Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning and lubing stalks and light switch

Blog Entries

cleaning and lubing stalks and light switch

Thought I'd have a stab at this last night as my stalks were pretty grubby and not particularly smooth, the headlight switch was also sounding a bit rough and plasticy.
    I forgot to take any pics of the stalks apart but it's pretty straight-forward, just remove the 24mm steering wheel nut and the wheel and then the 3 long thin torx headed bolts that hold the stalks to the column.
    You''ll aslo need to remove the steering column shroud plastics to get at the connector blocks to the back of the stalks (3 screws underneath, slightly different places on fixed and adjustable columns).

Have to say they needed a good clean, quite a bit of fluff and dirt in them and they feel so much better now with a bit of fresh silicone grease smeared on the moving parts.

The headlight switch has also improved loads, the repair instructions in the knowledge base give a basic idea on how to take the switch apart, but I've taken a load more shots to show and explain all the bits and where to grease it - see: Photobucket
    I've found removing the switch blank next to the headlight switch first makes it much easier and is less likely to cause damage when removing the headlight switch as you can get pressure on the back of the switch to prise it out.
    [attachment=8:2uv5smm7]P1010808.jpg[/attachment:2uv5smm7]

remove the 'internals' by gently freeing each of the plastic barbs around the back of the switch
    [attachment=7:2uv5smm7]P1010779.jpg[/attachment:2uv5smm7]

the contacts slider block will fall out now as nothing but a bit of grease will be holding it to the internal circuit tracks
    [attachment=6:2uv5smm7]P1010782.jpg[/attachment:2uv5smm7]

clean up the tracks with some very fine wet and dry if they are very corroded

then prise out the switch front from the main case carefully, a small screwdriver pushing between the outer case pivot hole and the switch front leg on one side and it will pop free, you don't need much force at all
    [attachment=5:2uv5smm7]P1010784.jpg[/attachment:2uv5smm7]

I found the round clear 'light pipe'/prism thing that illuminates the front of the switch from the two bulbs was slightly melted by the green bulb, I think this is fairly common, probably due to the bulbs not having been fitted very straight. I also had to use a couple of tiny blobs of silicone sealant to keep the light-pipe ring in place as it seemed loose in the round recess in the switch front that it's supposed to sit in snugly.

[attachment=4:2uv5smm7]P1010795.jpg[/attachment:2uv5smm7]

This pic shows the contact slider block in position and it's direction of movement when you rock the switch front:
    [attachment=3:2uv5smm7]P1010798.jpg[/attachment:2uv5smm7]

this is the little sprung pin that gives the positive 3 positions of the rocker, I put a bit of grease of the end of this as it was bone dry:
    [attachment=2:2uv5smm7]P1010778.jpg[/attachment:2uv5smm7]

if you want to, the dimmer wheel and surround pops out and seems to benefit from a little bit of grease too:
    [attachment=1:2uv5smm7]P1010775.jpg[/attachment:2uv5smm7]
    [attachment=0:2uv5smm7]P1010776.jpg[/attachment:2uv5smm7]

the sliding switch contact, the sprung centre pin for the rocker switch, the legs of the switch front/rocker and the plastic to plastic moving surfaces of the dimmer wheel all got a little silicone grease.

The switch now feels more solid, less cheap-plasticy in operation and feels like it's less likely to break now, definitely worth 20 mins fiddling.
    my 1990 16v thread

Re: cleaning and lubing stalks and light switch

Nice how to i need to do mine feels very plasticky like you said
    Cheers

Out of interest are those LED's 2 different colours ??? I've never understood why when i turn my lights on the half the switch illuminates Orange / Green at the top and Green at the bottom.
    Corrado VR6 - Aqua Blue LC5U - 96 'N' Plate
    Black Leather - Heated Seats - Air Con
    Totally Standard and intend to keep it that way !

Hibernation for Winter ! SORN

keep in mind that the tiny springs that are in the switch are VERY IMPORTANT. I didn't put them in a switch I once dismantled, and it didn't work LoL.

just a thought.

good diy. I wouldn't have broken a light switch if I had had it for reference in the past..
    I love the way my Corrado hates me.
    P.D.http://the-corrado.net/.archive/foru...lies/norty.gif

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by delfinis38
    Out of interest are those LED's 2 different colours ??? I've never understood why when i turn my lights on the half the switch illuminates Orange / Green at the top and Green at the bottom.
    They're actually two small capless bulbs (could be replaced if blown if you are handy with a soldering iron)
    They simply have coloured caps/paint on the top of them, same idea as the ash tray green bulb
    my 1990 16v thread

so one is yellow and the other green then ?

Blog Entries

yeah, one is a sort of grubby colour
    the centre 'light bulb' image on the switch seems white through the plastic but with the green illumination from the bulb behind,
    the 'ring' that lights up on the sidelights setting seems coloured by the plastic inset into the switch cover rather than the bulb, I think the green bulb does the inner bulb symbol and the other bulb the whole outer ring via the light-pipe clear plastic ring thing looking at it again.
    my 1990 16v thread

CF-oholic!

Nice one David, i'll have to give the headlight switch a good greasing last thing i want is the headlight switch breaking considering how hard to come by they're getting.
    Gaz

'93 VR6 Bordeaux pearl- Recon VR engine -16/01/08; KW V1s; BMC CDA; Milltek Sports CAT; Supersprint exhaust; 16" Cades Eros; smoked rears & side reps - SOLD 14/07/2013 Gone but not forgotten.

"We can't stop here this is bat country"

thanks david.... good write up !

Very good - stickied!

...:::Supercharged:::...

1.8 G60 & 1.9 TDI

Please help the forum stay alive!
    Want to help monthly? Why not