Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ant's VR6 - back on the road

Quote Originally Posted by tony_ack View Post
    Like most jobs on the Corrado, it could be really easy, but then you're stuck if you come across a seized bolt.
    LOL prety much sums it up, iv owned mine for almost 3weeks and already finding it an absolut pain undoing bolts etc,
    i deffo want to replace my thermostat houseing and my rad does need replaceing as its developed a slight leak just below the top connection, so think i'll just do the lot in one go, wheres the best place to get a rad for these badboys? {vr6} and what kinda price should i be looking to pay? cheers..

Got to admit, the shot with the bumper off it a little scary, but I am glad it went to such a good home!

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    She did fine on the trip to Wales last week - used no oil and water which was good news!

Celebrating her 215000 mile'th birthday

1995 VW Corrado VR6 Classic Green - Koni T/A + H&R springs, BMC CDA, Jetex resonated stainless exhaust, Climatronic, 288mm brakes

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    New rims! Photos to follow...

Otherwise it's been a bad week for the Corrado.

The factory immobiliser started playing up on Wednesday and Thursday, but luckily it was at home so I wasn't left stranded. Finally got a chance to clean the contacts on Friday morning, and all is okay again for now.

Yesterday evening, having now got a deep offest ring spanner for the front top mount nut, and a good hex bit/ratchett to hold the shock in place, I had yet another go (fourth attempt) at undoing the top mount nut. One came loose, but on the other one I ended up destroying the hex 'bolt' on top of the strut (not rounding it off - actually cracking the whole thing). I'm at a loss now as to how to get the damn thing off. I may have to cut off the nut/top of the old strut which isn't ideal. I can't believe how hard these have been tightened on.

And then today the driver's door handle broke - usual problem.

When does it end??
    1995 VW Corrado VR6 Classic Green - Koni T/A + H&R springs, BMC CDA, Jetex resonated stainless exhaust, Climatronic, 288mm brakes

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    It is the internal hex nut - that's the best way of describing it I think!

Dremel now on charge, time to get a new nut from VW :-)

Had one day of trouble-free motoring today at least (well, except for having to reach through the passenger side to open the driver's door, and the intermittent ABS light that's been causing grief for a while)

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    Another week, more problems. I guess it's becoming the norm now.

The door handle repair kit got here on Tuesday, so I fixed the door handle on Wendnesday. It's a little fiddly to manouvere the spring out of the way, but I got there in the end. I did it all without taking the door card off as I didn't fancy wrestling with the weather seal. That said, the weather seal isn't great anyway and I need to do both sides at some point. The biggest danger with the job is damaging the central locking wiring when messing with the clip, but I took it easy and it was fine. The handle now moves nicely (after a good 'grease up') but I'm missing the white plastic clip that keeps the middle of the handle tight on the door. I looked at doing the passenger side, but didn't have the time or inclination to tackle another handle, especially since the mech was still intact, so I just sprayed loads of grease on it, and it now feels a lot better as well.

The car has developed a new problem - it really struggles to start sometimes. I noticed it more this week, and then also noticed that I had been subconciously and habitually starting it with a bit of throttle to make sure it starts okay. It cranks and turns over fine, but struggles to start without a bit of throttle (even then it doesn't always start without a fight). I tried starting today with no throttle, and it just cranked and cranked. I could hear a relay clicking in the fusebox, and I heard some misfires from the exhaust while cranking too, accompanied by the smell of fuel. Occasionaly the relay would click, the starter would stop, and the dash display would go out, before coming back a second or so later. Looks like another one to investigate. The car runs fine once started (hot and cold). I really hope it's something simple like a relay as I don't fancy getting to the injectors under the schrick.

Today was attempt 5 (FIVE!!) at getting the konis and H&Rs on. I tried cutting the top nut off the front suspension, but it was a job too far for my dremmel, and it kept overheating. I decided to try an impact driver (I had been trying to get a new battery for my impact gun for a while but they're impossible to find). A few hefty bangs (and a numb arm) later and the nut was finally loosened!

The hub bolts didn't really give me too much trouble - not sure why VW used 18mm bolts here. I didn't have a 1/2" 18mm socket, so I had to resort to trying a 19mm with the big strong arm - luckily there was more than enough grip and the bolts loosened with zero rounding!

Camber looks to be way out now - I thought about getting it booked in for some alignment, but then I saw a thread about making your own alignment tools, and was intrigued...

Rears were pretty easy too once I'd worked out the best jacking/axle stand combo (support car on axle stands, use jack on axle to push new struts through the turrets). Bottom bolts came off nice as I did the bump stops a few months ago, and top mount came out nicely as well. I noticed that I had put one of the top mounts together wrong last time (whoops).

