Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Ant's VR6 - soon to return?

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    Some days you feel the car is really out to get you...

I need to change the front left and right rear ABS sensors as they're causing occasional ABS light issues. It was a nice-ish day today, so I thought it was a good opportunity to tackle them. Besides, it can't take long to replace a sensor, right?

Wrong.

I tackled the rear one first. The bolt came out fine but the sensor was seized in. I tried pulling to out, and the sensor fell to bits, leaving the metal casing in the hub. After much hammering and Plusgas later it finally loosened up but then I must have pushed it through to the other side. Damn.

So I had to pull the rear brakes apart to get at it from the other side. Finally got it out, reassembled the brakes and got the new sensor. But it wouldn't fit in the hole. The hole didn't feel too corroded, but I tried to sand it down anyway, but it didn't make much difference. I ended up snapping the bolt hole off the new sensor. I was about to give up but then I thought 'sod it, it WILL work'. I glued the sensor back together, dismantled the brakes again and got my drill out so I could widen the hole a little and get rid of the remaining corrosion. Finally, it fit like a glove, and I reassembled it all for the second time.

Routing the wire wasn't the easiest thing to do in the world with the car on the floor, but was a walk in the park compared to getting the sensor out. But then I completely forgot how to remove the rear seats and spent a while battling with those.

It took me nearly two and a half hours in total. The sun was getting low and I thought about doing the front sensor. It looked at the new part. I seemed easy compared to the rear one. How hard can it be? Then I saw sense and went inside. Nothing is ever easy on the Corrado. That battle can wait for another day.

If I was doing this job again, I'd remove the discs immediately once I'd found the sensor was stuck. It improves access massively, and the exposed sensor gives your hammer something to aim at.
    2004 Skoda Fabia VRS (daily)
    1995 VW Corrado VR6 Classic Green - Koni T/A + H&R springs, BMC CDA, Climatronic, BBS RCs, 288mm brakes

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    Over 4 years since the last post! She still exists.

The Schrick and cams made way for standard to make a bit of money back
    BBS RCs made way for Solitudes

Bodywork is looking a little worse for wear, but running fairly well. I replaced the ball joints, rear wishbone bushes and top mounts - it now handles better than it's ever done

Had a split downpipe, failed rear wheel bearing and failed front wheel bearing all leading to lengthy stays on the drive, but back on the road now.

Sunroof is bust

I never did get round to installing the aircon

A never-ending list of jobs to do on it

I STILL haven't found the squeak at the rear...
    1995 VW Corrado VR6 Classic Green - Koni T/A + H&R springs, BMC CDA, Climatronic, BBS RCs, 288mm brakes

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆

Exciting times

After the MOT failure in 2017, the car's been stood on the drive. I did consider welding myself and then decided against it. Then I was kind of paralysed by the fear of what it would cost to get the underside of the car sorted by a professional.

I don't know what changed this month, but I decided to take action and get a quote for the welding to the sills and arches. I got a quote from a recommended guy that was a lot lower than I had feared, and he also managed to locate two new sills from Germany which he'll swap in.

The car should be ready to go into the workshop in a couple of weeks' time - I'm now in the process of removing the carpets, interior and some of the body panels to help with the prep. The guy is doing a mini-restoration to the underside, so it will come back after all fixed up and protected.

It's just the start of the journey. The car will still need paint over the repairs when it comes back, and then a couple of mechanical repairs for the MOT, but it's exciting to see that there's a way ahead now.

I'm thinking of doing the spraying myself - I have a compressor that came with a paint gun, and I'm looking into options for a temporary spray booth (closed side gazebos). I've had decent results when painting before when I haven't rushed and made sure I followed the process carefully, so I'm feeling fairly confident.

This is only until I get a full respray, but that's a bit further down the road.

Good news! Sounds like it is worth doing the spraying yourself as it's usually a textured finish on the sills anyway

Are we talking thousands for welding? Just interested if I ever have to do it myself. My Jacking points had some surface rust but it's been treated and sealed for now
    1995 White VR6 CCGB Member 4303
    263 Cams & head refurb | 220 BHP Stealth remap| Miltek non res | Bilstein B12 | R32 Wishbone bushes | VT Mount

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    £600 including the new sills. Might go up a bit as I find other patches as I pull back the carpets!

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆ stuarttaylor37's Avatar
    Any idea where the guy found new sills from?

Quote Originally Posted by stuarttaylor37 View Post

https://www.vwheritage.com/191803207...-edge-vw-spare

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    Quote Originally Posted by stuarttaylor37 View Post
    Germany, he knew a 'guy' who can source panels, said they were the last two available from the supplier. Doesn't mean more don't exist though!

They've arrived today, just need to get it booked in now!

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    Saw these, luckily the inner sills and floor are factory fresh, just need the outer sills doing

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    Sills were sourced by Mount Panels in Leeds, website is here: http://www.mountpanels.com/