Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: URGENT: check your battery wiring TODAY!

Last thing you want is a fire you can't put out - I hope I never have to use my extinguisher.

Will check live feed.

Thanks Stone,
    "You see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig...you dig!"

Just checked mine, looks like its had it, will be replacing it thats for sure, its really wobbly around the connection there.

---------- Post added at 2:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:03 PM ----------

Think i've actually been looking at the earth
    Just like a golf................But better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonejag View Post
    found the culprit - a single thick wire, red with black tracer. to the positive battery terminal had parted ways. .
    Have you got a photo of this wire as I can't find it.

All red or a thick black. Agrees with the 1995 Wiring Diagram and 1994 is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RW1 View Post
    Have you got a photo of this wire as I can't find it.

All red or a thick black. Agrees with the 1995 Wiring Diagram and 1994 is the same.
    You are quite right - on closer inspection it is a solid red wire. The reason I thought it had a black chaser is because the insulation is charred! I have obviously had a very lucky escape.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CHECK THIS WIRE BEFORE YOUR LOOM CATCHES FIRE!

Stone
    RIP: '95 Blackberry Corrado VR6 auto
    Daily: 2003 DPB Mk4 R32

The wire end is not OEM. Its been remade and badly at that!!
    See the brass ring tag to the front and slightly below the one you are pointing out. Thats OEM and it should look like that.

And the one underneath the faulty one behind the OEM looks a badly repaired crimp as well.

This is the original installation, 2 views:
    Top - Looking towards the windscreen washer bottle.
    Bottom - Looking towards the left radiator fan.

Battery Connection - Corrado 220312.JPG

Ignore the two blue ring tag connections along with the double red partly sheaved in black. They are not standard Corrado.

The OEM are all brass coloured crimped ring tags. 2 single red wires and a double red wire.

Somebody has bodged a double repair on those two cables in your photgraph and both need remaking properly.

And the OEM lowest (double red) in the photo next to the black fabric pipe has broken its insulaltion as well. Thats just waiting to happen!

Last edited by RW1; 22nd March 2012 at 9:58 PM.

Cheeky, I repaired both those silver crimps and they're solid as anything The original OEM brass one was what had failed, I had to snip a good inch off the end before recrimping it to get back to a good bit of wire. The temporary AA repair was just folded on with pliers, I pulled it off the wire end without even having to uncrimp it...

The silver crimps aren't going anywhere, they're both crimped correctly with the appropriate tool. I might revisit them at some point if I find some of the original style terminals (to give a little more strain relief) but the second crimped point was where the original wire failed!
    RIP: '95 Blackberry Corrado VR6 auto
    Daily: 2003 DPB Mk4 R32

These tales are always helpful to everyone and help build our knowledge of what sh!t can happen to us unwitting souls.
    Remember, though, guys, you do not need to use your current-drawing fog lamps unless the visibility is less than 100 metres in fog/smoke or blowing snow. IIRC.
    In Scotland, the police will delight in booking you if you do. <100 metres visibility is actually relatively rare.

easy cheap fix,fit a rover 75 battery cable,available in every breakers in the land.
    anyone in need of mig welding/light fabrication
    car audio/wiring/car servicing?

Sorry wrong topic!
    Last edited by seanl82; 28th November 2012 at 6:24 PM.
    95 Classic Green VR6 - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982

since reading this thread I have checked the wiring and also the battery. Replaced the battery with new Bosch Heavy Duty item, which in itself seems to have transformed the car electricaly speaking. I also now have a small powder fire extinguisher in the cabin and a larger one in the boot!!..
    94 16v Classic Green M447BLE, 95 VR6 Aqua Blue N585BUA, 95 VR6 Storm Mystic Blue M200DAN, 94 VR6 Classic Green M159LYF, 96 VR6 Moonlight Blue N866XSX, 94 VR6 Classic Green M803 XMB, 95 VR6 Storm Classic Green M964XSX, 94 VR6 Aqua Blue M420BOY, 95 VR6 Blackberry N320MRN, 95 VR6 Storm Classic Green N804FLM, 95 VR6 Storm Classic Green N479WAN