Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VR6 injectors...cleaner is better!

VR6 injectors...cleaner is better!

Just had all 6 injectors ultrasonically cleaned and flow tested (at £25 each) to try and cure an intermittent 'induction backfire' problem. Thought my car was running reasonably well beforehand and it did well at a recent RR-day but:

Cold-start is now instant. Always started first-turn but was taking a few seconds before it would catch. Think this might be down to losing fuel rail pressure via a leaky injector?

Start-up feels 'smoother'.

Idle is totally solid with no 'charateristic VR6' lumpiness.

Throttle response is much sharper, engine is generally more refined.

My mileage (120k) and care (FSH, regular oil changes/filters etc) are fairly typical so I would have thought that other owners might be suffering similar, without even realising it???

HTH.
    JohnJ
    Satin Silver '96 VR6

CF Nutter
    i put a bottle full of injector cleaner (not just your average redex off the shelf at halfords stuff) in the tank at every service....

.. what added advantage will getting them taken out and cleaned give?

did you ever put fuel injector cleaner in to try before getting them all done?

I've heard this of ultrasonic injector cleaning before, it sounds like a good thing to keep up your sleeve. Not something you'd want to try "on the offchance", given that £25 each makes £150... but.. worth a thought.
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

No never did try cleaner, was thinking about giving it a go but my car was off the road waiting for a bearing anyway so I took the chance to get them refurbed.

I suppose taking them out to be cleaned and tested means 100% certainty that they are good. I was told each injector has its own built-in filter (true?) and these were pretty gunged up, presumably injector cleaner would not have been able to entirely clean the filter elements?
    JohnJ
    Satin Silver '96 VR6

CF Nutter
    well the stuff i use (which my mechanic friend gets me for free, aparently you cant buy it in the uk???? i'll have to ask him what it is) makes a difference from what i can tell. especially the first time you use it.... thereafter it wont be as noticable as its just 'keeping' them clean instead of cleaning for the first time. But mine runs fine if thats anything to go by?

I had the injectors on my 16V MKI golf ultrasonically cleaned and the difference was unreal! It went from running mildly lean all the time to being spot on with the fuelling and made her fly like she always should have done...

I had tried red-ex injector cleaner in the past with it and it had made a small difference, but that seemed to only last a little while... The ultrasonic cleaning will get ALL the in-grained muck off them and get them back to being basically like new again.

The only thing to watch for is that if the injectors are worn as well as being dirty, they may develop a leak after you have them cleaned as the crud you clean out may have been making the seal effective... 2 of the 8 injectors I had done (don't ask, long story! ) failed in the test after the clean for precisely this reason...

I'd still get it done again if I wasn't gonna replace my injectors with red tops in 1500 miles or so...
    H-YYU - '91 Pearl Grey G60... was 251.7 BHP SOLD
    J562DUB - Aqua blue G60 - RIP
    H714HKC - Tornado Red 1.8 16V - RIP

CF-oholic!
    Sounds like it's well worth the investment... how much to new OE injectors cost though? Are you better to just replace them?
    Pedestrianised.
    '95 Satin Silver VR .: Koni :: H&R ::TT brakes :: Compomotive :: Magnex :: Recaro :: Audioscape :: DDI :.
    '93 Satin Silver VR .: Koni :: H&R :.
    '94 Aqua Blue VR .: RI(many)P :.

VR injectors are about £50 each new from Euro crud, but I reckon they can be had for less if you shop around.

£25 seems a lot for the cleaning but that does include flow checking and balancing to ensure all 6 deliver the same rate over time. Only snag is your carless for X amount of days.

Cleaning just doesn't sound as good as 'new' physcologially though!
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

Au contraire, Mr Haywire, I think cleaning sounds great, as it implies CHEAPNESS!!
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

If cheap was better then you wouldn't be taking your car to Stealth for chains, clutch and Schrick now would we?

You'd have made the parts yourself from crushed coke cans and had a back street garage do it all
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32