Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MK4/Polo Shifter

CF Nutter
    if you get a shifter from a ibiza 20v its already polo spec so no need to buy those extra parts

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Jaymo View Post
    Try a scrappy for the tower, mine cost a fiver. Very worthwhile mod.
    I've got some local to me, I'll drop in Sat morning.
    Best Car! - CCGB National Day 2013 Castle Combe

1994 VR6 - 2.5" Bastuck Exhaust - BBS RC's - 288 Front Brakes - Mk4 Rears - Bilstein B12 - Smoothed Rear - Moonroof - OBD2 -
    Braided Hoses - Aero Wipers - Short Shift - Black Heated Leather - SWG Scuttle Cover - OEM volt/oil gauges - 263 Cams - Carbonio Inlet -
    Golf Mk4 Handbrake

CF Nutter
    slight chance you need the bearing that the tower sits in , 2x 13mm bolts directly under where the tower is plus drain the oil

Try a scrappy for the tower, mine cost a fiver. Very worthwhile mod.
    I wish! Had to pay £30 this morning from my local scrappy but never mind I've got one now.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo29 View Post
    slight chance you need the bearing that the tower sits in , 2x 13mm bolts directly under where the tower is plus drain the oil
    I don't think I need the bearing as it should already be in the box. I have a spare 02A tower and the bottom end is the same as the 02J so should just be a straight swap.

1994 VR6 - 2.5" Bastuck Exhaust - BBS RC's - 288 Front Brakes - Mk4 Rears - Bilstein B12 - Smoothed Rear - Moonroof - OBD2 -
    Braided Hoses - Aero Wipers - Short Shift - Black Heated Leather - SWG Scuttle Cover - OEM volt/oil gauges - 263 Cams - Carbonio Inlet -
    Golf Mk4 Handbrake

CF Nutter
    ok sounds like youre okay...theyre not all the same though so worth anyone checking they have the right bits

Was that Charles Trent by any chance? I've been there twice and I've found them hit or miss on part prices. Maybe he charged you that because you e rendered a gearbox useless to them in their eyes?

Either way, it will be worth it in the end. I'm pretty chuffed with the conversion myself.

I drove mine back to back with Mics car and that has your short shift mod and found that the o2j shift mechanism was a bit heavier but just as nice to use. The throw was also quite short but that's because I had to cut a couple of inches from the gear stick it self.

Maybe a different tower weight will improve the heavier feel.

CF Nutter
    i found mine was too far travel side to side

heres what i did to make it ajustable

grind off the weld so you can remove the pin

drill down the pin so you can tap threads into it

file a slot where the hole was- bingo ajustable side to side movement

Was that Charles Trent by any chance? I've been there twice and I've found them hit or miss on part prices. Maybe he charged you that because you e rendered a gearbox useless to them in their eyes?
    Never heard of Charles Trent so Googled it and it's a bit far out. My nearest scrappy is 1 mile away in Stapleford so went there and yes you are right it rendered the gearbox useless.

Golf Mk4 Handbrake

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    I'm also in the process of carrying out this mod but there are a few things that have cropped up and i think are
    worthy of mention to help others planning on doing the same thing to their corrados.
    The main issue concerns the polo tdi housing, or at least the version supplied to me from Vw here in Rome but
    ordered in from Germany, P/N: 6NO 711 061A. My supplied version is different than the version photoed by Dave16v, The
    first thing that differs is the size of the holes that secure the gear lever's plastic ball into the actual
    housing, the two Torx bolts present on the golf 4 or Audi A3's gearshift housing with part number KO 711 061A won't fit as they are too big,
    so you'll need smaller Torx bolts off something else, also the fixing plate, P/N: IKO 711 061A off the 2005 model Audi A3/Golf 4 is
    also bigger so the holes don't align up when securing down the actual gear stick into the aluminium polo tdi's housing so you'll have to drill another hole on the bracket.
    Ok, Nothing huge but still a bit of a ball ache, especially if you new polo housing's gear stick mounting holes aren't
    even bloody well threaded!! Yep, brand new housing and they forgot to thread the holes..
    Remember also that in order to separate and actually remove the gear stick your going to have to compress the spring and remove the securing collar
    Again, not rocket science but fiddly.
    Lastly, I noticed that, at least on the version supplied to me, there's a small aluminium ear or lug present which serves as a resting point for the
    sideways movement spring, both ends of the spring rest on it, on the 2005 gearshift it's incorporated onto the fixing bracket along with a small rubber bung thing
    that serves as the rest so in order to refit the relay lever P/N: 6n0 711 611 c first snap off the lug then fit the lever otherwise the lever won't sit flush
    and it won't work.
    Phew, sorry for the long post but i think that it should be pointed out that this mod isn't exactly 'Plug and Play' as other forums would make you believe..
    All of my components, both new and used, were all made in 2005, as stamped on the Aluminium polo tdi housing, gearshift housing off a golf 4 etc.