Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't Get VAGCOM and interface cable to talk

Shelf fitting duties have been imposed and 'get yourself ready for the holiday' so not much progress. TBH, I think that there is so much junk on the laptop that I should flatten it, reload the OS and start from scratch. I've tried most things except Fishwick's suggestion. Will back up the stuff I want and then try that. Thanks for asking. How's the car progressing, did you get to the bottom of the prob you has the day we went to Scone? I've has a Hot restarting problem. I think it's lack of fuel. will idle - though not as cleanly as usual, but as soon as you open the throttle is just tries to die. It eventually clears - 3-5 minutes - then runs fine.

D
    '96 VR6 Moonlight Blue Leather - unmolested (so far)...headlamp upgrade, Lupo Wipers, BBS RS771s 16"
    CCGB 3420

DIY... it never ends...

Once you get the laptop sorted any idle problems will be highlighted by vagcom. It's a must have for any vag owner I'd say, only thing is you'll now know about problems you never thought you had...

Have fun
    elliott
    Elliotts 93 weathered valver"No Significant Problems"

Hi Guys

Back to trying to get this to work. I've flattened/reformatted the laptop and re-installed the operating system, and have started again with the Vag-Com installation. Vag-Com is installed and I have managed to get the hardware wizard to recognise the cable...but (you knew that was coming), still can't get Vag-Com to find the interface. On Vag-Com Com3 I get 'Error 32 while accessing port, Interface:Not Found!' and on the Com4 and USB settings I get 'Port status OK, Interface: Not Found!'

I've not tried getting the connection while in the car, but may try that later this morning if this storm dies down.

Question - can't remember where to go to set the latency to 5, and can't find the places to set the COM Port to COM3 in the Device Manager.
    Can someone remind me where these are? I think that the OS reinstall may have altered what I can get access to.

Cheers
    '96 VR6 Moonlight Blue Leather - unmolested (so far)...headlamp upgrade, Lupo Wipers, BBS RS771s 16"
    CCGB 3420

i can help you on this one,i had pretty much same problem as you.
    Plug the vagcom cable in.Does windows make three short bleeps as opposed to one longer bleep(as when you plug in a usb device)?

you need to install the drivers for the cable correctly first.this link will install them
    http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/...WHQL_Certified

Make sure the cable is unplugged first.install the drivers. report back when you got this done and ill help you along the way

Marders ate my corrado!

1991 US G60 in tornado red
    1990 G60 red-Now 20vt....298bhp and 304lb/f on Aral 102 octance on 30 PSI boost and crazy timing!!!

Hi Dannyboy

I've done that. Windows makes 2 bleeps when you plug in and unplug the cable. When I tried the link, it didn't seem to work, so I used the http: address and worked out what I was looking for. I've used the WHQL_Certified driver on the page at the link below.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

It's and .exe file, that seemed to put something into DOS - a DOS window opened during install - there was no install wizard. I've tried it again with the cable and still not getting a link. Easypops has reminded me about the latency and that is set at 5 now.

Do you have further instruction?

Cheers
    CCGB 3420

your trying to use a virtual usb drivers one which is more of a pain than a direct drivers.Im running windows 7 so its a little easier but it shouldnt really matter

The link should work,i dont have any problems opening it,it should have a promot to open or save a file.So check your download bar is appearring on top of the webpage (windows xp) or check your security settings

plug cable into computer,go to control panel>device manager. when you look down the list you should see 'PORTS'.click on it and drop-down u should have 'USB serial port (COM1 or simialir).double click to view the properties and look under driver tab.The provider should be 'FTDI',the driver date 18/03/2011, and the version should be 2.8.14.0
    If it is thats a good start,if not you need to use the direct drivers on the D2XX page,down the page under windows the 2.8.14,click on the 2.8.14(not the beta version) and you can download the drivers

Report back when you complete this

Marders ate my corrado!

1990 G60 red-Now 20vt....298bhp and 304lb/f on Aral 102 octance on 30 PSI boost and crazy timing!!!

Thanks I'll try that. I use Chrome normally, I'll try downloading it via Explorer to see if that helps. It did download, but the computer didn't recognise the file type.

Cheers
    CCGB 3420

At last - got it working. Thanks for everyone's help

D
    CCGB 3420

Blog Entries
    im still having isues with my ebay cable, how did you fix yours then?

Quote Originally Posted by quicky1980 View Post
    im still having isues with my ebay cable, how did you fix yours then?
    I maybe able to talk you through it if u like quickly
    I had problems initially but sorted them

Marders ate my corrado!