Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R32 Conversion Help/Advice - Mk4/Mk5 Loom differences, Mk5 ECU details, Loom splice

Enthusiast
    Blog Entries

R32 Conversion Help/Advice - Mk4/Mk5 Loom differences, Mk5 ECU details, Loom splice

Hi all,

I know this has been covered in the 24v thread but I have decided to start my own thread in an effort to find any other help/advice.

Basically the story stands as follows, I bought the job lot for the MK5 engine with MK4 everything else, so loom, ecu, pedal, ancillaries, fuel rail etc etc.

Now I'm almost at the engine out point for my corrado ready to drop the new one in, but I appear to have hit a large barrier. According to both Stealth and SWICT, my setup will not work. It's down to the Mk4 engine producing a Cam position signal quite different to the Mk5, but this will not be immediately noticable.

The advice provided to me by both is either to: get a Mk4 head and swap it, or a Mk4 engine, or mk5 loom, pedal and ecu. As you might imagine both routes are bringing their own problems and cost and it's getting very difficult to carry on.

My first question for you knowledgable types, I have asked this already but as I said there may be others who haven't read my posts on the 24v thread.

-Vince has sent me the pinouts for the most common and recommended Mk5 ECU (PN ends in CP IIRC). Now both the ECU and pedal don't seem extremely difficult to source, although I haven't yet. Does anyone know if it's possible to adapt my MK4 loom to a Mk5 ECU? I can possibly source any plugs that are different from VAG directly, but I want to avoid spending huge amounts.

-I have tried to source what I need from eBay, breakers yards, and even by googling what I want or part numbers, to no avail yet. I've even had one breaker yard laugh at me! Any suggestions or know where I could source these parts? I know I have had an offer for an ECU (and appreciate it) but don't want to inconvenience you.

-Finally, If it is possible and I go ahead and adapt the Mk4 loom to work with the Mk5 gear, I may as well go the whole hog and do the loom conversion into my VR6 corrado myself. The guide is fantastic but the whole loom conversion is brushed over and getting someone else to do it is favoured by most, so does anyone have a guide or advice on exactly what I need to do?

I am in norwich, if there are any knowledgable types who are willing to help me with the car, I will offer what I can in return. I am hour building for becoming a commercial pilot, so anyone who helps me I will be glad to take for a flight (deadly serious, i fly a few times a week).

I have text Chris (the seller NormanCoal) to see if he knows something I don't but had no reply yet, I don't know if someone is able to ask him and see if he was aware of the problems and has done the necessary to prevent this?.

Please help me! I am really stumped.

---------- Post added at 2:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

I've just realised FishWick has already answered one of these, sorry mate!

So the MK4 loom doesn't look much different to the Mk5? Any idea what part number I can use for the throttle pedal?

These pinouts should help, so now all I really need to find is a MK5 ecu and pedal!
    1993 Dark Burgundy Pearl VR6

On balance, sourcing a MK4 head would appear to be the easiest option! But not cheap, because as well as the cost of the head, you also need to factor in another £150ish for the HG and head bolts. It does sound like the definitive fix though from what you've been told.
    Did Vince also tell you the MK4 ECU is better for mapping? The MK5 still appears to be a bit of an unknown entity in tuning circles and there aren't many maps for it yet.

Did he say what the differences are between MK5 and MK4 heads? The cam trigger wheels are part of the VVT variators, so in theory just swapping those over should be all that's required if they are different, but I guess there must be some oil way differences or something otherwise they wouldn't suggest a different head.

Either way, I applaud this thread. In fact I was thinking of creating a 24V info thread myself, getting right down to the nitty gritty as it's such a grey area.

RE the MK4 loom, I forgot actually that the cam sensor wiring was a different colour when I compared it to Sam's (quicky1980) MK5 loom.

Still, it's doable. I took a MK4 loom, put it on a MK5 engine, had the pinouts for my ECU and just worked it out the old fashioned way with an end-to-end buzzer test.

