Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Ant's VR6 - back on the road

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆

Ant's VR6- Back on the road...ish

Happy day last Friday, 8 months after I first got a quote for the welding, the car passed its MOT!

I've done the painting myself - it's not the best job but conditions weren't the best over the last two weeks. Should be fine until the Spring.

The original exhaust was ready for replacement too, so it's got a stainless Jetex on there now.

I got the car back that night, and straight away started making a list of the things that need fixing...

Biggest issue is the rad fan coming on stage 2 instantly with the ignition, and then running on for 10 minutes after its switched off. The car's not got off the cold map since I got it back, so getting through a lot of fuel... The horn has stopped working as well, interestingly both the fan run on and the horn are on the same plug at the back of the fusebox, with the fusebox having been half-out until last week, I think the probelm might be there.

The deluge of rain yesterday also showed how inadequate the wipers are... it already has TT arms and blades, but the blades need freshening up and the motor is past it. Lots of steaming up inside yesterday too, I'd love to finish the climatronic install (8 years later) and install aircon, but it's pretty far down the list at the moment.

She's also got a 'back on the road' present - a set of recently refurbed Speedlines and nearly new tyres when I get the chance to fit them.

Like every time I've got it back on the road, it needs a few weeks to loosen up and get the niggles fixed, but I'm looking forward to getting it all working again!
    1995 VW Corrado VR6 Classic Green - Koni T/A + H&R springs, BMC CDA, Jetex resonated stainless exhaust, Climatronic, 288mm brakes

Enthusiast
    Great news it's back on the road, congrats

I fitted these wiper blades to my TT arms and despite being a little suspicious of the cheapness, they are excellent

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193045080...m=193045080958

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Jealous of you being back on the road. Well done mate
    Cress
    95 VR6
    One day she will drive out of my Garage

great news that the car passed the mot and you're back on the road. The best Corrado colour combo obvs. Cant remember the last time I saw another one out on the roads
    94 16v Classic Green M447BLE, 95 VR6 Aqua Blue N585BUA, 95 VR6 Storm Mystic Blue M200DAN, 94 VR6 Classic Green M159LYF, 96 VR6 Moonlight Blue N866XSX, 94 VR6 Classic Green M803 XMB, 95 VR6 Storm Classic Green M964XSX, 94 VR6 Aqua Blue M420BOY, 95 VR6 Blackberry N320MRN, 95 VR6 Storm Classic Green N804FLM, 95 VR6 Storm Classic Green N479WAN

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    Quote Originally Posted by Simeon View Post
    Great news it's back on the road, congrats

I fitted these wiper blades to my TT arms and despite being a little suspicious of the cheapness, they are excellent

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193045080...m=193045080958
    Wow that is cheap... I've gone with a bit of vaseline for now, as the blades aren't actually split or particularly worn, just the rubber was really hard, and a new wiper motor is waiting to be fitted, we'll see how that works.
    1995 VW Corrado VR6 Classic Green - Koni T/A + H&R springs, BMC CDA, Jetex resonated stainless exhaust, Climatronic, 288mm brakes

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    So, not had much time to fix the car up due to the young family, but I've got a couple of things done.

I've STILL not had chance to wash it yet though!

The biggest issue is still the radiator fans - this still rumbles on. I've disconnected the fan controller which stops the fans coming on - I'm only doing short journies at the moment, and the gauge hasn't even hit 70, even without the fans (another issue in itself...!). The fans also don't come on if I leave the fan controller plugged in, and disconnect the output to the rad fans, so the fault is definitely before the fan controller.

The fan run on has stopped now, so obviously something has changed.

The o/s rear light fuse had blown - I changed it but then it blew again. It seems okay now that I've disconnected the fan controller though.

I've tried a new yellow sensor in the harness, and no difference
    I've tried a different fan controller (thanks Keyo), but still the same
    I've pulled the related fuses (19, and 13 just in case) but the fans still run, despite the fact they should have no power.

So next I started just pulling fuses out one at a time to see if it was being powered by another circuit. It turns out it is being fed off Fuse 6 (Fresh air fan/AC)

The fresh air blower circuit looks pretty uncomplicated - comes out of a blue 6-pin plug at the back of the fusebox (connector Q). It's more complex for cars with A/C, but mine has neither the A/C relay or the additional A/C fusebox connector (N) for this.

So that's where I'm up to. I have a Climatronic installed and looking back at my build thread (8 years ago!!). I think I powered it off Fuse 6 - at the very least the blower power would have been routed through the climatronic unit. I've taken out the lower dash now, and unplugged both the 17 pin and 12 pin plugs from the climatronic, and the rad fans still come on. That's as far as I've got - next is to unplug the connector out of the fusebox to see whether it stops, and if so, see whether there is a short in the wiring. between the fusebox and climatronic loom.

One success this week is I've managed to get the car onto the recently refurbed Speedlines with nearly new tyres - they look pretty incredible and I'll post some pics soon.

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    I've managed to have a fairly productive couple of weeks.

First, the cooling issue - The fan after-run issue seems to have fixed itself now and only comes on when needed, not every time I switch the ignition off.

Fuse 6 is the fan controller live signal feed on late VRs - it doesn't show in most fuse guides, but it is in the Bentley wiring diagrams if you look carefully. The feed to the fresh air blower splits just after it leaves the fusebox, with the main feed heading into the dash, and a smaller wire heading into the engine bay.

With this in mind, and having replaced the fan controller, the issue has to be in the sensor inputs. The yellow and rad sender didn't make a difference, but the issue stops when the black sender is unplugged, so it must have been stage 3 coming on. I'll probably fit the new brown sender I have in my parts stock as I want to run aircon at some point (I have the 4 pin plug for it too). I just need some time to do a coolant drain and flush. I also want to change the blue temp sender, and the yellow one. The dash gauge reads way out - it doesn't even get to 70 before the fans come on. The oil temp has started working now too - the engine is getting up to temp fine, and the fans seem to be working at the right time (with the exception of stage 3 which is just unplugged for now). The idle is a bit erratic sometimes - it will be fine, then go up to about 800rpm for a bit, so I wonder if the blue sender is worse for wear too.

So, on top of that I've:
    -Replaced the wiper motor
    -Fixed the OSF foglight - the issue was in the connector
    -Refitted the battery jacket which seems to have fixed the clunk at the NSF
    -put some cable ties around the exhaust rear heatshield and rear exhaust mounts, which seems to have fixed the rattles and clunks at the back
    -Traced an oil leak to the low oil presure sender, and replaced that (brown for blue)

Next to tackle are:
    -an ominous issue with the starter, where it won't engage and spin freely sometimes
    -an issue with the alternator - it was a cheap replacement, and the lights will dim when the car goes back to idle - sometimes the battery light will flicker too as the revs come down and the electrics have got a fair bit of load (lights, rear window demister, etc.)

I tried to upload a pic of the car, but it said the file wasn't valid for some reason.
    Last edited by tony_ack; 1 Week Ago at 5:11 PM.

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Sounds like the alternator is turning too slowly, is the pulley larger than the original?

Golf V5 starter is an upgrade for the VR6.

Sometimes its amazing how gremlins disappear after a cars been laid up?
    Last edited by Dox; 1 Week Ago at 7:09 PM.