 VR6 Aqua Blue N585BUA, 95 VR6 Storm Mystic Blue M200DAN, 94 VR6 Classic Green M159LYF, 96 VR6 Moonlight Blue N866XSX, 94 VR6 Classic Green M803 XMB, 95 VR6 Storm Classic Green M964XSX, 94 VR6 Aqua Blue M420BOY, 95 VR6 Blackberry N320MRN, 95 VR6 Storm Classic Green N804FLM, 95 VR6 Storm Classic Green N479WAN

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by culshaw View Post
    Looks good now though!

What's the name of the second body shop? I'm not too far from you (SE6) and I've got a lovely chip out of my wing that needs doing..
    Thanks! Nothing worse than faded plastics for spoiling the look, don't think I'll go gloss for the front grill though.

Was Oval Garage, just around the corner from, er... The Oval. Seemed alright, quite a small outfit but were recommended by the vinyl wrapper. Were enthusiastic and turned it around quickly, not sure how they'd do with body panels.

I've also been to a place over Charlton way to repair the sill. They didn't get the curves quite right it's quite a tricky shape and I don't think they looked at the other side and just did it by eye, which is a little annoying, but the paint finish was very good.
    '9 4 A q u a B l u e V R 6

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLZEEBUB View Post
    Some epic perseverance there and car looking lovely. Aqua Blue a sensational colour
    Cheers matey! It's an odd colour I find... looks fairly dull and uninteresting when it's overcast and shows the dust easily, but as soon as it's wet or the sun comes out it comes to life.

Regular
    Just updating a bit. Sorted out the leather last summer:

Was horrible worn and scuffed, not to mention dirty. Was really letting the care down. Got to work on it with the liquid leather cleaners and dye. Worked brilliantly, happily recommend that stuff:

Regular
    Bonus picture of the car looking shiny:

Regular
    So this is what happens when someone doesn't check their blind spot and just pulls out on you on the dual carriageway:

Could have been a lot worse I guess, but means the wing needs respraying. The stuff on the wheel I think is just rubber from their wheel, or black plastic from some trim. It seems to come off a bit when scratched and the wheel underneath seems fine so that's something. Have tried the usual car shampoos but can't really get it off. Anyone have any ideas?

Bummer. I'd definately get the steering geometry checked just in case something has been bent . Hope you got the other driver's details .

Regular
    Sadly not, it was at night and was a busy section of dual carriageway. When I got a chance to pull over they didn't, and I didn't get the number.

Yeah, you might be right. It feels ok, and it was a relatively small coming together thankfully. They just drifted across and I managed to take some evasive action, plus as we were going in the same direction at roughly the same speed. Such a pain though! Just another thing to sort...

Great thread!

Regular
    Thought I could hear the timing chains sounding a bit rough, and yep sure enough it seems I've caught the timing tensioner just in time:

A bit longer and that could have been game over... So time for the new tensioner, and I guess I should do the chains as well, which is a big old job.

Whilst I'm there I think I'll look to do a couple of other bits as well as refresh the engine bay and smarten it up. Initially I'm thinking:

New (or cleaned) injectors
    Autotech 262 cams (remap after perhaps)
    Replace crack pipe and thermostat (had these bits from a few years back anyway)

And then fit the 288 brakes I've got hanging around, plus get the Bilstein B12s I've been hankering after for ages as will need to get the drive train off. Lots to do! If that all goes smoothly I think I'll look at the OBD2 conversion, if I can source the parts.

I'm just considering whether it is worthwhile taking the 'head off while I am here just to have a general look at things. If the cylinders are a bit knackered then it doesn't seem a lot of point doing the rest....