Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't Get VAGCOM and interface cable to talk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can't Get VAGCOM and interface cable to talk

Hi

Just posting a short conversation between me and Elliott trying to get VAGCOM working on my laptop.

Originally Posted by Elliott Coupland
    Yeah, it's the free 1.1 lite version your after. You can find it here at the bottom of the pagehttp://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/download/index.html

Let me know if it works, you might need to change the latency on the usb port your using?

This is handy also. http://www.airbagnews.com/PDF/Fehler...%20english.pdf

Good luck
    elliott

Thanks for that. I'll try it again this evening. I was having a problem when setting up the comms port in the VCDS options page. It didn't seem to recognise anything. Can't remember what the message was now. Have deleted all the files and down a system restore back to before I tried loading anything. So hopefully things will work now.

Cheers

David

Have now tried it and still not getting connected. I'm getting the message Ross-Tech USB Interface Not Found! Interface: Not Found

Did you get this? I've tried the software you and Easypops sent me and the software on the disc supplied and still get this.

Any clues? Oh - I've changed the Latency to 5 as well

Cheers

David
    '96 VR6 Moonlight Blue Leather - unmolested (so far)...headlamp upgrade, Lupo Wipers, BBS RS771s 16"
    CCGB 3420

I got mine working last night, I also had the not recognising it problem, You need to have the cable plugged into your laptop and i found that i needed to be able to connect to the internet(wifi) until it was recognised............it only worked on comm port 3. Your welcome to pop over to mine at any point to see if there are any noticable differences............... I didn't get a chance to try it tonight to make sure its still working but i can't see any reason why it wouldn't be
    95 Classic Green Storm
    95 Flash Red VR6

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
    For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible

Ooooh, I can be helpful! hehe

Right what you need to do is plug the usb interface in and then wait until its loaded and done the beedum beedum sound etc then go to device manager, I'll have to double check when I'm on my laptop but in device manager there should be a heading named ports & interfaces or similar. Expand that and right click on the usb interface, go to properties and in the options somewhere you should be able to change which comm port you want it to use, choose 3 or 4, save settings then go back to vagcom and choose the corresponding port. You'll need to have the usb plugged into your car (with the ignition on) to test it and get an ok.

Hope that sorts your problem! Sorry if its a bit vague but my memory is worse than a goldfish.

Red 16v gone
    Red VR32.. WIP

Is it a Ross-Tech interface or a cheapy clone one? Mine's a clone (£8!) and it just has a usb-to-serial adaptor inside, with the serial half attached to the car's serial port. When you plug it into the PC, the USB drivers should set it up as a COM port - as swiftkid said it'll most likely be COM3. Once in the Vag-com interface, hit the 'Options' button, then choose COM3 from the options in the top-left corner. Hit 'Test' and it'll pop you up a dialog box saying if it passed or failed. The Save button will light up, hit that to save your configuration and it should 'just work'. If not, try COM4. Can't remember if it has to already be connected to the car when you do the testing bit, try that if it still won't work.

Stone

Easypops, Swiftkid and Stonejag. Thanks for your help. Not in any particular order...

Stonejag. My cable is a cheapy clone - £8 on ebay.

Swiftkid. Don't worry about being vague. I knew the places you were meaning so have had a look. My laptop has 3 USB ports. When I get to the place in Device Manager that you refer to I find 2 RIM Virtual Serial ports and 1 USB Serial port. These are numbered COM 7, 8 and 9. In the advanced settings I can change the port numbers. The dropdown says that COM 1 to 9 are all in use except COM 2. This shows the same whether I look at the USB Serial port or the RIM Virtual Serial ports. Since COM 2 is not in use I'll try that and let you know the outcome. I'm assuming that I shouldn't set the port to any of the COM numbers that say they are 'in use'.

Easypops. I wonder if that's the problem. I can't get wifi on my laptop when I'm out in the garage all plugged in. I'll try all the above again and see if I can position things to get a wifi signal. If that still doesn't solve it I'll contact you.

Cheers for all your help

D
    '96 VR6 Moonlight Blue Leather - unmolested (so far)...headlamp upgrade, Lupo Wipers, BBS RS771s 16"
    CCGB 3420

Are you using XP? Is it one of the blue, transparent cheapy units? Did you install the drivers from the mini-CD that came with it? It sounds like you might have the same driver installed more than once, which would probably confuse it...if it's XP, you could try uninstalling all the COM port drivers and really starting from scratch (right-click the ports in Device Manager and hit Uninstall, then reboot with the adaptor plugged in and let it sort it all out with the Add New Hardware wizard - feed it the mini-CD when it asks). I assume you don't have any other devices that use virtual COM ports - modems etc?

Failing that you could revert to an older version of VAG-COM - I use 409.1 with no problems at all, and it still lets you do everything you need it for. Works fine for me without a network signal - even the first time after install.

Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Stonejag View Post
    Are you using XP? Is it one of the blue, transparent cheapy units? Did you install the drivers from the mini-CD that came with it? It sounds like you might have the same driver installed more than once, which would probably confuse it...if it's XP, you could try uninstalling all the COM port drivers and really starting from scratch (right-click the ports in Device Manager and hit Uninstall, then reboot with the adaptor plugged in and let it sort it all out with the Add New Hardware wizard - feed it the mini-CD when it asks). I assume you don't have any other devices that use virtual COM ports - modems etc?

Failing that you could revert to an older version of VAG-COM - I use 409.1 with no problems at all, and it still lets you do everything you need it for. Works fine for me without a network signal - even the first time after install.

Stone
    Yes, I'm Using XP and Yes it's a blue transparent one. I've tried various combinations of software - downloading one which has the COM1 to COM4 options, one that has that plus a USB option, the one on the mini CD. In between I've been uninstalling the software to try to ensure that the computer didn't get confused, but I haven't uninstalled the COM port drivers. Other than external harddrives, memory sticks and my phone, I don't connect any other devices - so I'll give it another go.

Cheers

D
    CCGB 3420

In that case I'd start by clearing out any and all drivers to do with the COM ports, then a clean reboot to let it sort itself out. Reboot again before plugging the cable in. It should either install automagically or ask you for the CD - then the driver should default to COM3, since 1 and 2 are usually reserved for physical ports. Then you test the interface in the Vag-com software like normal.

Fingers crossed!

8 COM ports in use! Wow! You can over-ride a COM port though. Just pick the one you want, close device manager, go back in and it should be set. The only time it will rebuff your attempt to do that is when the port is actively in use. Assuming you don't have any other devices that use COM ports, it sounds like some virtual ports are being clung onto by a rogue app/s somewhere. As suggested try and uninstall as much crud as you can.

It's a right frickin pain. I have a genuine Ross tech HEX+CAN lead and even that still does all this nonsense. I have to shuffle com ports around until it works, but if the test fails, try pulling the USB lead out and putting it back in again. That worked when testing an A4 the other week.
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

How did it go? Have you got the two to talk to each other?
    Elliotts 93 weathered valver"No Significant Problems"