Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: diy tracker

Enthusiast

diy tracker

cool, that "map your mobile" thing looks brilliant, very handy

Enthusiast
    and also if they find the phone and steal that to you know where they would be also in person ... LOL untill they take the sim out bnut still a very good idea

and the best thing about this it's all done by you and not the police... so you could go around at night with your key and just drive away with no ****y paperwork YEY mind you you will have to get the locks changed...

nice
    [align=center]1993 Late Spec VW Corrado In Flash RED + 2005 Seat IBIZA Cupra R Onvi Yellow[/align]

Administrator
    Hm.. if the free example is anything to go by, its not the most accurate service.

Directed me to a location about 2 miles away from where I currently am!!

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | 1999 BMW E39 523i SE (with Sport Pack) Saloon (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

CF-oholic!
    same here says where im close to within 3.5km so the car could be just about anywhere really
    1993 corrado vr6,in flash red,spax coilovers, 17" ats dtm mesh alloys,magnex stainlessteel cat back exhaust,black electric recaro leather seats,DDI reverse glow dials,312mm audi tt brake set up..now got a GSXR750(2001)

Administrator
    I mean.. its still cool that you could pinpoint it roughly, but it could be garaged or anything.

I guess GPS costs so much for a reason!

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | 1999 BMW E39 523i SE (with Sport Pack) Saloon (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

Enthusiast
    anyone research 'boomerang'?

i dunno much about it, but i'll be getting one eventually.

Regular
    A lot of companies do this mobile phone tracking thing - I was talking to one at a show a few months back and from what I understand it basically works by telling you which phone mast the phone is connected to.

So in a remote place you could have a very wide area but in somewhere like London it could be reasonably accurate - from what I can remember I think I've got that the right way round!

i actually fit tracking systems we do one called trackbox same size as a mobile but it uses gps accurate to a couple of meters and communicates using encrypted text messages uses a web based map system to locate your car or it can send latitude and longitude of its possition to your mobile
    they are not currently availiable to the public but will be soon at around 299 quid with fitting included i think.
    i will let people know soon and will try and hastle the boss for a forum discount very simple to fit may be availiable as a diy install kit as well.
    will keep you posted
    SNS 5.5, 68mm pulley, RSR outlet, BBM boost pipes, mocal oil cooler, weitec hicon TX coilovers, BBS RM's, mk4 golf rear calipers, audioscape doorpods, rear strut brace, CCGB member 3541

I've just bought a TrakM8 which sounds very similar to this trackbox system.... The major differences are that it can be wired into your alarm so that it alerts you if the alarm has been triggered.... it's also got 2 or 3 other inputs you can wire into it, and most importantly, it has a 12V out that can be triggered via a text message which can be used to kill the engine if you ever get carjacked!

It'll also tell you your fastest speed, 0-60 times and acts as a black box recorder too, and you can hook it into a laptop and use it as a GPS source for a navigation program!

However, it's not cheap (£450 or £500 for the thatcham Q rated version) but IMHO a well worthy expenditure...
    H-YYU - '91 Pearl Grey G60... was 251.7 BHP SOLD
    J562DUB - Aqua blue G60 - RIP
    H714HKC - Tornado Red 1.8 16V - RIP