Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steering Column Mod - Quick, Effective and Cheap!

Nice! Will give this a go!
    1993 Aqua Blue VR6, Porsche d90s, Heated Black Leather, Ported & Polished Head, K&N, Miltek + de-cat, KW V1, 288mm mk4 turbo brakes, Lupo Wipers.

I'll give this a go too- cracking idea and saves so much hassle.
    'ave it!

Corrado Club of Great Britain

Gone, but not forgotten: Mystic Blue VR6 Storm
    Now: Avus Silver Audi S3 :: 1.8 20v Turbo :: BAM :: Recaro Leathers :: Bose :: Badger 5 v2 TIP :: Forge 007p :: 18" BBS RS2

Gallery

"Look Sir, Dubs,"

ya legend, gona do this tomorrow

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Did you do anything to stop the bolt chaffing the wiring?

Nice work BTW

No need, as neither the bolt or the wiring moves at all. Obviously you could though if you were concerned about it.

Cheers
    1993 Corrado Vr6
    Forged rods & pistons
    Stealth Turbo conversion
    330mm front discs, Porsche Brembos
    OBD2 conversion

Tried and tested ;)

So, my C failed its MOT due to excess play in the steering column (up & down), but CazzaVR pointed me at this topic so I got down to B&Q and bought some M6 x 100 bolts, M6 nuts and a coupla different size washers, and tried it out...

Here's the steering column underside with cowling and steering wheel removed, you can see the tensioning spring to the lower left:
    IMAG0358.jpg

Side on it looks like this:
    IMAG0357.jpg

And here's how I took it out with a couple of pairs of molegrips (not sure how much compression it was under)!
    IMAG0359.jpg

So now you can see the 'dome' that the far end of the spring sat on - this needs drilling to get your bolt through:
    IMAG0363.jpg

To get a good start, I holepunched the middle of the dome, which also shows the path of the drillbit later:
    IMAG0364.jpg

But that was a bit too close to the wiring, so I disconnected it and pulled it under the column and to the right (and also removed the column adjustment lever and the top cowling):
    IMAG0365.jpgIMAG0368.jpg

When I first tried to drill the 6mm hole in the dome, I realised that the black plastic of the stalk switch housing would foul, so I moved them out of the way too:
    IMAG0369.jpg

The hole was pretty tricky to drill and it made a LOT of swarf, so make sure you cover ALL of the switches and connectors, and either lay down some rags or be ready to bin your drivers mat afterwards! Having drilled the hole I cleaned up the edges with a Dremel and set the column at the right angle for me, as it will effectively be permanently set unless I want to undo all the nuts etc. to adjust the angle at a later date (unlikely!)

I went for double nuts on both sides of both the pieces of metal that the bolt goes through, so that none of the nuts would slip (they are modestly tightened against their neighbours) and that the bolt would brace the column both up (in tension) and down (in compression). Yeah, it is belt and braces, but don't want to have to adjust it again, just set and forget:
    IMAG0370.jpg

In this pic you can see the two larger (repair) washers at the front (right of pic) where the large hole is, and two regular M6 washers at the rear (left of pic) where there's a neat-ish 6mm hole, and double nuts to brace the bolt properly and prevent each other from loosening:
    IMAG0371.jpg

I trimmed the last 15-20mm from the bolt (after I took these pics) so that I could get the lower cowling back on properly, so an M6 x 80mm bolt would be ideal.

Parts:
    1 off M6 x 80mm bolt ideally
    2 off 6-32mm repair washers
    2 off M6 washer
    6 off M6 nut

Labour:
    About 2 hours start to finish, with a bit of faff as I worked out where the steering wheel should be so that it was level when driving in a straight line!

Result:
    WAY better, really solid, only slight up/down movement is due to the column moving the mounting point on the chassis!

Hopefully that'll be an MOT pass now... Thanks for the idea somersetdub!
    Last edited by ProdigalSon; 25th April 2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: being a pedant
    Aqua Blue Pearl '91 G60, The Beginning
    Satin Silver Pearl '92 G60, The Return
    Uprated: Wipers, Charger, Induction, Hoses, Exhaust, Lights, Clutch, Coilies
    New: Brakes, Screen, Wishbones, Ignition, Fuelling, Paint!
    CCGB#2830

Nice write up!
    Glad the idea has been of use to someone else, I couldn't believe the difference it made when I first tried it.
    I like the idea of having nuts in between to fix it further still, I shall probably revisit mine sometime as I did it using a few bits I had lying around rather than shopping for specific sized bolts etc.
    With your step by step guide, this little mod is made even easier to carry out!

Cheers :-)
    1993 Corrado Vr6
    Forged rods & pistons
    Stealth Turbo conversion
    330mm front discs, Porsche Brembos
    OBD2 conversion

I'll probably start selling these kits with an endorsement for only £50

1990 Dark Burgundy Pearl Corrado 16v - Project Plum
    1989 Black Mark 2 Golf GTi 8v - Willow

It passed the MOT retest (unsurprisingly, as that bolt could probably hold the entire weight of ther car) so I'm happy

Thanks again to somersetdub and CazzaVR
    Aqua Blue Pearl '91 G60, The Beginning
    Satin Silver Pearl '92 G60, The Return
    Uprated: Wipers, Charger, Induction, Hoses, Exhaust, Lights, Clutch, Coilies
    New: Brakes, Screen, Wishbones, Ignition, Fuelling, Paint!
    CCGB#2830

Did this today. Worked really well.
    Just for a tip, drill the hole from the back, all you have to do is remove the dashboard undertray and you have easy access to drill the 6mm hole.

Jay
    A sense of Deja vu!....