Page 26 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: The Baconator's latest victim

Time for an update whilst I'm online and the beers are flowing

The car has been like this March.

Not because I fancied using the engine space for some pot plants, but because I had some detonation problems. I still haven't found out what caused it, everything checks out fine, but just to be sure I'm going to dump the current tank of fuel and put some fresh stuff in before it runs next.

Unfortunately the det caused piston 5 to let go......

..... which spat itself through the turbo, slightly clipping the turbine blades. It still boosts fine, but I'll send it off to CR turbos for repair as it's not balanced in that state.

The block is still perfect after 60K miles, no wear lip at all and no barrelling. Good old Silkolene A new Wossner piston costs £99 and that's all it needs to be perfect again, which the new owner of the engine is going to do.

So what's next?

In the meantime, I'm going for high power n'asp 24V as I had a spare AUE lump (4Motion) sitting in the garage.

Haven't decided on the final spec yet, but I'm aiming for top end. Lightweight valve gear, cams etc etc. Aiming for 100hp/litre, 300 at a push with an 8000rpm limit and a short runner, but nothing's finalised yet.

All I've done to that so far is paint it! The Schimmel 9lb flywheel and Helix clutch will be going on as boost is bound to happen in the future!

And United Motorsport (formally C2) made this superb downpipe for me. 2" primarys and 3" collector for some proper high rpm flow. Sweet

I will be sticking with my standalone and to that end I have installed a DBW controller for the 24V's electronic throttle into the Glovebox.

4Motion DBW pedal installed too.

I tested the DBW on the old engine and it worked brilliantly. It gives the bottom end a welcome kick up the bum, something the 12V needs!

Much neater with no throttle cable coming out of the bulkhead

Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

Administrator
    Interesting progress as ever Kev.. can't wait to see this progress

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | 1999 BMW E39 523i SE (with Sport Pack) Saloon (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

Blog Entries
    ^ Same here, will be interesting to see how much hp you can get NA! Did you just bolt the 4 mo pedal to the side of the pedal box bracket? Thats what I did, works well and simples. Nice downpipe and well made, can't help thinking it goes into one a bit to soon though.
    3.2 Storm.

My 3.2 Storm build thread...[http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...terior-photos]

nice down pipe, and oh yeh get yourself a spare pedal mate, my brothers old 4 motion went through two in about 3 months as they both snapped where the plastic meets the metal.
    need another corrado in my life, much less hassle than a woman.

Enthusiast
    Sorry to hear of your det problems with the DTA, Kev. Funny that that's exactly what happened to mine. My no.4 piston looked exactly like your no.5. At least your block is reusable and will live to fight another day. I suppose I was fortunate that there was no damage to my turbo. Will be interested to see how you get on with the 24v lump in NA form. You should catch up with John Munyard (corozin) on here who has some experience of trying the high power NA route, albeit with the 12v. Best of luck.
    Corrado VR6 Turbo - respray on the way!
    Mk3 VR6 on TH 1780s - Daily
    B5 Audi S4 - RS4 spec. Missed!
    ccgb #1665
    http://www.thephirm.co.uk

Cheers chaps. I've changed my mind and decided to stick the turbo lump back in No matter how much power I could get out of a NA 24V, I just know it won't be enough for me, so I'd rather put the investment into turbos instead!

Cheers Charlie. Unfortunately the 12V doesn't lend itself well to n'asp tuning and I'm aware of the flow brickwall Mr Munyard ran into. Having said that, although the 24V's head flows more than the 12V's, it's still not spectacular by modern 4 valve standards.

Kip, yeah sort of, plus a bit of chopping and shaping RE the downpipe, the primaries merge into the collector at roughly the same place the 12V pipes do and it's been designed to bolt onto an existing 12V Cat to be as plug n play as possible, but it's all academical now. I'll bolt the 24V back together and stick it in storage again, awaiting the next 12V outage

Haven't done a lot on it lately, but decided to get the 24V built up and out of the way today.

Timing up a 24V bottom end is exactly the same as a 12V.

TDC on No.1 cylinder. Notch in the crank pulley aligns with a rib on the front crank seal housing.....

Crank sprocket has a ground tooth which aligns with the rear main bearing cap....

Same lower tensioner and chains.....

And the intermediate shaft position. The arrow aligns with a notch in the block....

And remember guys, the intermediate shaft only aligns correctly once every 4 turns of the crank. A very common mistake people make with VR6 timing

Block is great after 135K. Bores are a little polished but nothing out of the ordinary.

24V blocks and heads clean up a LOT better than 12V ones do...

Negligable valve stem wear. Valves and valve seats look A1. Living proof that VAG's 20K oil services aren't as bad as people think.

ARP rod bolts thrown in....

ARP head bolts popped in and head torqued up. C2 downpipes offered up and they are spot on. Really happy with those.

Schimmel 264 cams arriving on Monday and I also need to replace the intermediate pulley as they're a weak spot on the 24V, but it's back ordered.

I'll go through cam fitment and timing in the next instalment

Administrator
    Cool - nice update Kev Never get bored of reading this build threads!

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | 1999 BMW E39 523i SE (with Sport Pack) Saloon (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

coming along nicely Kev, still deciding wether to stay 12v or get a 2.8 24v and get Graham to get it running properly.
    need another corrado in my life, much less hassle than a woman.

wish i had these skills, looks great, must be satisfying
    Just like a golf................But better!!!