Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steering Column Mod - Quick, Effective and Cheap!

Steering Column Mod - Quick, Effective and Cheap!

Hi all, just wanted to share a little mod I carried out on my vr6 earlier, to cure the up/down movement from the play in the adjuster.
    I know a lot of people simply replace the column for a fixed one, but I think this mod could save the hassle and expense.
    I apologise for only the 'after' photos, but I only thought about putting it on here after I'd done it.

Basically I removed the large spring which is supposed to keep the column taut when adjusting it and replaced it with a long bolt, along with a penny washer and nut. This was possible after removing the lower dash panel and drilling a 6mm hole in the domed area which would have been in the centre of the spring.
    A picture tells a thousand words so they say, so here's a couple; hopefully they show clearly what I have done:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1993 Corrado Vr6
    Forged rods & pistons
    Stealth Turbo conversion
    330mm front discs, Porsche Brembos
    OBD2 conversion

The play I had in my column has completely gone now and the car feels much nicer to drive...
    Obviously the column is now fixed, but all you need to do is set where you want it before tightening the nut.
    1993 Corrado Vr6
    Forged rods & pistons
    Stealth Turbo conversion
    OBD2 conversion

Great idea that ill be doin that then as mine has a fair bit of play up and down

Hah, clever! Nothing stopping you putting the spring back afterwards either.

One concern though - if the column is supposed to be adjustable, does your MOT require it to actually be adjustable? If not I might have a crack at this at the weekend

Stone
    RIP: '95 Blackberry Corrado VR6 auto
    Daily: 2003 DPB Mk4 R32

I can't see it being a problem for MOT, I would think the sloppy up/down movement would/should be more of an issue! It's completely reversible anyway.
    I have just been out for another drive and the difference in how the steering feels is surprising, so much sloppiness has vanished. :-)
    1993 Corrado Vr6
    Forged rods & pistons
    Stealth Turbo conversion
    OBD2 conversion

very good idea and alot cheaper than replacing the column, the only thing that i might suggest is that you use a locknut as the last thing you would want is it to loosen off whilst you was driving!!

Regarding MOT, mine was done last Friday and they picked up on the play in the steering column and marked it down as not fixing in position and failed it.

When I first got the car it had a bit of play but when the lever was pulled you could fix it down lower with no play.
    Come the MOT the adjustment lever would not operate, when it failed the MOT I was worried I would have to replace the whole thing but when I removed the cowling, I noticed a 'split pin' hanging about 10mm out of the assembly. On further inspection I found that this was the pin that locked the column in place. Well mine had slipped out and found its way behind the mechanism. I pulled the pin all the way out, pulled the column fully down replaced the pin and voila fully adjustable and no play at all. Took 5 minutes.
    Just something to check before replacing the entire column.

Great idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by goozie View Post
    very good idea and alot cheaper than replacing the column, the only thing that i might suggest is that you use a locknut as the last thing you would want is it to loosen off whilst you was driving!!
    I used a spot of Loctite ;-)
    But even if it were to loosen, it would only bring back the up/down play that was there before, nothing more.
    1993 Corrado Vr6
    Forged rods & pistons
    Stealth Turbo conversion
    OBD2 conversion

Noticed a quiet big play in my one do have to think about foxing it. Your idea is very good.
    Green Storm - New project

Anyone tried this yet?
    1993 Corrado Vr6
    Forged rods & pistons
    Stealth Turbo conversion
    OBD2 conversion