I will assist in any way I can. I have a full version of VAG-COM and quite a lot of experience in wiring looms now!! Norwich isn't that far from me, I'm just outside Ipswich. Just the hateful A140 seperating us!
    Last edited by Kevin Bacon; 23rd May 2012 at 2:13 PM.
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

Enthusiast
    Blog Entries
    Tell you what, it's Kev isn't it?

If i get hold of a Mk5 ECU with the pn Vince gave me (he said this is the best to use as he has a lot of experience and information on it) maybe we could look at this over a saturday? I'll obviously cover your fuel costs and keep you fed and watered! If you bring the r32, extra brownie points .

So mk4 R32 pedal is a no-no for the Mk5 ECU, what pedal is best to use?

I really hope this is a goer, I know what you're saying about the head but this is a minter I can't deny, so I'd rather keep the engine intact. Plus just an ecu and pedal, would this not be the cheapest fix if it works, if we can get the loom to work?

Yeah that's me

I was talking to Jon at Stealth today about my MK5 ECU conversion and he said the engine harness is the same on MK4 and MK5, save for a couple of plug and wire colour differences as we've already discussed. It's the car/pedal loom that's different apparently. So long as things are OK, end to end, then there's no reason why it won't work.

I use a 4Motion pedal mate, which is about £45+VAT from your friendly Robinsons Stealer We know this works because people have done R32 conversions into MK4s and the stock pedals have worked fine. The R32 pedal is a completely different plug and one that's hard to get hold of, so stick to the 4mo one.

Apparently the head differences are in the cams and VVT housings, so yeah, stick with the motor you've got!!

Yeah we can certainly lay the loom out on a Saturday and figure it all out. I don't think it will be a problem tbh.
    Let me know when you've got your ECU and we'll pencil something in!

Enthusiast
    Blog Entries
    Kev,

From Sam's post in the 24v thread, he has pointed me towards 2 Audi ECUs. This ECU part number Vince gave me is not producing one to buy anywhere!

I was thinking I could just get me one of these Audi ECUs, do you think it would cause me any problems with the immo defeats? Or is it best to keep searching for a Mk5?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-TT-Co...#ht_517wt_1156

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-8P...2#ht_914wt_986

The two Sam Posted (thanks Sam).

I don't know enough about the OE ECUs to be able to tell you for sure mate. Vince is definitely the man on that one I'm afraid!

Enthusiast
    Blog Entries
    I have just been looking through the wiring and checking the plugs over. The cam sensors (two grey plugs look to be at the end of each cam) don't appear to be the same fit as the plugs on my loom, how did you overcome this kev? Just order in the right plugs and wire them in?

Enthusiast
    Blog Entries
    Ok guys, spoke with SWICT, looks like the cam position sensor (although it doesnt change between marks) on some has a slightly different plug. To get it to work with my loom I will have to either change plugs or get the sensor with the right plug. The latter is easier.

That isn't quite true fella. On my 2006 Audi BDB engine, I have a pair black cam sensors which are the same as the MK4's (BFH). On Heresites's 2007 MK5 BUB engine, he has a pair of smaller, grey cam sensors. Whether that is a cosmetic change I don't know, but I doubt it As you said, the cam sensor issue only reveals itself at high rpm, so you must therefore need the corresponding ECU to the sensors, or, swap the sensors to earlier ones. But I dunno....I have a hunch the trigger wheels on the cams are different as well.

Enthusiast
    Blog Entries
    Kev,

I've managed to get hold of the mk5 engine loom, but no ecu to fusebox loom! Still on the hunt for an ecu too, i can make a proper comparison and write up for others now I have both a MK5 and mk4 engine loom.

I was hoping still to get your help, I'm likely now to just do the loom work myself to get it working, it doesn't look that difficult!

I will let you know when I get the ecu then we can meet up to get this sorted?
    Cheers