Then disaster. The VW top mount plates and nuts don't fit the Konis, and as the Konis were second hand, the guy I bought them off hadn't sent the Koni plates/nuts. I called the missus to go to B&Q for some M12 nuts and a 12mm drill bit, but the only nuts they had were the wrong thread. And then to top it off, the drill batterty died on me halfway through drilling the first plate. It was already getting late so I had to call it a day.

So the Corrado is off the road again for a week. I've ordered some nuts (M12 1.25 pitch, 19mm thin nut), and have brought the plates and drill home so I can work on them here. In another week, she may just be ready to go?

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    Got some nuts yesterday! I also drilled out all the plates and washers. They were fitted in 15 minutes, and the car was road-worthy again.

Well, kind of.

The car is incredibly skittish over bumps to the point where I'm struggling to keep control over bumps even at low speeds. I lose all feel over the bumps, and bump steer is a lot worse. There are a couple of problems that may be causing this..

Firstly, I noticed that the box that was used to post the struts to me had a big oil stain in it. I checked all the struts, and sure enough one of the fronts is leaking from the top adjustor. I bounced all four corners of the car, and the leaky strut offers very little resistance compared to the other three (I've even firmed this strut up as far as it will go, but still no difference..) The guy I got them off is sending another one to me.

Secondly, the alignment is probably miles out now. I can see the camber is way out, so that's probably not helping things. There's no point paying for wheel alignment yet though until I change the leaky strut.

The back is a bit creaky in reverse, but I think I may have tightened the top mounts too much.

It didn't help yesterday with the ABS kicking in every time I braked for the first 10 minutes - it was a relief when the ABS light finally came on (and stayed on), disabling the ABS. ABS is better today though

I take it the dampers are adjustable? What setting are they on? If they are on the hardest setting this will make them skittish, especially at the rear. I used to have mine about halfway on the rear and 3/4 firmness at the front. Noticed a huge difference when I whacked up the dial on the rears- horrid- immediately turned them back again!

Hopefully the new strut will improve things considerably + alignment is massively important. Good luck!
    'ave it!

Corrado Club of Great Britain

Gone, but not forgotten: Mystic Blue VR6 Storm
    Now: Avus Silver Audi S3 :: 1.8 20v Turbo :: BAM :: Recaro Leathers :: Bose :: Badger 5 v2 TIP :: Forge 007p :: 18" BBS RS2

Gallery

"Look Sir, Dubs,"

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    I drove it again home from work and it is really shocking to be honest! Every time the left-front (the leaky strut) hits a bit of bad road (and there are a lot of bad roads around here) I feel like I'm going to end up in the kerb. The right front isn't so bad, it doesn't move around quite so much if I hit a bump with that. I'm also getting a lot more wheel spin when moving off, and can hear the tyres screeching a little when in car parks (so doing about 5-10mph!)

Settings are currently half a turn from the softest setting all round, except for the leaky damper which is turned up to the firmest (that corner still bounces a hell of a lot more than the others though). Since there is no real difference to the 'bounce' of that corner of the car if I turn that one up or down, I may adjust it to the same as the others, just in case that's causing my problems.

All the signs suggest to me that the leaky damper is causing the problems, though running what looks like full negative camber isn't helping! The steering wheel isn't straight when driving straight either so I wouldn't be surprised if the toe is way out too.

Shame about all the bank holidays now - looks like I'm not going to get my replacement until next week at the earliest.

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    ATTEMPT 7 at sorting out the suspension!

I bit the bullet today and got a new set of Koni TAs from Larkspeed in Leeds. Rang them this morning to confirm they had them in stock, and collected this afternoon (in the Golf - I wasn't driving the Corrado further than I had to!). They were the cheapest web price I could find too, so that was a nice bonus.

I got round to fitting fronts before it went dark. Driving up to the lock up in the Corrado was a fight to keep the car out of the kerb. The tyres had worn quite a bit on the inside. The new struts were easy to work with, though I forgot to bring the new top mount bearings with me, so I had to fit the old broken ones. So they'll have to come off again soon.

I guesstimated the camber somewhere in the middle, and the wheels look a lot better now. I think there's a slight toe-out, but nothing too bad. And it drives better too! It's like driving a normal car again!

I've set the fronts at 1.5 turns from soft, and the rears were left at 0.5 turns, and the ride is actually pretty good.

I still want to fit the new rears (though the current rears seem okay-ish), and I also need to replace the front top mount bearings. Then I can get the alignment done and finally I'll be able to draw a line under the whole suspension saga!