Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tyre Discussion Thread - please read 1st post

Re: The Tyre Discussion Thread

I've got rainsport 2s on the front, and 1s on the back of the VR. The tread is similar, but generally the tread is closer together than the 1s. I'll try to get some pictures. It's really wet tonight, and they feel pretty good. Didn't push the car too hard as that would be very silly in these conditions, but they felt nice and solid. I've got a rear ARB, which might assist with the cornering in the wet, but I've had no hint of understeer yet...

I've just had some vredestein sportrac 3 put on my rado

HAd a set on when i brought it so was cheaper over all, £50 each insted of £62

Seam good so far
    Corrado VR6 No:3

Regular

hi kev
    try some hankook ventus v12! superb tyre at a great price! search for reviews on tinternet if your unsure! thought id recommend them after you recommended the old ku15 to me! again a superb tyre sadly missed! been trying to find a suitable replacement ever since they stopped making it (along with the old favourite re720!!)
    andy

Quote Originally Posted by aki
    hi kev
    try some hankook ventus v12! superb tyre at a great price! search for reviews on tinternet if your unsure! thought id recommend them after you recommended the old ku15 to me! again a superb tyre sadly missed! been trying to find a suitable replacement ever since they stopped making it (along with the old favourite re720!!)
    andy
    Hi mate

Yeah the KU15 was a comedy tyre with it's massive tread blocks, really good dry grip

I can recommend the Bridgestone RE050 as a good RE720 replacement. They feel very similar in that hard sidewalled Bridgee way. Wet or dry, they feel the same and let go very progressively.

I'm still undecided on what to get I'm leaning towards the Rainsport 2 at the moment, if I can find a mobile fitter who stocks it!
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆

My lm reps have 205/40 yoko parada s tyres on and they're **** beyon belief in the wet while managing to only be decent in the dry. My 195/40 dunlop sp9000's i had before were SOOO much better. Id recommend them to anyone!

Enthusiast

well i got the kumho ku31's on today and well i have to say they arnt too bad so far quite a positive feel
    no were near the gripp of the r888's but i knew that and they are nice and quite which is nice as r888 humm like a bugger

I have just fitted 4 kuhmo ecsta sport ku31`s to my car, and they are a superb tyre for the money they are, especially when they have been recieving better reviews than Dunlops

even pushing them when they are new they dont squeel or try to break away, fine in the wet too so far cant fault them as yet, they also have a nice low side wall that sits nice and square even with a little bit of stretch on a 9j rim

Camskill, £52 english pounds per corner for 215 40 16`s cant argue with that price

Here's the difference in the tread pattern of Rainsport 1 and 2s...

So then, tyres. I put more research into them this year as I'm trying to economise a bit (hard for me!) and I settled on the Hankook V12 Evo due to good reviews and a personal recommendation.

I had to buy 4 tyres, two 40/17s for mine, and two 45/16s for the missus's Polo, but there was only one 17" at the supplier at the time of ordering. Great

The tyre bloke said that this is the problem with Hankook. Very good tyres, one of the largest tyre makers in the world, but just not known / popular over here and supplies are patchy. So Hankook were binned off cause if I ever get a puncture, replacement could be time consuming. Shame, I was looking forward to trying them

The tyre man offered me four Kumho KU31s instead as they're on promotion, for £250 all in. My 17s were only £60 each all in, fitted and balanced. Less than half the price of the Contisport 2/3 I usually go for!! You guys recommended them and with christmas / car insurance renewal / MOT coming up, I thought why not, let's give the budget tyres a whirl and shun the over priced premium brands!!

So, on the Polo GTI then, yeah they work reasonably well for the way my missus drives (i.e. not very quickly) but initial impression is they're not as good as the conti sport2s they replaced, which we got 32,000 miles out of!! I'm hoping more miles and the Polo's more forgiving chassis will show some improvements from them.

On my Corrado then, I'm a little dissapointed after 200 miles bedding in tbh.
    There's nothing drastically wrong with them, grip is good and there's no nasty surprises. It's just the turn-in, it's soggy as fook and there's practically no feel at all, to the point of spoiling the crisp steering I spent a lot of effort engineering into my car . My 2 year old shagged conti 3s with completely bald shoulders felt better than these With 200 miles under their belts, I can't see them getting any better tbh. This is confusing because the Kumhos have a stiffer sidewall than the Contis. Bizarre.

I was totally expecting polarised views on them because the Polo is a factory standard car and will work well with any tyre (except ling longs, or something equally pants) but the Rado's state of tune requires a MUCH better tyre to work at it's best and I should have trusted my instincts.

Oh well. When these are bald, my usual Bridgestones or Contis will be going back on and my advice for what it's worth, if you value turn-in and sharp steering, is to take internet reviews with a pinch of salt and avoid Kumhos. The KU31 is a budget tyre with budget performance, end of!
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

Enthusiast

interesting points there kev but do you think the fact that your now using a harder compound tyre in colder weather will somewot effect your findings
    i think perhaps if you had the kumho's put on the the slightly warmer weather i think you may have been a little happier.
    and as far as running in the wet with them i thought they were quite good (i have had a lot worse) and quite predictable as long as they were not pushed past their limit but this would be the same for most tyres in the wet