Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The definitive 'Late Corrado Heater Controls' thread

I have the exact same issue.
    New cables didn't solve it for me.

I suspect its the heater box becoming stiff.
    GETTING MY G60 TO BEHAVE IS LIKE GETTING A ROCKING HORSE TO POOP

My flaps (excuse the pun) all move with ease with the cables disconnected. It's really weird.

The cables also move easily also when disconnected from everything.
    1994 Black Corrado VR6
    The VR6 Owners Club

Build in progress...
    OBD2 | KW1 Coilovers | Speedlines | BMC CDA | Samcos | Goodridge Brake Hoses | 288mm Brakes | Ceramic coated Raceland exhaust manifold | SP263 Cams | 3.68 Final Drive conversion

Fixed! After replacing the far left gear as it broke with a spare one I had.

Once it all went back together the nob didn't go all the way to the window position, looking at the mechanism, the lever was hitting the plastic before the flap actually closed / open. What I had noticed is that the gear the big gear on the lever the Bowden cable attached too had jumped 3 teeth, which when trying to move the knob more than it was able to travel actually broke the weakest point, the gear in the controls.

Using a screw driver to lever the gear on the heater box was able to jump it 3 teeth so if all now lines up and everything now moves really freely and without effort.

It's worth checking your gears on the heater box to check its not jumped any teeth, this is the one the lower arm in the heater controls connects too on the heater box.
    1994 Black Corrado VR6
    The VR6 Owners Club

Build in progress...
    OBD2 | KW1 Coilovers | Speedlines | BMC CDA | Samcos | Goodridge Brake Hoses | 288mm Brakes | Ceramic coated Raceland exhaust manifold | SP263 Cams | 3.68 Final Drive conversion

hi everyone been away a while.. winter is hear and i need th heater sorting..

so i got no pipes leading from my heater box to my windows, ive got very little heat coming through at all..

What i really want to kno is are all of the corrado heaters so weak like a asthmatic mouse coffing through a straw... or is it my heater motor that has gone.?

i also want to upgrade to the later style controls.. or if anyone can help me i would like to upgrade it to the climatronic system, not worried about fitting aircon... just want a nice strong heater, ill happily run some pipe up behind the dash to dimist the wondows and blow some heat in the cab...

if anyone has done this or can send me a link showing exactly how u can get this done. please let me know.

BULLY

so i got no pipes leading from my heater box to my windows, ive got very little heat coming through at all..

What i really want to kno is are all of the corrado heaters so weak like a asthmatic mouse coffing through a straw... or is it my heater motor that has gone.?

i also want to upgrade to the later style controls.. or if anyone can help me i would like to upgrade it to the climatronic system, not worried about fitting aircon... just want a nice strong heater, ill happily run some pipe up behind the dash to dimist the wondows and blow some heat in the cab...

if anyone has done this or can send me a link showing exactly how u can get this done. please let me know.

BULLY

Hi Rubbadubb, I have just finished my climatronic install and its a much more improved system and I'm so happy about it! I've got photos and will do a write up soon when i get the time. It's not a few hours jobby, full dash out, custom loom/splice into existing, cutting new holes in the firewall, modifying the ducting....I did mine over a couple of weeks but I had another 'rado to use in the mean time haha!

You can, I think, effectively make a 'hybrid' system using the 'rado dials and cable system and the MK4 vane and blower as the control box with the flaps are identical, but don't quote me on whether they'll work together but I would imagine they would. This would solve the loom issue, ducting modifications and might be cheaper...I plan on doing AC next year but you can remove the AC unit from within the heater box and close up the hole, this would mean you wouldn't have to make a large hole in the firewall.

Tony_ack did a good write up. If I get time later this even I will start my write up. It's not for the faint hearted!
    92' Pearl Green 2.0l 16V, SOLD

94' Sherry Pearl VR6, 15" black Speedlines, Bilstein Sport suspension, Milltek cat back, black heated leather, MK4 calipers, MK4 handbrake, MK4 climatronic, OBD2 conversion

hi i cant find the thread... if anyone can post up a link id be most greatful!

BULLY

Quote Originally Posted by rubbadubb View Post

A standard setup working properly has PLENTY of blow, certainly not "asthmatic through straw" ...

If you can hear the fan working on all speeds, the fan's fine.

Next, check the foliage guard in the plenum chamber isn't full of leaves etc. (do these have pollen filters? I forget! - if so, that's where it is, and if blocked, the air flow is reduced)

The next thing is a pig of a job - the flaps inside the heater air distribution box... Easy to do when you get to it, but a dash out job. ... Upshot is they're galvanised steel flaps with big holes punched in them. From the factory, these were covered in foam - the foam breaks down, ejecting itself through the dash vents, leaving big holes in the flaps and low air pressure through the vents, as it's unable to "switch" between hot/cold and the various positions.

As for "upgrading" to later heater controls - they're a MUCH weaker design than the slider type, and have a huge price premium as they're corrado (and B4 passat) specific (mk3 golf/6n polo look the same, but are different!) and prone to breakage. ... We have a mk1 and a mk2 golf, both with excellent slider controls, and a late corrado and B4 passat, both of which have required bodge repairs to get the controls working.

Upshot is that for me, I'd get the standard setup working and leave the slider controls in!

my car heater works on one speed, and the only air i get is seeping through the dashboard gaps and a bit from underneath.

and not threw any of the vents.. i was told i have no ducting transferring the air from the blower fan.

would like to just set up and warm air feed using standard round pipes that i can divert the air threw vents and to windscreen.

BULLY

It's possible that the mountings for the cables have broken on the back of the control panel, meaning that the controls don't even try to move the flaps in the distribution box... I've epoxied and cable tied a couple together in the passat with good results(!)

These diagrams from vagcat should give you an idea of what you have/what's missing!

146000.png

145010.png